Entertainment

Nexus 4 or iPhone 5

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2012 9:02 am
Mar 9, 2011
10 posts
Waterloo

Nexus 4 or iPhone 5

As some of you may know, Google's Nexus 4 is up for orders on November 13. I've been with Fido the last 3 years with the iPhone 3GS. I was paying $65+tax for the 3 years (hated it) that included 100 mins local, unlimited texts, caller ID and all that jazz and 6GB of data. Now, I've gone into retentions for a monthly rate of $45+tax that includes all the same stuff, except 2GB of data. I really loathe contracts, so I've been considering buying the Nexus 4 outright unlocked for $400 or so (everything included) and staying with my current monthly plan.

My dilemma is this; I have around $130 "Fido Dollars" that I can put towards an iPhone 5 if I want to do that. The price for the $279 32GB version then becomes around $150 + tax. That would have to be a three year contract. The pricing will be similar to what I was paying for my previous 3 year contract ($65 or so + tax). I'm not sure how much retention magic I'll be able to do for that, but that's beside the point. As I said, I hate these contracts the big 3 make us sign. I've done the math - no matter which route I take, my net pay amount will be the same during the first year. I save money after that during the next 2 years based on the cheaper monthly contract if I buy the Nexus 4.

My question to all of you is this - is there any reason for me to go with the iPhone 5? Any sort of retention magic I can do with Fido? I know the technologies well (developed for both iOS and Android) and some change for my daily phone would be a nice refresh. I'm pretty set on the Nexus 4 I think, I just think some other opinions wouldn't hurt.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2011
1127 posts
53 upvotes
How is this an Entertainment thread?

Wrong forum...
Mar 9, 2011
10 posts
Waterloo
My bad. Can someone remove this thread please? I'm reposting in computer and electronics.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
Get a mod to move this to the Cell Phones thread and have them delete the repost in the Computers and Electronics section.

Just click report post and tell them what you want to do.
Blanka
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
I prefer Android over iOS; so I'd say Nexus 4.

You can always negotiate with Retentions at Fido; but you'll be signing another 3yr term if you want any leverage. The cheapest you could get is probably around $45/mo; but likely $50+.

I'd say grab the Nexus 4, $309 unlocked and jump to Mobi/Wind.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21784 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Buy iphone with Fido dollars -> sell BNIB iphone to someone for $700ish -> buy Nexus 4 and pocket the rest
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote: Buy iphone with Fido dollars -> sell BNIB iphone to someone for $700ish -> buy Nexus 4 and pocket the rest
Not a bad idea. BNIB iPhone5 to a sucker; pay off contract.
Mar 9, 2011
10 posts
Waterloo
KevC wrote: Not a bad idea. BNIB iPhone5 to a sucker; pay off contract.
You can't buy phones outright with Fido dollars. Have to go towards a contract.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2007
10206 posts
1465 upvotes
Mississauga
Windows Phone
RFD 43-0-0
Ebay 39-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
enem wrote: You can't buy phones outright with Fido dollars. Have to go towards a contract.
Right, you'd have to sell the iPhone and pay the ECF/DECF (max of $600) to get out of the contract. Worth it? Do the calculations.