The Next-Gen Screenshot Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2017 4:55 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5769 posts
1207 upvotes
Yakuza 0 (PS4 Pro).

Last edited by XFactor11 on Jan 25th, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5769 posts
1207 upvotes
Resident Evil 7 (PS4 Pro)

I am not liking this reboot, it feels more like Outlast or FEAR than an RE game.
The tone of the game is a lot different. The change to first person perspective is jarring IMO.

There seems to be very little of the series' Japanese game development influence in RE7.
RE7 also has a lot of swearing which is really uncharacteristic of the style of the series,
like an episode of the Sopranos in the opening hour I've played so far

I recently bought some other games from my pre-orders, so RE7 ranks low on the list of games I want to play first.

I might post some PS VR screenshots over the weekend but I did not enjoy what I played of RE7 so far.

Last edited by XFactor11 on Jan 26th, 2017 1:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5769 posts
1207 upvotes
Kingdom Hearts II.8 Final Chapter Prologue (PS4 Pro)

Dream Drop Distance (HD remaster of the Nintendo 3DS game)

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5769 posts
1207 upvotes
Kingdom Hearts II.8 HD (PS4 Pro)

Birth By Sleep 0.2 (new engine built on PS4)

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5769 posts
1207 upvotes
Bayonetta 2 (Wii U) - alternate Nintendo themed costumes

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5769 posts
1207 upvotes
Tales of Berseria (PS4 Pro).

Berseria is supposed to be the best "Tales of" game since Vesperia.
I am only near the beginning so far but it seems like a big improvement over Zestiria (last year's Tales of game that was considered the franchise's low point).

It has 1-4 players local co-op for battles.

One cutscene was heavily censored and altered outside of Japan because Bandai Namco feared it would push it into an M-Rating:

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5769 posts
1207 upvotes
Tales of Berseria (PS4 Pro).
Probably the best writing in the series, and out of recent JRPGs.

It has the funniest moments in the franchise so far and I'm only a few hours into it.

Berseria is also has the darkest themes in the franchise as well.
Last edited by XFactor11 on Feb 3rd, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2000 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Oddly enough, I'm currently playing through Zestiria as we speak. Just as soon as I wanted an upbeat, optimistic JRPG to lighten up my day and thought of the Tales series, they went all edgy and gritty on me. Berseria firmly on my waiting list now. And would it kill them to start updating the engine?

How good is Berseria, btw? Vesperia was *the* highlight of JRPGs, imo, right next to FF9 and Chrono Trigger, so I keep hoping something will live up to that pedigree.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5769 posts
1207 upvotes
BYan wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 8:57 am
Oddly enough, I'm currently playing through Zestiria as we speak. Just as soon as I wanted an upbeat, optimistic JRPG to lighten up my day and thought of the Tales series, they went all edgy and gritty on me. Berseria firmly on my waiting list now. And would it kill them to start updating the engine?

How good is Berseria, btw? Vesperia was *the* highlight of JRPGs, imo, right next to FF9 and Chrono Trigger, so I keep hoping something will live up to that pedigree.
I think Berseria is right up there with Vesperia, at least so far. It definitely is darker and and the same time funnier as well.
The writing of the dialogue is really good for this series. I have played all of the main "Tales of" games since Vesperia and Berseria is the best
one made since that one.

In Berseria you play as anti-heroes or questionably good people that do "bad" things due to their experiences instead of a normal group of heroes.
It has a strong cast of supporting characters unlike most "Tales of" games. The only tag-along (non-playable) character I do no like is Bienfu .

Easy Allies did a review here that summarizes the pros and cons of Berseria very well.
The game before Berseria, Zestiria is easily one of the most disliked ones in the series but Bandai Namco rotates game directors and character designers
for each "Tales of" game, which is why they can make a JRPG almost yearly.

I recorded the first hour of my playthrough of the game here if you want to get a feel for the story:

Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1663 posts
424 upvotes
Toronto
Berseria looks good, but I know I won't have time/energy to play it with Persona 5 around the corner.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2000 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 9:04 am
I think Berseria is right up there with Vesperia, at least so far. It definitely is darker and and the same time funnier as well.
The writing of the dialogue is really good for this series. I have played all of the main "Tales of" games since Vesperia and Berseria is the best
one made since that one...
Yeah I've heard good things about it too (and bad things about Zestiria), but it's the same reason that it's getting all this praise that I'm reluctant to dive in right now. I'm looking for something heartwarming and preppy, and probably that's why Zestiria is getting a better reading from me than it is elsewhere. I think Berseria can wait until I'm finished with the Witcher 3 first.

Did they change the combat system at all? Graphics look quite a bit better than Zestiria, though I wish they'd go back to the brighter, static camera of Vesperia to hit closer to the anime cutscenes.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.