Cell Phones

Nexus 4 on the way, but I have a Galaxy S3. Wind or Rogers.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2012 12:51 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2482 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto

Nexus 4 on the way, but I have a Galaxy S3. Wind or Rogers.

I recently bought a N4 and it should be coming in the mail soon, hopefully within the month.

But I have a Galaxy S3 which I think is perfect, nothing wrong with it. But I'm currently paying $35 for 200 mins, unlimited browsing and text, which is great. But the data does take a toll on the battery life because of mandatory proxy apps.

I'm thinking of changing to Wind Mobile with the Nexus 4, or just buying a Wind-compatible Galaxy S3, almost trade value, and selling the N4 + S3.

Wind would be $40 a month for unlimited everything, that's it. I'm not on a plan currently, as I prefer prepaid. Wind would also be prepaid. Reception I heard is pretty decent, with decent 3G speeds.

What do you guys think? Sell S3 for Wind S3, Sell S3 and keep N4, Sell N4 and just keep S3?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2516 posts
91 upvotes
I guess you should decide which phone you want first. Why would you go back to a S3 after owning a N4? Perhaps receiving it will sway your opinion one way or the other. I'm perfectly happy on wind. Maybe try it out for a month before you port your existing line.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2482 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
mariokarter wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 1:23 pm
I guess you should decide which phone you want first. Why would you go back to a S3 after owning a N4? Perhaps receiving it will sway your opinion one way or the other. I'm perfectly happy on wind. Maybe try it out for a month before you port your existing line.
Because I just recently bought a case for it, and I love the case :D Also, S3 has microSD slot and I just bought a 64GB for it (only for $35 though).

True, I could try Wind on Nexus. But once opened it loses a lot of its value...

Are speeds good on Wind?
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1286 posts
90 upvotes
Although Wind has prepaid plans, the Wind $40/month is not one of them. It is a postpaid plan, and it is possible to accumulate additional charges for stuff like international long distance or roaming.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4684 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto
kitty wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 1:47 pm
Although Wind has prepaid plans, the Wind $40/month is not one of them. It is a postpaid plan, and it is possible to accumulate additional charges for stuff like international long distance or roaming.
You can sign up for any plan on Pay Before (prepaid).
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2516 posts
91 upvotes
Sepharite wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 1:30 pm
Because I just recently bought a case for it, and I love the case :D Also, S3 has microSD slot and I just bought a 64GB for it (only for $35 though).

True, I could try Wind on Nexus. But once opened it loses a lot of its value...

Are speeds good on Wind?
Do you really need that much storage though? I know it would be nice to have, but since your using a smartphone you can easily use streaming radio and stuff. For example, I don't think I know anybody who would transfer videos onto their phone, they would just watch them on youtube or wherever they are on the internet.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
3443 posts
148 upvotes
Pickering, ON
First, take phones out of the equation and decide whether you want to go with Wind or stay with Rogers.

The two phones are available for both carriers, so you can decide that after (sounds like you still like the flexibility of the S3).
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1286 posts
90 upvotes
icemasta wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 2:41 pm
You can sign up for any plan on Pay Before (prepaid).
Didn't know that. Thanks for educating me. Wind is so confusing in the sense the their "Pay Your Way" plan is clearly labelled as their "Prepaid Mobile Service". So what happens if you roam or make an international LD call on "Pay Before" and your account is $0? Does the call not go through, do you get a message or does your account go into negative?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4684 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto
kitty wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 5:10 pm
Didn't know that. Thanks for educating me. Wind is so confusing in the sense the their "Pay Your Way" plan is clearly labelled as their "Prepaid Mobile Service". So what happens if you roam or make an international LD call on "Pay Before" and your account is $0? Does the call not go through, do you get a message or does your account go into negative?
Yup, just like any prepaid plan. If you don't have a positive balance, you can't use PPU services. Being on Wind prepaid, if you try and call on $0 balance a message will tell you top up. Considering it's very straightforward to top on your phone (*123# in the dialer), I prefer the guarantee I can never be changed anymore than what I top up and the potential to have to call and reverse charges.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2482 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
mariokarter wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 2:45 pm
Do you really need that much storage though? I know it would be nice to have, but since your using a smartphone you can easily use streaming radio and stuff. For example, I don't think I know anybody who would transfer videos onto their phone, they would just watch them on youtube or wherever they are on the internet.
I take a lot of photos, and I like having my music collection on the go.

If I could find a Galaxy S3 T999 for $400, I'd totally snag it.
Oct 24, 2001
699 posts
21 upvotes
Edmonton
do you want LTE or not?
RFDers unite! Don't buy overpriced cars from greedy Canadian dealers. You can save tens of thousands of dollars by buying your cars in US!
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10008 posts
343 upvotes
Vancouver
Always consider the carrier first, phone second. It's easy to swap out a phone - much more difficult and potentially expensive to change carriers.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1286 posts
90 upvotes
icemasta wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 5:50 pm
Yup, just like any prepaid plan. If you don't have a positive balance, you can't use PPU services. Being on Wind prepaid, if you try and call on $0 balance a message will tell you top up. Considering it's very straightforward to top on your phone (*123# in the dialer), I prefer the guarantee I can never be changed anymore than what I top up and the potential to have to call and reverse charges.
Thanks icemasta. Additional question: Can you go on WindTab with prepaid?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2008
1371 posts
170 upvotes
Sepharite wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 6:38 pm
I take a lot of photos, and I like having my music collection on the go.

If I could find a Galaxy S3 T999 for $400, I'd totally snag it.
Not to mention that this is Android; people often use custom ROMs and create/store backups on the device itself.

EDIT: OP, keep the S3. Samsung just released the "Premium content" pack for the S3 in Poland which includes some pretty nifty features that the present Note II has eg. Multi-view, Smart-rotate etc. As far as variants go, you'd think that using it on WIND would use just as much battery since the phone is more likely to search for signals than competing Robellus devices. In any case, you could always flash a custom ROM and improve battery that way —the T999 probably has less support than the international or the LTE variant.

My two cents.
× < >