Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1945 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough

Nexus 5x Bootloop issue---UPDATES

Bought the phone off of a RFD member for my 17 year old nephew back in February and now its stuck in bootloop. Googled and this seems to be a common problem with this phone, Called Google and they told me my warranty is up and transferred me to LG who might be able to help me out.

What to do at this point?
Last edited by ninety5teg on May 29th, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
81 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2133 posts
230 upvotes
ninety5teg wrote:
May 29th, 2017 4:01 pm
Bought the phone off of a RFD member for my 17 year old nephew back in February and now its stuck in bootloop. Googled and this seems to be a common problem with this phone, Called Google and they told me my warranty is up and transferred me to LG who might be able to help me out.

What to do at this point?
I had three of these phones die on me. Nothing you can do, just buy a new phone. The air dryer method works, but the phone will work for another 1-2hour and then die again. LG will not help you either.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1945 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
EEE2 wrote:
May 29th, 2017 4:31 pm
I had three of these phones die on me. Nothing you can do, just buy a new phone. The air dryer method works, but the phone will work for another 1-2hour and then die again. LG will not help you either.
Confused Face sucks
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3936 posts
522 upvotes
Aurora
I came apon this on http://hackaday.com/2017/03/21/fix-a-br ... -bootloop/ .
The LG G4, V10, and the Nexus 5X are all affected by the bonded flipchip substrate breaking off of the BGA package under the CPU, which usually manifests in bootlooping or screen corruption, and eventually a complete brick. It’s not solder related; the only way to fix it is by completely replacing the CPU package with one that isn’t defective.
On phones like the earlier Nexus 5, it was often a fixable failed power switch causing the bootloop but the 5x problem appears to be a largely unfixable motherboard issue. The article says heating and/or freezing may temporarily allow booting long enough to recover data.
Feb 24, 2010
6 posts
Ontario
I had this happen to me on Thursday with my 5 and after a factory reset it's restarted on its own once since then. Gives me some breathing room until i get a new phone.

Give it a try and see if it helps.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1945 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
DireRaven wrote:
May 29th, 2017 5:52 pm
I had this happen to me on Thursday with my 5 and after a factory reset it's restarted on its own once since then. Gives me some breathing room until i get a new phone.

Give it a try and see if it helps.
Have tried everything..no luck...used the Nexus app from XDA but no help...
May 8, 2009
1696 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
What about re-flashing stock firmware via abd when in bootloader? Then unlock bootloader so that you can install a custom ROM. That'll likely spare you...
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Nov 4, 2015
30 posts
9 upvotes
Halifax
EEE2 wrote:
May 29th, 2017 4:31 pm
I had LG repair one that was 5 months out of warranty. Might be worth trying.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1945 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
CoreyH877773 wrote:
May 29th, 2017 9:00 pm
I had LG repair one that was 5 months out of warranty. Might be worth trying.
The seller on here purchased it from the States and it was a refurbished unit...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1945 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
LG emailed me back today and this is what they had to say:

Dear (X),

Thank you for contacting LG regarding your LGH790.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Normally the cost of repairs would be between $350.00 and $400.00 however we have recently began a new service for cell phones.

The cost of the repair will be $149.95 plus applicable taxes.

To take advantage of this offer you must call our customer service line at 1-888-542-2623 between 9AM and 5PM Monday to Friday.

Thank you for choosing LG

Dave H.

LG Customer Service

LG Canada
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1945 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
I live chatted with the LG Canada Rep and the LG US Rep. Both have determined that my phone is still under warranty and will qualify for any repairs as long there is no physical or water damage.

My Nexus 5X is a 32GB (US Model).

US-I can ship it from here but they can only ship it back to a US address.

Canada-They will need to downgrade me to 16 gb as my US model is 32gb

I do have relatives in the US and would rather send it to US and then have my relatives ship it back to me.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9287 posts
438 upvotes
Markham
I just started having this issue today... going to contact Google/LG to see how it goes... I did buy it from the Google store with my credit card with extended warranty, so even if it's not covered by them I might still be ok.
:lol:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1945 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
Hairball wrote:
May 31st, 2017 2:28 pm
I just started having this issue today... going to contact Google/LG to see how it goes... I did buy it from the Google store with my credit card with extended warranty, so even if it's not covered by them I might still be ok.
I take It as the 5X?

I decided I just might ship it back here..I am shipping it to FutureTel...anything I should be aware of?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9287 posts
438 upvotes
Markham
ninety5teg wrote:
May 31st, 2017 4:18 pm
I take It as the 5X?

I decided I just might ship it back here..I am shipping it to FutureTel...anything I should be aware of?
Yes on the 5X, it was out of warranty for a month or so. However, I spoke to Google support on chat, and they said I can order a replacement 5x from them, and I'll just have to send back in my defective one. Will see how this goes.
:lol:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1945 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
Hairball wrote:
May 31st, 2017 7:10 pm
Yes on the 5X, it was out of warranty for a month or so. However, I spoke to Google support on chat, and they said I can order a replacement 5x from them, and I'll just have to send back in my defective one. Will see how this goes.
Maybe I should contact google support chat instead of going through LG. Just finished up chatting with Google and they cant help me...only the manufacturer can..