Tags:
None
Dec 3, 2009
149 posts
50 upvotes
Hamilton
tweebs2 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2013 8:26 pm
Well that was a waste of a couple hours. Tried at BestBuy and Futureshop. You can't get this phone with the 'Flex Data Plan for Tablets' I have the old $20 month + $15 that tops out at 5GB. The Telus system will get to the end of the process and throw a random error code when they select 'Keep existing plan'. I even tried changing the plan to the new 'Flex Data Plan for Tablets' at $5 with bump up and also tried activating with a new account. I think they are on to us. Very very big YMMV. Strange that they list this as a possible upgrade on my Telus account page.

Also, I think you have to keep the account for the full 24 months. If you try to cancel, they would charge you the prorated cost of the phone @~$400 not the $5/month per remaining months. Of course Telus could also change the price of these plans at any point.
Perhaps they have changed the system. It was listed as an upgrade (as are all smartphones/devices) on my flex accounts as well. Since I upgraded the device the offers are all full price now. But I did print the pages JUST in case Telus tries to be sneaky in the future.

One thing I did note Future Shop had to process the upgrade via the Telus system and not the standard inhouse one. I was originally alerted to the deal while at Walmart. Walmart uses the Telus upgrade system. I'd have purchased it there except they didn't have any Telus Nexus 4 phones I even called a few Walmart locations. So I went across the street to Future Shop hoping they would see the same thing Walmart did on the system. They did on the Telus system, hence got the phone. Bestbuy however I believe just used the in house system though I can't be 100%. Maybe just lucky timing on my part.

As for Telus changing the account, the terms spell out that Telus CAN change your monthly rate, HOWEVER they have to give you 30 days notice. And if the change results in you having to pay additional you exit the contract without termination fee.

http://mobility.telus.com/en/ON/service ... rviceterms
Can TELUS change the terms of service in my agreement?
Yes, TELUS has the right to change any of the terms that are outlined in your Agreement, except those covered by the Price Guarantee.

Before we make any changes, we will give you at least thirty days’ written notice, by bill message, text message or email. The notice will include a copy of the new service term or of the new and former versions of a modified service term, the date that the change will occur and a description of your rights to cancel service (if applicable and as required by law).

What if I do not agree with the changes that TELUS makes to my Agreement?
If you do not agree with changes to your Agreement, you may cancel your service by providing a notice to TELUS within thirty days of the effective date of the change. If the change we make increases your obligation or reduces ours, cancellation fees will not apply. If you do not agree with changes related to an optional feature, you may cancel the feature without penalty.

In both cases, if you continue to use the service after the thirty days, the new service term will become effective.

You are correct on the early termination of the contract - it seems that they will charge 50+device balance. So it would be better just to leave that sim active on the flex plan. And use another sim/plan for the phone.

Good luck to all hope at least a few people managed to get the deal. I'm sure the insiders at FS/Bestbuy signed up a few.
Jan 14, 2004
246 posts
78 upvotes
Has anyone that ordered the Nexus 4 (for $300 without any plan) from the Koodo website receive the phone or at the very list an email with tracking number? I ordered on the weekend and haven't even got a single email from them yet.
Mar 24, 2005
297 posts
15 upvotes
Ottawa
Curtis_E_Bare wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2013 6:41 pm
Has anyone that ordered the Nexus 4 (for $300 without any plan) from the Koodo website receive the phone or at the very list an email with tracking number? I ordered on the weekend and haven't even got a single email from them yet.
I ordered too and didn't get any sort of tracking or order confirmation email so I called them this morning. I was told all purchases over the weekend were refunded and that I wouldn't be getting an email stating this. I was also told if I wanted the phone I'd have to reorder.

I insisted on a transaction ID number for the "refunded" transaction just in case I end up with two for one reason or another.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2007
1353 posts
227 upvotes
rageking wrote:
Jul 21st, 2013 11:20 am
Dont worry the S3 is better overall. But u pay more unless you found a great deal on the S3. If given both choices at the same price everyone here would pick the S3 for the same price.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic...
Apr 9, 2008
370 posts
88 upvotes
Bby
When I picked up this phone from a koodo kiosk I was not allowed to buy it without putting at least $50 on my tab.
Jun 10, 2010
51 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
liquidnails wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2013 2:34 am
When I picked up this phone from a koodo kiosk I was not allowed to buy it without putting at least $50 on my tab.
They said the same thing to me.
Apr 9, 2008
370 posts
88 upvotes
Bby
I still got it.

I have to say I'm pretty unimpressed with the battery life and reception. For the price is a decent phone, but i'd probably trade it for an xperia L.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
1392 posts
277 upvotes
Wait two weeks for the Moto X...similar spec, better build quality, better radios
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2290 posts
818 upvotes
Calgaryish
liquidnails wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2013 2:34 am
... And if you're going to let them pull a credit check, you should have waited a few weeks for the back to school deals to get $50 or $100 in gift cards. I don't understand why people are rushing to pay Koodo's regular retail price.
Nov 3, 2009
471 posts
111 upvotes
Calgary
Psyclist wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2013 10:20 am
Wait two weeks for the Moto X...similar spec, better build quality, better radios
That's correct, but moto is famous for locking the bootloader and lack of upgrades.
retrothing wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2013 10:42 am
... And if you're going to let them pull a credit check, you should have waited a few weeks for the back to school deals to get $50 or $100 in gift cards. I don't understand why people are rushing to pay Koodo's regular retail price.
I don't understand either. The same phone you can get it for 150-175 just couple weeks ago. $300 seems an OK price. Nexus 5 is also on its way. Some one will push the clearance button pretty soon on this phone. No need to rush here. Wait until the labor day unless you need a phone so bad right now.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
3770 posts
87 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Psyclist wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2013 10:20 am
Lower spec. The screen is lower res, the CPU is half the cores. It does have sapphire crystal glass and a couple more MP camera but other than that, its hardly special. If you're going to wait for anything, it should be for the nexus 5.
Heatware: 30-0-0
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
661 upvotes
Toronto
ShaTR wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2013 1:39 pm
Lower spec. The screen is lower res, the CPU is half the cores. It does have sapphire crystal glass and a couple more MP camera but other than that, its hardly special. If you're going to wait for anything, it should be for the nexus 5.
Lower res? I thought it was the same resolution, just a smaller screen. And Quads vs duals hardly matter on Android phones. I was just disappointed when they didn't include a Snapdragon 600 or even 800.
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
Mar 9, 2011
221 posts
103 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Curtis_E_Bare wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2013 6:41 pm
I ordered it yesterday, haven't gotten any confirmation yet.
Jan 14, 2004
246 posts
78 upvotes
I got my order confirmation this morning followed by the email with the tracking number. The funny part being the email with the tracking number came after Canada Post "attempted" to deliver it. And by attempted to deliver it I mean they just left the door knocker in the mailbox at the end of the block without ever coming to the house.
Dec 3, 2008
41 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
I ordered on Monday night and got it this morning!
× < >