Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3569 posts
575 upvotes
Mississauga

On the news, red light camera ticket dispute

I just saw this and thought it's strange how the clerk told him it's because he was too close to the sidewalk?
I thought it's just because he didn't stop at the line and tripped the camera.
If it was legal, wouldn't the review by a personnel filter this out already?

http://www.680news.com/video/2017/08/09 ... egal-turn/
43 replies
Penalty Box
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8496 upvotes
GTHA
Toronto man says he received $325 ticket after making legal turn
Sean Batson says he received a $325 ticket for making a right turn at Eglinton and Danforth – something that is perfectly legal to do at that intersection.

Penalty Box
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8496 upvotes
GTHA
Drivers claim red light camera is ticketing incorrectly
Several CityNews viewers claim a red light camera in Scarborough is malfunctioning and drivers are paying the price for it. CityNews reporter Pam Seatle has the details.

Jul 20, 2012
590 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder if he turned right without stopping.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1862 posts
335 upvotes
m4r 1k8
tk1000 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 9:04 pm
Drivers claim red light camera is ticketing incorrectly
Several CityNews viewers claim a red light camera in Scarborough is malfunctioning and drivers are paying the price for it. CityNews reporter Pam Seatle has the details.

is it me or is she pronouncing kilometers awkwardly? and mayor john tory is a moron, "we cant have officers sitting at the corner watching people turn illegally?" bruh everyone knows and its been proven that the inventors of the red light camera's were intended and invented for $$$ purposes no dispute about it, and they are easily modifiable to timing constraints i.e. after how many seconds you turn on a red light or go through it ...
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
1899 posts
1053 upvotes
Ottawa
Take a close look at the up close photos on the paper he's holding; it says he was going 040km/h. Clearly he didn't stop and make a legal right turn, but instead rolled right through which WILL trigger the red light camera.
Feb 19, 2012
903 posts
594 upvotes
Woodbridge
Chrno wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 9:07 am
Take a close look at the up close photos on the paper he's holding; it says he was going 040km/h. Clearly he didn't stop and make a legal right turn, but instead rolled right through which WILL trigger the red light camera.
Nice catch.

In all honesty, that camera is going to be far more reliable than many of the drivers in the GTA. Lousy drivers are commonplace in Ontario. The people disputing these tickets simply failed to stop before making their turns. Still, with the media attention this has received I wonder if some of these drivers will be able to get their tickets tossed despite failing to stop?
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
1899 posts
1053 upvotes
Ottawa
greybrick wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 9:50 am
Still, with the media attention this has received I wonder if some of these drivers will be able to get their tickets tossed despite failing to stop?
Unlikely. Even if they take it to court, the onus is on the defendant to prove that there is a malfunction with the equipment that caused it to read the speed incorrectly. Good luck with that.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3134 posts
642 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
I don't understand all the hate for red light cameras and the "cash grab" insults thrown at them. Putting aside this issue of a small number of possible malfunctions when turning right, we're talking about people running reds. there's a picture of them before the stopline and the light is red. Plus a picture of them past the stop line with the light still red. No dispute they ran a red.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3569 posts
575 upvotes
Mississauga
Oh, I didn't see it says 40km/h. That's why it's triggering the camera. Don't think he'll win the case then.
Feb 19, 2012
903 posts
594 upvotes
Woodbridge
Kevinck wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 10:25 am
I don't understand all the hate for red light cameras and the "cash grab" insults thrown at them. Putting aside this issue of a small number of possible malfunctions when turning right, we're talking about people running reds. there's a picture of them before the stopline and the light is red. Plus a picture of them past the stop line with the light still red. No dispute they ran a red.
The hate for cameras is simple; you're more likely to be caught for a traffic infraction if there are cameras than if there are none. Nobody likes to get caught when they break the law. Cameras make it far more difficult to actually get away with poor driving which makes them the bane of motorists and the friend of revenue collectors.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3209 posts
2344 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Chrno wrote:
This! There's no way he came to a full stop if he was clocked at 40 kph in the photo. Glad he got caught. Too many people do this.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2260 posts
756 upvotes
Calgary
greybrick wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 10:37 am
The hate for cameras is simple; you're more likely to be caught for a traffic infraction if there are cameras than if there are none. Nobody likes to get caught when they break the law. Cameras make it far more difficult to actually get away with poor driving which makes them the bane of motorists and the friend of revenue collectors.
Around here we have red light cams that also flash if you go through a green light too fast. Everyone knows where they are so people will just slow down to go through the intersection and then speed right back up a few seconds after. If anything these cams make it more likely for rear end collisions to happen because people get nervous around them.
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
49330 posts
14590 upvotes
Chrno wrote:
Cool. So the red light camera will not take photos of cars who stopped before the intersection for a few seconds and then proceed when it is deemed safe?
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
49330 posts
14590 upvotes
Can he get a conviction now that he revealed himself as the driver? :)