• Apr 22nd, 2017 4:27 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
2141 posts
957 upvotes
GTA
mexicanbandit wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 12:31 pm
Yes I'm restricted in a lot of things. It is obvious that a majority will always bully a minority. Most people will favour a position of self-interest so if they themselves are not in a situation where they have to have a tree cut down they are all in favour of protection of trees for "common good". When suddenly they can't build a shed or deck they want because they can't cut down a tree on their property, they suddenly have a change in position. It doesn't bother me in the least if other poster agree with me or not.
You're still missing the point. You CAN cut down a tree. You either get a permit, and plant new trees elsewhere as they specify, or don't and pay the fine.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1632 posts
382 upvotes
Paris
mexicanbandit wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 12:53 pm
On the contrary. I relish being in the minority.
I mustard it. Also, AH, now I get it.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Jan 19, 2008
671 posts
157 upvotes
[quote=

Those neighbors needs to respect other cultures. Trees are bad in my cultures, you cannot intrude others culture believing by maximizing your happiness.

I
[/quote]

What culture hates trees?....trees are life....what is to hate about that?
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1632 posts
382 upvotes
Paris
xxxray wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 9:07 pm
[quote=

Those neighbors needs to respect other cultures. Trees are bad in my cultures, you cannot intrude others culture believing by maximizing your happiness.

I
What culture hates trees?....trees are life....what is to hate about that?
[/quote]

Sneedville
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Penalty Box
Mar 29, 2015
1914 posts
135 upvotes
Wood Bridge
I dont care I would have cut down the trees too
Thanks
Mar 19, 2013
437 posts
98 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
I'm trying to understand this news story. Are the trees she cut down owned by her or the city? They look like they were on the edge of her property, so I'm thinking city trees. Where I live the city has 3m easement from sidewalk/curb into my property. They can and do plant trees on the easement. They decide what species. I get that. If the trees were hers, at worst fined for failing to get a permit and the costs to replace the 3 trees. She removes 3 and is now asked to plant 18 @$600 each and a list of acceptable species. I don't understand the logic. Are there rules that you have to follow when planting trees on your property, example back yard? Do they have to be a certain species?

Here we have laws regarding city trees. Owners trees no laws, we are allowed to plant or remove trees, no permit required. No restrictions on species. I love trees, our city is in the Northern forest. Trees much like most things have a certain lifespan. I just removed a maple, planted in the 1940's. Full of rot and dead wood. I had 2 choices, I remove it or Mother Nature will do it for me, then deal with the damage. Will replace it. I live in an older part of the city, plenty of mature trees (1920's), They are now showing their age and problems.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
2141 posts
957 upvotes
GTA
Magoo61 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 10:29 am
I'm trying to understand this news story. Are the trees she cut down owned by her or the city? They look like they were on the edge of her property, so I'm thinking city trees. Where I live the city has 3m easement from sidewalk/curb into my property. They can and do plant trees on the easement. They decide what species. I get that. If the trees were hers, at worst fined for failing to get a permit and the costs to replace the 3 trees. She removes 3 and is now asked to plant 18 @$600 each and a list of acceptable species. I don't understand the logic. Are there rules that you have to follow when planting trees on your property, example back yard? Do they have to be a certain species?

Here we have laws regarding city trees. Owners trees no laws, we are allowed to plant or remove trees, no permit required. No restrictions on species. I love trees, our city is in the Northern forest. Trees much like most things have a certain lifespan. I just removed a maple, planted in the 1940's. Full of rot and dead wood. I had 2 choices, I remove it or Mother Nature will do it for me, then deal with the damage. Will replace it. I live in an older part of the city, plenty of mature trees (1920's), They are now showing their age and problems.
The fine has to be more than just replacing the 3 trees, otherwise everyone would ignore it. If the fine for driving without insurance was simply the cost of insurance, nobody would get it. The fine must be much higher to dissuade offenders.

Yes, there are rules one what tree can be planted when you cut down an existing tree. It has to be from the approved list.

If a tree is dead, the city will let you cut it down with no problems, but you must get an arborist to confirm before doing it.
Sep 29, 2013
89 posts
38 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
Magoo61 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 10:29 am

If there wasn't a specified list of species, most would just plant cedars. Builders probably have a specific list as well of trees that they have to plant on every lot. If you're planting it yourself, you can plant whatever you want.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel