Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO 179.99

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2019 7:41 pm
185 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
1300 posts
2445 upvotes
I think OP is understating it. I used to go through routers/access points like crazy until I picked up a Ubiquiti UniFi AP (the long range variant) and I haven't needed to think about my AP solution ever again. Has loads of advanced settings, I actually get great speeds and my whole house is covered. By far the best bang for your buck. There's a reason they've been a dominant force in the commercial industry.
Sep 19, 2007
409 posts
274 upvotes
Vancouver
Great AP. If anyone wants to run the software in a dedicated manner you can do it well on GCP using this guide: https://metis.fi/en/2018/02/unifi-on-gcp/
Otherwise, if you're just using it at home, you can easily do it in Windows and shut down the software after setting it up initially (there's no need to run the controller all the time if you keep it simple)

I pair the AP-AC-Pro with an EdgeRouter Lite and have never looked back
Jun 28, 2012
83 posts
265 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
HOT HOT HOT

This is for the LR version (best range)

$143 on Amazon with fulfillment by Amazon!!!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/ ... dp_olp_new

This is for the Lite version (cheapest)

$115 on Amazon with fulfillment by Amazon!!!

Free shipping as well.
Last edited by rohitsid on Mar 6th, 2019 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 5, 2007
321 posts
1043 upvotes
North York
What is it with all these redirect links. I use a VPN that blocks redirects, as it should and have to find the products manually.
Sep 19, 2007
409 posts
274 upvotes
Vancouver
rohitsid wrote: HOT HOT HOT

This is for the LR version (best range)

$143 on Amazon with fulfillment by Amazon!!!

That's the LR. Not worth it for home use. You may as well save some money and get the AP-AC-Lite instead
Long range communication really depends on the device that will be sending the signals back. If you're using this with a phone, the phone won't be able to send the signal back to the AP (but it will still see the AP as having "good signal"). Resulting in a poor connection. In fact for regular it's recommended you set 2.4Ghz to low transmit power and 5Ghz to high
Sep 19, 2007
409 posts
274 upvotes
Vancouver
rflair wrote: What is it with all these redirect links. I use a VPN that blocks redirects, as it should and have to find the products manually.
That's how RFD makes money
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2712 posts
678 upvotes
Burlington
Great deal, my current wholesale cost is $197. Buy bye by!
Not your standard VoIP. Different and novel options & advice for my RFD friends.
Banned
Feb 20, 2007
3042 posts
1316 upvotes
So should I go for LR or PRO version?
Jul 14, 2002
644 posts
293 upvotes
Mississauga
You make sense. Do you have any reading material that backs this up with real world experience? I generally deploy LR and if the practical coverage is the same, I’d happily save another $30 a pop.
BlueFyre wrote: That's the LR. Not worth it for home use. You may as well save some money and get the AP-AC-Lite instead
Long range communication really depends on the device that will be sending the signals back. If you're using this with a phone, the phone won't be able to send the signal back to the AP (but it will still see the AP as having "good signal"). Resulting in a poor connection. In fact for regular it's recommended you set 2.4Ghz to low transmit power and 5Ghz to high
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
LeeCLeeC wrote: Good wireless AP.
I mean... if we're doing pass fail then sure.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Sep 19, 2007
409 posts
274 upvotes
Vancouver
TriggerHappy wrote: You make sense. Do you have any reading material that backs this up with real world experience? I generally deploy LR and if the practical coverage is the same, I’d happily save another $30 a pop.
I did a bit of digging prior to making the comment and I think I'll have to back peddle slightly on it
It seems that the older LR design was using the high transmit power as I indicated, however the AP-AC-LR seems to talk about an improved antenna design for longer range with mobile phones in mind. Reference: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wir ... -p/1512348

I don't have any real world experience with the Lite as I use the Pro. And for what it's worth I get good speeds across the 3 floors of my townhouse and decent coverage in the adjacent units
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Not worth getting anything other than nanohd(s) IMO at this point for home use.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7236 posts
3052 upvotes
GTA
BlueFyre wrote: In fact for regular it's recommended you set 2.4Ghz to low transmit power and 5Ghz to high
No.

5Ghz has low penetration through obstacles as evident by the frequency wavelength. I wouldn't set it to high at all, i would just use 2.4ghz and keep 5Ghz for closer proximity, also note 5Ghz is terrible for wireless devices (on battery) as these devices will consume way more power to communicate over 5Ghz.
5Ghz does carry higher bandwidth though and should be used with devices that are plugged in power maybe, like laptops etc.

I don't think we need 5Ghz for iphones and droids and thermostats.

BinaryJay wrote: Not worth getting anything other than nanohd(s) IMO at this point for home use.
why
Dec 5, 2012
26 posts
13 upvotes
CALGARY
BinaryJay wrote: Not worth getting anything other than nanohd(s) IMO at this point for home use.
ya. hot deal for nanohd, i think everyone should spend 250+ for an access point that will become obsolete in a year when wifi6 comes mainstream.
best deal by far is the ac-lite, pro if you need better speeds. the wave2 stuff is horrible buy. only buy if you have too much money and don't know what to do with it.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2010
1192 posts
936 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Would this work as a complement to an existing modem/router combo such as Shaw XB6 modem? My big issue with that is that there don't seem to be many 2.4ghz radios and I've got a few more devices (such as cheap smart plugs/WiFi cameras from other deals here) plus my old laptops that don't have 5ghz so I think I need a router/AP that can handle more 2.4ghz devices, but I love the speed of 5ghz for my other devices.

I guess my question is can I give this AP the same ssid as my Shaw router and it'll work as an extender?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)