• May 9th, 2017 10:16 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3218 posts
1885 upvotes
GTA
mexicanbandit wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 12:31 pm
Yes I'm restricted in a lot of things. It is obvious that a majority will always bully a minority. Most people will favour a position of self-interest so if they themselves are not in a situation where they have to have a tree cut down they are all in favour of protection of trees for "common good". When suddenly they can't build a shed or deck they want because they can't cut down a tree on their property, they suddenly have a change in position. It doesn't bother me in the least if other poster agree with me or not.
You're still missing the point. You CAN cut down a tree. You either get a permit, and plant new trees elsewhere as they specify, or don't and pay the fine.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2392 posts
591 upvotes
Paris
mexicanbandit wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 12:53 pm
On the contrary. I relish being in the minority.
I mustard it. Also, AH, now I get it.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Jan 19, 2008
714 posts
179 upvotes
[quote=

Those neighbors needs to respect other cultures. Trees are bad in my cultures, you cannot intrude others culture believing by maximizing your happiness.

I
[/quote]

What culture hates trees?....trees are life....what is to hate about that?
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2392 posts
591 upvotes
Paris
xxxray wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 9:07 pm
[quote=

Those neighbors needs to respect other cultures. Trees are bad in my cultures, you cannot intrude others culture believing by maximizing your happiness.

I
[/quote]

Sneedville
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1969 posts
145 upvotes
Wood Bridge
I dont care I would have cut down the trees too
Thanks
Mar 19, 2013
559 posts
154 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
I'm trying to understand this news story. Are the trees she cut down owned by her or the city? They look like they were on the edge of her property, so I'm thinking city trees. Where I live the city has 3m easement from sidewalk/curb into my property. They can and do plant trees on the easement. They decide what species. I get that. If the trees were hers, at worst fined for failing to get a permit and the costs to replace the 3 trees. She removes 3 and is now asked to plant 18 @$600 each and a list of acceptable species. I don't understand the logic. Are there rules that you have to follow when planting trees on your property, example back yard? Do they have to be a certain species?

Here we have laws regarding city trees. Owners trees no laws, we are allowed to plant or remove trees, no permit required. No restrictions on species. I love trees, our city is in the Northern forest. Trees much like most things have a certain lifespan. I just removed a maple, planted in the 1940's. Full of rot and dead wood. I had 2 choices, I remove it or Mother Nature will do it for me, then deal with the damage. Will replace it. I live in an older part of the city, plenty of mature trees (1920's), They are now showing their age and problems.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3218 posts
1885 upvotes
GTA
Magoo61 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 10:29 am
I'm trying to understand this news story. Are the trees she cut down owned by her or the city? They look like they were on the edge of her property, so I'm thinking city trees. Where I live the city has 3m easement from sidewalk/curb into my property. They can and do plant trees on the easement. They decide what species. I get that. If the trees were hers, at worst fined for failing to get a permit and the costs to replace the 3 trees. She removes 3 and is now asked to plant 18 @$600 each and a list of acceptable species. I don't understand the logic. Are there rules that you have to follow when planting trees on your property, example back yard? Do they have to be a certain species?

Here we have laws regarding city trees. Owners trees no laws, we are allowed to plant or remove trees, no permit required. No restrictions on species. I love trees, our city is in the Northern forest. Trees much like most things have a certain lifespan. I just removed a maple, planted in the 1940's. Full of rot and dead wood. I had 2 choices, I remove it or Mother Nature will do it for me, then deal with the damage. Will replace it. I live in an older part of the city, plenty of mature trees (1920's), They are now showing their age and problems.
The fine has to be more than just replacing the 3 trees, otherwise everyone would ignore it. If the fine for driving without insurance was simply the cost of insurance, nobody would get it. The fine must be much higher to dissuade offenders.

Yes, there are rules one what tree can be planted when you cut down an existing tree. It has to be from the approved list.

If a tree is dead, the city will let you cut it down with no problems, but you must get an arborist to confirm before doing it.
Sep 29, 2013
113 posts
55 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
Magoo61 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 10:29 am

If there wasn't a specified list of species, most would just plant cedars. Builders probably have a specific list as well of trees that they have to plant on every lot. If you're planting it yourself, you can plant whatever you want.
Nov 1, 2003
590 posts
71 upvotes
Are you allowed to remove trees you planted yourself that are not flourishing? I planted 3 young fruit trees in my backyard 3 years ago and they have yet to bear fruit. They are still small enough I can just dig them out by hand. Do I need a permit at this point?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7120 posts
896 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
GPS wrote:
May 7th, 2017 4:12 pm
Are you allowed to remove trees you planted yourself that are not flourishing? I planted 3 young fruit trees in my backyard 3 years ago and they have yet to bear fruit. They are still small enough I can just dig them out by hand. Do I need a permit at this point?
You'd have to check the by laws for where ever you live. But I think you should be fine as most cities that have these by laws are usually protecting mature trees (a certain diameter of trunk). So I would expect you would be ok without permits.
Aug 18, 2014
224 posts
95 upvotes
Markham, ON
hopefully i dont' offend anyone..
but certain cultures have (imo), extremely poor taste when it comes to nature and beauty.

Neighborhoods such as as forest hill which has many mature trees looks gorgeous to me.
On the other hand, I know many people just wanted to cut everything down a pave their whole front (and back) lawn with some ugly stone so they can park another 28 cars on their driveways.
It makes everything look cheap and ghetto...

Funny when I was younger I used to hate trees too....(I grew up in a neighborhood covered in large mature trees...parking your car on the street during summer is like getting a tree sap shower.)
But as I grew older I really appreciate their beauty.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7233 posts
365 upvotes
GPS wrote:
May 7th, 2017 4:12 pm
I think if the tree trunk is less than 4" in diameter, you can still move it. The rule could vary in different city though. I also planted a tree near the curb and it was approved by the developer's landscaping company (Note: Developers are responsible for the new subdivision landscaping (tree planting) until the city assumes the area). Now, if I want to move that tree, I don't know who to contact as it was planted by me, approved by developer but now on city's property Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7233 posts
365 upvotes
xxxray wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 9:07 pm
[quote=

I
[/quote]

Chinese do not like a tree directly in front of their front entrance/door as it is considered bad Feng Shui ;) However, in general, I notice in most neighbourhood here, there is a tree planted right there in front of each door, that's properly considered a good thing to do in the western culture Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

By the way, I guess people don't like too many big trees surrounding the house is because they block sunlight going into the house, which is another bad Feng Shui when there are places/corners in the house which always cannot be reached by sunlight ;)

Root damaging the house foundation could be another concern if the big trees are planted too close to the house ;)
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2239 posts
467 upvotes
Newmarket
rdx wrote:
May 9th, 2017 10:26 am
Now, if I want to move that tree, I don't know who to contact as it was planted by me, approved by developer but now on city's property Face With Tears Of Joy
This issue calls for drastic measures, I would say senate emergency meeting at the very least ;-) once debated they should call for a referendum or a meeting between plant owner, property owner and the approving party.
If it was me I would just discuss the issue with individual who planted the tree, but it's not so easy ;-)