• Oct 3rd, 2014 6:52 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2013
1100 posts
194 upvotes
Mississauga

Nexus

Way to go backwards CBSA. Make it more difficult to use the machines now. All members getting emails today - new machines will require you to actually put your card in the machine now.
11 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33103 posts
7263 upvotes
Ottawa
Whoa....screw that! They can have my card back and I will go stand in line!!

Really?????

and I didn't hit thanks as you begged us to do.
Being in the Military is a choice, being a Veteran is an earned honor. Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
9058 posts
1112 upvotes
Vancouver
You realize this is only at airports right?
General Radek had some good ideas.
Mar 28, 2010
626 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
So, you mean now it's similar to the much more reliable GE machines where you put your passport/card into before fingerprints?

Do you have a copy of the email? I haven't seen anything yet...
Oct 8, 2008
719 posts
68 upvotes
Here is the email:

[QUOTE]

New NEXUS Kiosks!

Dear NEXUS Member,

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is beginning to replace kiosks with new "next generation" kiosks to provide faster, more reliable and more efficient service in the air mode.

The installation of the new kiosks begins with Macdonald-Cartier International Airport in Ottawa and will be phasing in to the rest of the Canadian airports that offer NEXUS by late October/early November.

The way you interact with the new kiosk has changed. Namely, you will now be required to insert your NEXUS membership card into the kiosk card reader.

For your reference, please refer to the following instructions when using the new kiosk:

Please have your NEXUS card ready;
Select language of choice before inserting your NEXUS card into the document reader;
When prompted, insert your NEXUS card into the document reader;
Ensure the card is face up (picture side) and fully inserted into the reader;
Leave the card in the reader until instructed to remove it;
You will receive audio instructions advising you to look into the mirror;
You will use the arrows located on the mirrors to adjust to ensure that you see both eyes;
Look into the mirror, moving slightly forward or backward until you see the circle centered between your eyes change from orange to green; and
Follow the instructions on the screen and answer the questions on the monitor.

We encourage you to visit the NEXUS website http://www.nexus.gc.ca for future updates.

We thank you for your continued participation in the NEXUS program and encourage you to share your experience using the new kiosks so that we are better positioned to facilitate your travel.

Please feel free to contact us by replying directly to this e-mail.[/QUOTE]

I don't see what the big deal is. The current generation of kiosks are so unreliable (and are still running Windows XP!) You have to put your NEXUS card or passport in the GE machines when going to the US. The reason they are likely doing this is to ensure compliance with the rule that you must have your NEXUS card with you when travelling.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2013
1100 posts
194 upvotes
Mississauga
D582 wrote:
Oct 1st, 2014 1:17 pm
I don't see what the big deal is. The current generation of kiosks are so unreliable (and are still running Windows XP!) You have to put your NEXUS card or passport in the GE machines when going to the US. The reason they are likely doing this is to ensure compliance with the rule that you must have your NEXUS card with you when travelling.

I have never once had to use my Nexus card in the GE machines in 3 years of having one. Besides for someone like me who uses it 3x a week, it's a hassle to now have to carry the card in my wallet and have it ready to put in the machine, as opposed to just the Iris scan (which you'll now have to do in addition).. just more space taken up in the wallet, is all I guess.
Oct 8, 2008
719 posts
68 upvotes
apoorv wrote:
Oct 1st, 2014 1:49 pm
I have never once had to use my Nexus card in the GE machines in 3 years of having one. Besides for someone like me who uses it 3x a week, it's a hassle to now have to carry the card in my wallet and have it ready to put in the machine, as opposed to just the Iris scan (which you'll now have to do in addition).. just more space taken up in the wallet, is all I guess.
The GE machines you can use either use your NEXUS card or your passport, but you have to scan one of them. And you have to carry your NEXUS card with you in order to use NEXUS. As well you would need your NEXUS card to use the NEXUS security line. So again, don't see what the hassle is.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3575 posts
481 upvotes
I have a Nexus phone and it is very easy to use. All phones, nexus or not, requires a Sim card.

lol :)
Banned
Sep 3, 2014
52 posts
13 upvotes
GTA
Talk about a bruhaha.....I rx'd the same email, and how is it different from when you cross the border like I did this past weekend?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4959 posts
798 upvotes
Montreal
heymikey wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2014 3:41 pm
I have a Nexus phone and it is very easy to use. All phones, nexus or not, requires a Sim card.

lol :)
I have a Nexus 7 and its shortcoming is that there is no slot for an sd card. LOL.

Actually, aren't you supposed to carry your Nexus card at all times when crossing the border anyway? The only downside would be possibly forgetting your card in the machine the same way people forget their belongings at security.
Phils