Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD $220

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2021 2:51 pm
Dec 22, 2010
755 posts
738 upvotes
Ontario
gtfodude wrote: I don't have a hole for the NVMe but as I saw that it was a good deal I bought one :twisted:
Join in the club. lol
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
2981 posts
1066 upvotes
Thanks op. Ordered!

Can anyone recommend a compatible heatsink that will fit in the ps5?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
4249 posts
1672 upvotes
Belle River
KenA wrote: Thanks op. Ordered!

Can anyone recommend a compatible heatsink that will fit in the ps5?
newegg-samsung-980-pro-1tb-pcie-4-0-nvm ... #p34820179
TypeVR6 wrote: I installed the following:

M.2 2280 SSD Heatsink Cooler (Green) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B089NV5CLJ/ref ... 13A55WVHBF

I got the yellow one which is now sold out :). I made no modification, just slapped this on and installed it into the Ps5. Formatted and the moved contents from USB over to the new nvme ssd.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
wongster wrote: From this review the Samsung 980 seems to be a pretty good nvme dram less to me. Especially if you look at the 1tb test section on last page.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sa ... d-review/3
I did not say the 980 is bad, it is not a good value for a DRAMless drive

980 performance is good as long as the SLC cache is not full

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sams ... tb/17.html
Destiny is all
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
Dhanushan wrote: I did not say the 980 is bad, it is not a good value for a DRAMless drive

Ya, I'm seeing the same trend with the SN750 SE. It's getting maligned but it should be a solid product and a nice successor to the SN550. Both companies are just taking heat for naming the drives too similarly to more premium products and the pricing for both make them hard to recommend.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2011
5851 posts
5492 upvotes
Calgary
Got mine one day shipping, installed it into the PS5, booted it up... Only to realize I don't have the PS5 beta to make use of it. DOH!

teksavvy sucks
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: I did not say the 980 is bad, it is not a good value for a DRAMless drive

I feel like the pricing is still too aggressive, as the performance profile outside of sequential transfers isn't as impressive as one would expect for a PCIe 4.0 drive.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: I feel like the pricing is still too aggressive, as the performance profile outside of sequential transfers isn't as impressive as one would expect for a PCIe 4.0 drive.
My reply was regarding the non-pro PCIe 3.0 drive
Destiny is all
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: I feel like the pricing is still too aggressive, as the performance profile outside of sequential transfers isn't as impressive as one would expect for a PCIe 4.0 drive.
I think you're confusing the SN750 SE and the 980. The 980 is listed as a PCIe 3.0 drive. Though outside of that, I'm not sure there is actually a huge difference between the two drives, right down to them both being overpriced for what they are.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: My reply was regarding the non-pro PCIe 3.0 drive
Fair, I'm still disappointed with the 980 base.
Jep4444 wrote: I think you're confusing the SN750 SE and the 980. The 980 is listed as a PCIe 3.0 drive. Though outside of that, I'm not sure there is actually a huge difference between the two drives, right down to them both being overpriced for what they are.
Overpriced, yes. Disappointed, yes.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Aug 12, 2010
882 posts
533 upvotes
Isn't the fastest but cheaper than most. As soon as the PS5 update goes live expect to see the prices jump back up since demand will skyrocket.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2015
1500 posts
2329 upvotes
weaser999 wrote: Isn't the fastest but cheaper than most. As soon as the PS5 update goes live expect to see the prices jump back up since demand will skyrocket.
No. If you've bewn tracking it, the prices won't rise. The products will just be out of stock until they are restocked. SSD prices especially m.2 nvme fell at the height of the shortage while everything from sdram and psu and gpu and cpu skyrocketed.

The market is simply oversaturated with SSD's and an update going live on PS5 won't do much beyond making OEM's look towards making heatsinks that fit better in that enclosure. Look how few people are buying the Seagate expansion card for the Series X which is plug and play. You sure as heck aren't going to see Consumer Joe and Jane buy a $200-$400 nvme m.2 drive, open up their PS5 and start installing even if storage is small and runs out. The average consumer is ignorant and lazy.

That said, I still think for right now, I'd probably wait to get a drive. Sizes are increasing as prices drop. Pcie 3.0 drives are the cheapwst they've ever been and more will make pcie 4.0 drives with larger capacities too.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2011
5851 posts
5492 upvotes
Calgary
I would just buy it now if you need storage as soon as the PS5 update is live for everyone or if you got the beta already. I honestly can't see prices going down that much in a year. The 980 pro went on sale briefly to $219.99 in June according to Keepa price tracker. And the 2TB went down to $449. Really don't need 2TB though.

There are even a couple of used ones on Amazon Warehouse at $219.46 right now.
teksavvy sucks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7410 posts
6686 upvotes
Toronto
$220 for the 980 Pro. Not bad huh. Let's say Black Friday/Christmas roll around in a few months, how much more are we saving, if at all, realistically before Spring 2022?
Koodo Mobile
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
Said212 wrote: $220 for the 980 Pro. Not bad huh. Let's say Black Friday/Christmas roll around in a few months, how much more are we saving, if at all, realistically before Spring 2022?
Don't count on a massive price break during Black Friday, the US Congress is planning an 'infrastructure' package and a second social spending package. This second package is expected to bake in further inflation, sometimes referred to as Biden inflation in the popular media.

I'm buying early due to that potential outcome.

This is a good price for the 980 Pro, and add the PS5 factor, and it may be slightly more expensive later. Also, Chia people may start to take notice at this price.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7410 posts
6686 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: Don't count on a massive price break during Black Friday, the US Congress is planning an 'infrastructure' package and a second social spending package. This second package is expected to bake in further inflation, sometimes referred to as Biden inflation in the popular media.

I'm buying early due to that potential outcome.

This is a good price for the 980 Pro, and add the PS5 factor, and it may be slightly more expensive later. Also, Chia people may start to take notice at this price.
Fair enough. I will bite at this price. A bunch of games coming this fall. The other compatible SSDs have no discount whatsoever. I thought they might want to compete with Samsung for the early adopters.

Just need to find a heatsink now...the ones people tagged, yellow and green etc., seem to be OOS. If anyone has alternatives, please share.
Koodo Mobile
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
3127 posts
2182 upvotes
Said212 wrote: Fair enough. I will bite at this price. A bunch of games coming this fall. The other compatible SSDs have no discount whatsoever. I thought they might want to compete with Samsung for the early adopters.

Just need to find a heatsink now...the ones people tagged, yellow and green etc., seem to be OOS. If anyone has alternatives, please share.
Sabrent Heatsink at Amazon will do ya. $33 in black. Much more in silver/gold...
1077 upvotes
BC
got 1 for 213.89 from Amazon WH... I can see 1 remaining...
I also got a heatsink for 9

heatsink

hopefully PS5 releases the update before my return period lapses (just in case I got a dud)
Aug 12, 2010
882 posts
533 upvotes
flamenko wrote: Sabrent Heatsink at Amazon will do ya. $33 in black. Much more in silver/gold...
Kinda makes me wonder if it's better to leave the metal cover on or off that goes over the nvme on the ps5. I have a usb fan that automatically blows into my ps5 as soon as the console powers on, it almost seems to me like having that metal cover over the m.2 drive would prevent airflow. Any thoughts on this?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)