Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

Newegg • Tenda P200 Powerline Mini Adapter Kit • $33/pair including shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2013 12:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
2525 posts
1046 upvotes
Burnaby
if you';re getting crappy performance, try a different outlet. id think household wiring quality/age makes a difference.
Feb 25, 2009
535 posts
109 upvotes
Montreal
CanuckGreg wrote: Can anyone comment on the speed/stability of these versus one of the next gen 500 mbps set-ups? Like other posters, I'm finding that wi-fi just isn't cutting it to push media (streamed from internet and off a networked HDD) to my TV, and have been considering trying one of the powerline products. Is the Actiontec PWR511K01 500 mbps for $49 worth an extra $20 (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... &CatId=211)?
Powerline adaptors are more stable than WIFI, I have used it since almost 10 years with Belkin 85Mbs model. I have just replaced it with 500Mbs model. I don't recommend the Actionec 500 Mbs, it's much slower than the Trendnet (I have bought 2 brands of 500 Mbs). The speed you can get depends on the wiring of your house it may be very bad, you have to try on place to see if it's usable for you. Sometime just changing the wall outlet the speed change completly.

Don't buy the Actionec, just wait a little bit, I have seen many times Dell has the Trendnet 500Mbs pair onsale for about 45$. The last time was 30$ that was the lowest price I have seen that why I couldn't resist to buy it althrough I did not really need it :-)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
ThomasTran wrote: Powerline adaptors are more stable than WIFI
Not necessarily. It really depends. Powerline adapters CAN be more stable than WiFi, but often aren't, because as you said it depends on the wiring topology and wiring quality in your house, and the WiFi placement for the router and client. In my case in one spot WiFi was better, and in another spot powerline was better.

In the end though I just installed wired Ethernet. If you don't want to fish cables through the walls, depending on your setup you can sometimes either run it along the wall in conduit or else you can run it along the outer wall of the house. For the latter you need to buy outdoor-rated Ethernet cable though.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
EugW wrote: Not necessarily. It really depends. Powerline adapters CAN be more stable than WiFi, but often aren't, because as you said it depends on the wiring topology and wiring quality in your house, and the WiFi placement for the router and client. In my case in one spot WiFi was better, and in another spot powerline was better.

In the end though I just installed wired Ethernet. If you don't want to fish cables through the walls, depending on your setup you can sometimes either run it along the wall in conduit or else you can run it along the outer wall of the house. For the latter you need to buy outdoor-rated Ethernet cable though.
Or just use regular Ethernet cable and replace it every few years lol
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
The thing about powerline ethernet speeds is that the maximum speed goes up with each generation, but the range through your household wiring at those maximum speeds goes down. So while doubling the maximum speed may work when they are plugged into the same socket next to each other, you may get only 30% more speed at your actual remote outlet.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
1016 posts
260 upvotes
Ottawa
ThomasTran wrote: Powerline adaptors are more stable than WIFI, I have used it since almost 10 years with Belkin 85Mbs model. I have just replaced it with 500Mbs model. I don't recommend the Actionec 500 Mbs, it's much slower than the Trendnet (I have bought 2 brands of 500 Mbs). The speed you can get depends on the wiring of your house it may be very bad, you have to try on place to see if it's usable for you. Sometime just changing the wall outlet the speed change completly.

Don't buy the Actionec, just wait a little bit, I have seen many times Dell has the Trendnet 500Mbs pair onsale for about 45$. The last time was 30$ that was the lowest price I have seen that why I couldn't resist to buy it althrough I did not really need it :-)
Thanks for the advice - much appreciated.
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10229 posts
3142 upvotes
Montreal
Awesome deal, ordered! Needed this for my old Xbox 360 that only has a wired connection.

This Tenda P200 claims to support the IEEE 802.3 standard so it SHOULD work with my Netgear AV500 powerline kit. So I only have to use ONE of the Tenda P200 units and join it to my existing Powerline network using the Windows software. You just need one on the powerline attached to the router, then all the "other ones" connect to the one attached to the router (bridge).
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
I was looking into these to improve the signal between my computers upstairs and the router in the basement but someone on RFD had wrote that some of these adapters get pretty hot when running. How are these units?

TIA...
bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29130 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
t3359 wrote: How are these units?
Warm. A bit warmer than body temperature but not hot at all.
veni, vidi, Visa
Nov 27, 2004
991 posts
90 upvotes
If I already have an older set of adapters how willi know if these trenda ones will work with them?
Jun 10, 2008
164 posts
20 upvotes
Anybody who has received them know if these are rated at 110v only or for both 110/220v? Need a pair for my vacay home which is 220v. When it comes to ratings the product page js different than the actual sticker onthe item when you receive it ive seem.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
1016 posts
260 upvotes
Ottawa
wilsonlam97 wrote: Wireless AC > Powerline.
My understanding is that client devices that will support 802.11ac are few and far between.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Both my Trendnet and Belkin powerline ethernet adapters are 110-240v, so probably they are all dual voltage. Makes sense, there's no reason why they wouldn't be. But considering that household power wiring standards can be different in different countries, you might need to experiment to know if they will work in another country that uses 220v. In Canada 220v is provided at some outlets by using the difference between two phases. I'm not sure how that affects transmission of the signal. In other countries where the base utility power is 220v there might only be one phase, which would be fine for powerline ethernet transmission.
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10229 posts
3142 upvotes
Montreal
k__dam wrote: If I already have an older set of adapters how willi know if these trenda ones will work with them?
Look for the standard on your "old ones". The Trenda ones are IEEE 802.3 so your old ones must be this standard as well.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29130 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
k__dam wrote: If I already have an older set of adapters how willi know if these trenda ones will work with them?
Read upthread to this post.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29130 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mirzank wrote: Anybody who has received them know if these are rated at 110v only or for both 110/220v?
100V-240V, 50/60Hz
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2006
1119 posts
63 upvotes
Thornhill
If you plug this into one of the wall outlets, will there be space to plug anything else into the other outlet?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29130 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Yes. In fact the plugs on the Tenda aren't even polarized so you can plug the unit upside down and it will still work fine.

I have a power bar plugged into the bottom socket of a duplex outlet. It has to be that way because the molded AC power cord comes out from the bottom of the plug. If I plugged it into the top socket in the AC duplex the power bar's plug would block the bottom socket. I had no choice but to plug the power bar in the bottom socket and the Tenda upside down in the top socket. As a bonus that way the Ethernet jack is now at the top of the Tenda unit so it's more convenient too.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2009
1413 posts
630 upvotes
phew, I thought about that after I ordered them..the plug I will be using is nowhere near another one

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)