Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2033 posts
1387 upvotes
Ottawa
alanbrenton wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 12:51 pm
Cool. So the red light camera will not take photos of cars who stopped before the intersection for a few seconds and then proceed when it is deemed safe?
I believe it takes going over a certain speed for the cameras to trigger. In the video they said it was between 35-40km/h, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's lower.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10650 posts
1686 upvotes
Toronto
Chrno wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 9:07 am
Take a close look at the up close photos on the paper he's holding; it says he was going 040km/h. Clearly he didn't stop and make a legal right turn, but instead rolled right through which WILL trigger the red light camera.
I have a feeling alot of people genuinely think a slowdown roll is a stop. I've turned there but don't remember if it's on a red. I'll maybe have to 'test' it out.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5925 posts
1387 upvotes
???
That's what picture looks like if you run the stop.

If you've ever seen a red light camera work it takes two pictures within half a second. So at the 0.00 mark it takes a picture and at the half second mark it takes another picture. How it determines if you're gonna run it is simple. There are two sensor pads like ones used for traffic control (to determine if a vehicle is at a light) at the line where you are suppose to stop. The first one you hit primes the system. The second one you hit will determine your speed. If you're going too fast to mathematically stop in time meaning coming to a dead zero stop. It will take a picture. Exactly when you hit the second pad. That is the first picture you see at the top of the sheet. The second picture will show you either in the middle of the intersection or in the first videos case on the pedestrian cross walk about to complete the turn.

The speed calculation shown is the measured distance between pad 1 and pad 2 and how long you took to cross it. It is measured in time since the distance is fixed. The quicker you cross both pads the faster you are going.

The charge is accurate in the video. It shows pad 2 activation picture (top). A speed calculation of 40 km/hr. calculated by how quick the vehicle hit pad 1 then pad 2. And the bttom picture showing him in the intersection.

If the camera was faulty it would be two pictures of him still at the white line not him displaced as in the second picture.

The god damn right turn at red is not why you're being charged you goof, it's because you did not come to a complete stop before making the red.

Sorry, I've almost died because of people not stopping before making a right.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5925 posts
1387 upvotes
???
For those that are curious. The cut off is 10km/hr and under. Meaning if you roll a stop doing 10 km/hr or under it won't trigger the camera. The margin is too small to determine beyond a reasonable doubt that you ran the intersection at that speed.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50591 posts
15356 upvotes
vaportech wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 5:08 am
For those that are curious. The cut off is 10km/hr and under. Meaning if you roll a stop doing 10 km/hr or under it won't trigger the camera. The margin is too small to determine beyond a reasonable doubt that you ran the intersection at that speed.
At 10, you won't almost die, correct? :)
Jul 22, 2008
7 posts
tk1000 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 10:45 pm
Toronto man says he received $325 ticket after making legal turn
Sean Batson says he received a $325 ticket for making a right turn at Eglinton and Danforth – something that is perfectly legal to do at that intersection.

well I just got one at same place for same thing says I was doing 30 km was red for .4 sec said I went thou at 2.1 sec so what was I doing for 1.7 sec stopped
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4833 posts
4002 upvotes
Kevinck wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 10:25 am
I don't understand all the hate for red light cameras and the "cash grab" insults thrown at them. Putting aside this issue of a small number of possible malfunctions when turning right, we're talking about people running reds. there's a picture of them before the stopline and the light is red. Plus a picture of them past the stop line with the light still red. No dispute they ran a red.
I read somewhere that red light cameras are operated by private companies that bid for the government contract. Apparently they charge a fortune for the service - I hear some cities end up paying more than the revenue generated by the tickets.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12365 posts
2900 upvotes
RFD
Chrno wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 9:07 am
Take a close look at the up close photos on the paper he's holding; it says he was going 040km/h. Clearly he didn't stop and make a legal right turn, but instead rolled right through which WILL trigger the red light camera.
I'm surprised no one on CityTV picked this tidbit up while or even before covering this story. Like everyone said, you have to come to a complete stop, scan, and then proceed, however, most I've seen just either roll past or turn at regular speed.
Jul 22, 2008
7 posts
radeonboy wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 3:29 am
I'm surprised no one on CityTV picked this tidbit up while or even before covering this story. Like everyone said, you have to come to a complete stop, scan, and then proceed, however, most I've seen just either roll past or turn at regular speed.
So at 40 km you are not rolling through not sure how they even come up with speeds that are insane to say mine says I was doing 30 km mine says light was red for .4 seconds and the car proceeded through the intersection when the light was red for 2.1 seconds so don't know what his say's but was stopped for 1.7 seconds I think that it assumed you were going straight so you are running the light and person looking at it assumes you didn't come to a complete stop but since a complete stop and go takes no time at all how do they say how long you need to stop for
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11499 posts
4838 upvotes
Toronto
guilty as charged, photo proves it.

Well done City TV

:facepalm:
Jul 22, 2008
7 posts
Swerny wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 8:51 am
guilty as charged, photo proves it.

Well done City TV

how does photo prove it? I have same one at same place
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9744 posts
6135 upvotes
Edmonton
toronto_kennedy wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 10:15 am
how does photo prove it? I have same one at same place
Scan the ticket, remove the identifying parts, and post for discussion.

C
Aug 13, 2006
728 posts
478 upvotes
Ottawa
toronto_kennedy wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 5:49 am
So at 40 km you are not rolling through not sure how they even come up with speeds that are insane to say mine says I was doing 30 km mine says light was red for .4 seconds and the car proceeded through the intersection when the light was red for 2.1 seconds so don't know what his say's but was stopped for 1.7 seconds I think that it assumed you were going straight so you are running the light and person looking at it assumes you didn't come to a complete stop but since a complete stop and go takes no time at all how do they say how long you need to stop for
Let me just speculate as I am not really sure what 0.4 secs and 2.1 secs measurements mean. Let's assume you made a complete stop and within 1.7 seconds you reached speed of 30 km/h. That means your acceleration was 4.90 m per sq. secs. or 5.6 secs to get you to 100 km/h which essentially puts you on par with Ford Mustang on a racing track.
Nov 18, 2015
892 posts
709 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Honestly, I've seen wayyyy too many drivers just make a right turn on a red light immediately if they don't see any cars/pedestrian... I almost feel like most people don't treat the red light as a stop sign before you can make the right turn...