Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

Tplink C7 $79.99 Wireless AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Router

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2018 6:55 pm
38 replies
Mar 8, 2004
879 posts
398 upvotes
Barrie
It hits this price on/off throughout the major sale times. It was $79.99 for BF as well.

It's currently 1 cent cheaper at Amazon.ca and probably faster shipping if you're a prime member.

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Wireless- ... =Archer+C7

I have one just over a year now with 40+ clients connected, works great. Clients are a mix of hardwire/2.4Ghz/5Ghz. Smartening up my home added a lot of new connections lately. No complaints, works great for a medium sized home (Under 1700 sq.ft)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6759 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
Videotron supplied a router for me for free so I have a BNIB unit that I bought a year ago which I don't need.

If you're in Montreal, I'll sell it for $60.

PM me, if interested.
Phils
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
3232 posts
2876 upvotes
GTA Ontario
It would be good to add "router" (even better to add "Wireless AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Router") to the title so that everyone looking for a router will notice it, not just those who happen to know what a "C7" is.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3482 posts
3868 upvotes
Antarctica
Reviews dont look as favorable.

Any alternatives to this? Needs to be reliable first.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4809 posts
1805 upvotes
OakAged wrote: It would be good to add "router" (even better to add "Wireless AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Router") to the title so that everyone looking for a router will notice it, not just those who happen to know what a "C7" is.
Good point fixed the title. Thank you
Dec 14, 2012
639 posts
840 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks OP for sharing this. I found that it is the same sale price on Amazon and bestbuy. Just picked up one from bestbuy in this afternoon. According to the reviews on Amazon, this model is pretty good for this price. So far, I'm pretty satisfied with this router.
Jun 6, 2007
501 posts
193 upvotes
CAPRICA
Had these for a couple of years, had lots of issues with it, would not recommend to a friend. Latest firmware is some what better but is US only, they still haven't updated Canadian firmware.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3482 posts
3868 upvotes
Antarctica
mac_bug wrote: Had these for a couple of years, had lots of issues with it, would not recommend to a friend. Latest firmware is some what better but is US only, they still haven't updated Canadian firmware.
What would you recommend?
Jun 6, 2007
501 posts
193 upvotes
CAPRICA
Crichtonfan wrote: What would you recommend?
If you are going to go with custom firmware then it's probably fine, so long as your internet speed isn't faster than 100mbps since ddwrt doesn't support hardware NAT so transfer speeds suffer. That Lede thing looks promising though.

I just had lots of problems with its wifi on iOS devices for whatever reason. Used to get disconnected hourly, lately the iPads in the house would randomly get disconnected from 5ghz and go to 2.4 but wouldn't get an IP, even though my Chromecast is still perfectly happy on 2.4.

No idea what's better at the same price point. All my android devices are just fine though.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3482 posts
3868 upvotes
Antarctica
Ok, thank you! I am not really looking forward to flashing custom firmwares so i guess ill keep looking.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1318 posts
371 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I dunno if there's better for cheaper than 80$. Mine works great with the latest US firmware or DD-WRT depending on your preferences. If you want better need to spend over 100$ for the dlink 882 at the source at a minimum.
Jul 23, 2012
521 posts
210 upvotes
Montreal
mac_bug wrote:
If you are going to go with custom firmware then it's probably fine, so long as your internet speed isn't faster than 100mbps since ddwrt doesn't support hardware NAT so transfer speeds suffer. That Lede thing looks promising though.

I just had lots of problems with its wifi on iOS devices for whatever reason. Used to get disconnected hourly, lately the iPads in the house would randomly get disconnected from 5ghz and go to 2.4 but wouldn't get an IP, even though my Chromecast is still perfectly happy on 2.4.

No idea what's better at the same price point. All my android devices are just fine though.
Didn't know this with ddwrt; research says the same thing. Currently have a wdr3600 acting as a switch and my internet speeds are still over 100Mbps; haven't tested to see if I'm getting gigabit speeds. Would it be better to switch it back to stock or look for another cfw? Probably a silly question to ask but at stock I can still use the WAN port to connect the wdr3600 to the main router?

EDIT: Stock gives the same functionality with NAT. Also learnt that someone made a patch for AR71xx processors to get NAT on LEDE: https://github.com/gwlim/mips74k-ar71xx-lede-patch
Last edited by beneran89 on Dec 29th, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 6, 2007
501 posts
193 upvotes
CAPRICA
Crichtonfan wrote: Ok, thank you! I am not really looking forward to flashing custom firmwares so i guess ill keep looking.
If I had to buy one how I would probably get the Netgear AC1900 R7000 based on the number of available firmware updates alone. They are one of the only mainstream manufacturers to provide security fix for the latest wifi vulnerability.

Though it also costs twice as much.

Why not just get the c7 and try them out for 30 days? If you do encounter an issue, it's free shipping to return to Amazon.
Jun 6, 2007
501 posts
193 upvotes
CAPRICA
beneran89 wrote: Didn't know this with ddwrt; research says the same thing. Currently have a wdr3600 acting as a switch and my internet speeds are still over 100Mbps; haven't tested to see if I'm getting gigabit speeds. Would it be better to switch it back to stock or look for another cfw? Probably a silly question to ask but at stock I can still use the WAN port to connect the wdr3600 to the main router?
My friend got 150mbps internet and he had to go back to stock firmware on his cheapo refurbished Linksys to hit that speed. If you haven't noticed anything through benchmarking then it's probably just fine, I personally don't transfer enough data for it to matter.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
My WRT1900AC Linksys is rock solid and has great range. Just FYI if anyone is able to find one used or on sale.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
mac_bug wrote: My friend got 150mbps internet and he had to go back to stock firmware on his cheapo refurbished Linksys to hit that speed. If you haven't noticed anything through benchmarking then it's probably just fine, I personally don't transfer enough data for it to matter.
Yes, stock firmware by linksys is better optimized for the chipset. The open-source folks are still waiting on their drivers.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4370 upvotes
Winnipeg
weedb0y wrote: Yes, stock firmware by linksys is better optimized for the chipset. The open-source folks are still waiting on their drivers.
always have been waiting.

I think its better to just buy a power full dual core dirt cheap like under 50 for a refurb load the opensource, turn off wifi and spend the money on a couple of ac1200 or better extenders to do the wifi.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _band.html

you can buy the third and do 3 with its mesh
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
lead wrote: always have been waiting.

I think its better to just buy a power full dual core dirt cheap like under 50 for a refurb load the opensource, turn off wifi and spend the money on a couple of ac1200 or better extenders to do the wifi.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _band.html

you can buy the third and do 3 with its mesh
opensource is crap now, all over. With faster AC chipsets, most of the 3rd party firmwares are not offering much anymore.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)