Shopping Discussion

next year Vancouver will get its first Walmart Store as Costco is moving out.

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2008 1:24 am
Tags:
None
Jul 14, 2005
666 posts
144 upvotes
honest thief wrote:
May 13th, 2008 1:39 am
Its gonna be competitive. There's already a Rona 3 blocks away, Superstore 2 blocks away and they are building a huge multi store complex another block away. I recall only Canadian Tire and Mark's Work Warehouse and Starbucks on the sign but I'm sure there was more.
I think there's gonna be a Save On or Price Smart foods there too.
Mar 14, 2008
119 posts
KonaHeiHei wrote:
May 10th, 2008 3:44 pm
I'm moving to Vanc next month. Is the Walmart going where Costco at the Chinatown Skytrain stop is? I rather liked the idea of having the Costco where it is, though not having a car can be a PITA when you have a 10 KG bag of frenchfries or a skid worth of soda cans to take back!
No, the Costco in Chinatown is relatively new. It is the old one on Grandview that is moving.

I love the Chinatown location - I don't have a car but it is so easy to get to by skytrain. The Grandview one was a pain to get to without a car.

BTW - Why exactly are you returning french fries ? lol
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5814 posts
243 upvotes
Vancouver
Dang..now I can't make fun of Vancouver not having a Wal-Mart anymore...although it's at the edge..and i mean edge of vancouver crossing the street to burnaby.

CBC news reported while other companies is losing money this year in the US, wal-mart gained 7% because of slow economiv times that wal-mart is attracting customers looking to pinch pennies.

I can't wait for it to come. I hope it's a super wal-mart store, like the one beside the tulalip outlets.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1454 posts
162 upvotes
Pavel wrote:
May 11th, 2008 4:42 am
It's really too bad (for the consumer) the local Marine Drive residents beached and complained about Wal-mart so they werent allowed to set up shop on Marine, yet they still own the land. Maybe they'll be a new Richmond nightmarket there next year? :D
Here's what I don't get about the Main & Marine location. While those anti-Walmart guys are blocking construction of the WalMart, the lot (owned by WalMart) is currently sitting there for the past 5 years with empty buildings filled with druggies, prostitutes and homeless people.

That's better than a Walmart?
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1760 posts
258 upvotes
kitty wrote:
May 13th, 2008 3:59 pm
Here's what I don't get about the Main & Marine location. While those anti-Walmart guys are blocking construction of the WalMart, the lot (owned by WalMart) is currently sitting there for the past 5 years with empty buildings filled with druggies, prostitutes and homeless people.

Maybe the Walmart haters you're talking about are the druggies, prostitutes and homeless living in these empty buildings and they don't want to have to relocate :twisted:

But seriously, people definitely have their priorities all wrong if this is the case in this neighborhood. They're just so brainwashed that Walmart is evil, that they chose to ignore the more serious issues plaguing their area (if they actually come from this area in the first place).
Sep 21, 2003
327 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
dmyvr wrote:
May 13th, 2008 2:18 am
I think there's gonna be a Save On or Price Smart foods there too.
I think its a Price Smart Foods. Boy traffic is gonna suck there but maybe we'll be paying $2 per litre gas so less cars.
Good deals come to those who wait. Wait too long then the deals gone.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4791 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
selpats wrote:
May 10th, 2008 9:17 pm
I'm a snob because I prefer to support people in my neighbourhood? I am a snob because I prefer quality products? I am a snob because because I can afford to shop at other stores? I am a snob because I don't like supporting Walmart and their business practices?

Wake up and educate yourself.
I did, and don't kid yourself they are all Made In China. Like it or not.

Oh, did you just said you want your toy to be Made In Germany, I wish you all the luck.
selpats wrote:
May 10th, 2008 9:29 pm
You are right, people should be able to shop where they want and I totally have nothing wrong with that...
Except for the Central Committe of the Vancouver City Council politburo.
Mark77 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2011 9:37 pm
That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
9162 posts
1177 upvotes
Vancouver
GYR8 wrote:
May 10th, 2008 12:51 am
Thursday, May 22nd is the opening date I believe ;)

GYR8
Is that still the case? I read somewhere it's going to be July 1.
General Radek had some good ideas.
Mar 30, 2007
99 posts
6 upvotes
I personally don't like Walmart. There's nothing special about the place. I like to buy groceries at the supermarket, tools at Princess Auto, clothes at the mall.

Walmart feels like one notch above a dollar store.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6566 posts
165 upvotes
Vancouver
kitty wrote:
May 13th, 2008 3:59 pm

They don't see them...out of sight, out of mind.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
11662 posts
14837 upvotes
To those that don't like Walmart, don't go there. People who want to go should have the opportunity to do so. It is called the freedom to choose. Vancouver is the only major city in Canada who does have a Walmart.

The left wing social activists who oppose Walmart are quite out of line.
The arguments they use are not supportable.

1. They drive out local small business. Possibly in small towns. But the protest against the Marine Drive location using this argument can not justified. There are no small businesses along Marine drive and the only place people can shop is Oakridge Mall. They cite small businesses along Fraser and Main Street but those are mainly ethnic stores that will be unaffected by Walmart. As well, small business can cater to a niche market not offered by Walmart.

2.Low wages and no benefits. But most retail pay low wages and are not unionized. And many small business are mom and pop operations where they do everything and do not hire anyone. If they do hire anyone, the small stores pay minimun wage with no benefits.

3.Walmart is a symbol of globalization. Jobs are shipped overseas to lower paid workers. True, and why are jobs shipped overseas? Because of high wage demand by North American Workers. Often driven by the Union movement. If everything is made in North America, how can anyone afford the goods? LCD Tvs will remain at $10,000. Computers sell for $5000. Even a calculator will cost $50, like they did when they first came out.
The Auto Industry is losing money because their wages are $20/hr more than overseas manufacturers.

4.Everything is Made in China where workers are abused. But everything is made in China because of the reason cited in point 3.

5. Opponents just don't like Big Box Stores. Yes, but even supermarkets like Safeway, Save-On-Foods, RCSS are big stores. You mean Walmart opponents never shop at these stores? Where do they buy their food from? Grow their own?

Bottom line is: Don't shop there if you don't want to. Let others have the freedom of choice.
Have a nice day!

[OP]
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
151 upvotes
in a popular list of jokes for a certain ethnic group there's a joke about how "your mom drives her mercedes to the costco"
Air Canada Aeroplan Super Elite Reservations: 1-800-401-7201 or 514-369-7598
get unlimited calls or other discounts by calling directly to:
Fido Retentions: call 611 then push 7, then push 3 - or Rogers Retentions 1-514-734-7873 or 1-866-228-7109
Telus Mobility: 1-877-279-3100 or 416-279-3100 or 1 416 296 7669 client.loyalty@telus.com
Bell Mobility: 1-866-313-1086
nice chairs http://www.eternitymodern.ca
great value - lol http://www.walmart.ca
Jul 14, 2005
666 posts
144 upvotes
My problem with people saying that they (or anyone employer) are low paying / wages is if you don't like working for their pay, why are you working there? It's not like you are forced at gun point to work there, go and work somewhere else that pays more.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
I love how the social activists are upset with Walmarts wages and then use the argument that the small business will not be able to compete with them when small business either hire no workers or if they do then they pay them minimum wage anyway. Walmart will produce more jobs in their one store than all the small business in the surrounding area combined.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1799 posts
66 upvotes
Vancouver
Isnt this how it works in small towns:

Walmart appears. Low prices attracts customers that would normally shop in small stores. Small stores die. Jobs lost, etc and half of the town eventually works in walmart. Walmart owns the town. Since walmart employees are not unionized, they get wage cuts.

I dont see how this can happen in large cities. To those people who live in large cities with walmarts, how did it affect your city?
spot finder