Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Newsgroup Direct Terabyte Tuesday 1TB Usenet $40

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2016 7:20 pm
Tags:
None
25 replies
May 27, 2011
575 posts
586 upvotes
newsgroups turned to ***** ever since people sending those DMCA notices got their ***** together.
Mar 27, 2010
371 posts
73 upvotes
Canada
I've been paying $5/month for an unlimited account at Thunder News from a Black Friday deal a long while back. I'm not sure I use it enough to justify unlimited usage. Wish there was a way to see how much I've downloaded over the lifetime of my account. Is this deal good enough to consider cancelling?
Jul 19, 2015
798 posts
1014 upvotes
London, ON
SuperStarDynex wrote: newsgroups turned to ***** ever since people sending those DMCA notices got their ***** together.
lol weird I have no dmca issues ever with my usenet newsgroups.
Apr 6, 2009
263 posts
20 upvotes
Stn wrote: I've been paying $5/month for an unlimited account at Thunder News from a Black Friday deal a long while back. I'm not sure I use it enough to justify unlimited usage. Wish there was a way to see how much I've downloaded over the lifetime of my account. Is this deal good enough to consider cancelling?
If you used SabNZBD+ since the beginning of your subscription there is a rough download counter under the Config->Servers tab.

Debating about getting a Frugal monthly with this NGD block. Can anyone chime in on the effectiveness of a Frugal+NGD setup?
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2536 posts
1726 upvotes
Kitchener
SuperStarDynex wrote: newsgroups turned to ***** ever since people sending those DMCA notices got their ***** together.
Kind of true, but I have not had an issue in a long time - Setup automation and have a backup block account from the EU :)

Note - many providers have EU servers as well that are a little slower to have the DMCA stuff removed ;)
Dec 25, 2008
182 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Yes it was bad for awhile but things are much better now. Nzb sites are smaller now and more under the radar so I don't using run into broken downloads due to DMCA. I suppose it might also depend on what you're looking for but shows/movies that have been posted for awhile I was still able to pick up.
Jul 19, 2015
798 posts
1014 upvotes
London, ON
FelixMaximus wrote: If you used SabNZBD+ since the beginning of your subscription there is a rough download counter under the Config->Servers tab.<br />
<br />
Debating about getting a Frugal monthly with this NGD block. Can anyone chime in on the effectiveness of a Frugal+NGD setup?
<br />
<br />

Both those providers are now highwinds. No need for NGD if your using frugal unless your looking the greater then 600 days retention. Look for a eu block account that's not using highwinds back end. Or try out a block from usenetfarm for example to compliment frugal.
Apr 6, 2009
263 posts
20 upvotes
xFRUGALITYx wrote: Both those providers are now highwinds. No need for NGD if your using frugal unless your looking the greater then 600 days retention. Look for a eu block account that's not using highwinds back end. Or try out a block from usenetfarm for example to compliment frugal.
Ah true, thanks for pointing that out. I use supernews (giganews backend) now and while it's good, I am looking for something a little cheaper.
Jul 19, 2015
798 posts
1014 upvotes
London, ON
shuffle wrote: Yes you do. When an indexer says something should be present, but it isn't - good chance it's DMCA takedown related.
no I don't, everything is automated and is successful. Sorry for your problems though.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10378 upvotes
Had only a couple missing files in the couple years I've been using them. Got in on the $7 per month deal a couple years back. Some months it's not justified but overall I'm happy with what I got...
Jul 19, 2015
798 posts
1014 upvotes
London, ON
SuperStarDynex wrote: Do you mind sharing what providers you use?
I'm using usenetbucket as main, backup blocks are from usenetfarm, tweaknews, and newsoo. The backup blocks are rarely used.
Jul 19, 2015
798 posts
1014 upvotes
London, ON
shuffle wrote: Ha ha. Never an error with an article? Ever? Wow. I'm impressed.
well not ever, but it's extremely rare. Pretty much only grabbing new releases so no issue when running an automated system
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9300 posts
10314 upvotes
I don't understand people who do it anymore, when it's much cheaper to pay for a good private VPN service and use torrenting, and it gives you anonymity for all your browsing history as well. Plus I don't trust Usenet providers not to keep logs of your activities. With a VPN + torrenting none of your download activity is traceable to you. And no incomplete files ever, or fraudsters who post fake archives in order to incite you to subscribe to scam sites. Never again.
Aug 25, 2010
658 posts
227 upvotes
dcpyke wrote: Yes it was bad for awhile but things are much better now. Nzb sites are smaller now and more under the radar so I don't using run into broken downloads due to DMCA. I suppose it might also depend on what you're looking for but shows/movies that have been posted for awhile I was still able to pick up.
What indexer are you using? I've been using oznzb, and it's generally good, but a lot of releases end up DMCA'd. Normally this isn't a problem as I have automated tools that will grab them on release before they get taken down, but it gets tricky to find stuff if I miss it in that first few days. HBO shows and blockbuster films are the most difficult to acquire once they start getting DMCA'd, which is generally only a few days after posting.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2175 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
Poutinesauce wrote: I don't understand people who do it anymore, when it's much cheaper to pay for a good private VPN service and use torrenting, and it gives you anonymity for all your browsing history as well. Plus I don't trust Usenet providers not to keep logs of your activities. With a VPN + torrenting none of your download activity is traceable to you. And no incomplete files ever, or fraudsters who post fake archives in order to incite you to subscribe to scam sites. Never again.

Yah you can use VPN service and torrents, but you're at the mercy of the seeder. Which takes hours or even days to get the file you want.

And not all VPN providers are anonymous. They still log your IP for the ones that do. There maybe scam sites, but for the most part it isnt. The only reason why i do get incomplete articles is because of DMCA takedown. When you have 2 separate servers, those incomplete articles happen less often.

I'd rather get the file i needed in less than 8 mins and be offline, rather than be online for hours on end to get it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)