Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3966 posts
1313 upvotes
BC
ninety5teg wrote:
May 31st, 2017 8:10 pm
Maybe I should contact google support chat instead of going through LG. Just finished up chatting with Google and they cant help me...only the manufacturer can..
Google only provides support if you buy the phone directly from them.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1945 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
dealseaker101 wrote:
Jun 1st, 2017 12:49 am
Google only provides support if you buy the phone directly from them.
Figured that after chatting with Google. I thought I would give it a shot. I will be sending it to FutureTel even though I will be losing 16gb of space. Its less headache then sending it to the States and dealing with figuring out a way to get it back here. Shipping it from the States to me (from my relatives) wouldn't be worth it. It would end up costing me more.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9287 posts
438 upvotes
Markham
ninety5teg wrote:
Jun 1st, 2017 2:18 am
Figured that after chatting with Google. I thought I would give it a shot. I will be sending it to FutureTel even though I will be losing 16gb of space. Its less headache then sending it to the States and dealing with figuring out a way to get it back here. Shipping it from the States to me (from my relatives) wouldn't be worth it. It would end up costing me more.
Ah, that sucks that Google won't help directly, good luck with the repair/replacement! Would you have to pay?

I've just ordered my replacement, waiting for it to arrive.

In other news, although I wasn't able to get to the recovery, I was actually able to get into fastboot, and that was good enough to at least do a factory reset, so hopefully that means my previous data won't be compromised.
:lol:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9287 posts
438 upvotes
Markham
I just got another email from Google, they are offering to refund the phone altogether. I guess I'll just take the offer since the replacement is probably going to have the same issues.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1945 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
Hairball wrote:
Jun 1st, 2017 1:51 pm
Ah, that sucks that Google won't help directly, good luck with the repair/replacement! Would you have to pay?

I've just ordered my replacement, waiting for it to arrive.

In other news, although I wasn't able to get to the recovery, I was actually able to get into fastboot, and that was good enough to at least do a factory reset, so hopefully that means my previous data won't be compromised.
No the warranty is covering everything as long as there is no physical damage or water damage. I was able to get in Fastboot but not in recovery (sometimes I can get into recovery).

Here's the weird part though. I used Nexus Root to downgrade to 7.1.1 and it did it perfectly but was still stuck in boot loop until last night it came back to life..I got a message saying 7.1.2 was available and guess what of course I went for it...knowing that it will screw up the phone...after the upgrade back to the bootloop....the phone will work perfect below 5% battery life...once it drains and you begin charging it the boot loop comes back..

Could that be a different issue altogether?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
2386 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
If you decide to fix your phone, warranty or no warranty, make sure you do not send to FUTURETEL.
May 5, 2016
334 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
peteryorkuca wrote:
Jun 1st, 2017 6:45 pm
If you decide to fix your phone, warranty or no warranty, make sure you do not send to FUTURETEL.
+1. My relatives' G3 and G4s still encountered the bootloop issue even after it was fixed through FutureTel. LG devices are great at first but are absolute garbage.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1945 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
Spectre26 wrote:
Jun 1st, 2017 7:19 pm
+1. My relatives' G3 and G4s still encountered the bootloop issue even after it was fixed through FutureTel. LG devices are great at first but are absolute garbage.
That's where LG is telling me to have it sent to
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
2386 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
ninety5teg wrote:
Jun 1st, 2017 7:40 pm
That's where LG is telling me to have it sent to
Google futuretel before doing anything. Search this forum too. There is another LG service centre near Mississauga but they maybe no better then futuretel.

If you send to FUTURETEL and they find your phone in mint condition to resell, they will make up stories and deny warranty claim and charge you for $25 shipping charge + diagnostic fee.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1945 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
peteryorkuca wrote:
Jun 1st, 2017 7:49 pm
Google futuretel before doing anything. Search this forum too. There is another LG service centre near Mississauga but they maybe no better then futuretel.

If you send to FUTURETEL and they find your phone in mint condition to resell, they will make up stories and deny warranty claim and charge you for $25 shipping charge + diagnostic fee.
Damn..now you got me!
Nov 4, 2015
30 posts
9 upvotes
Halifax
ninety5teg wrote:
Jun 1st, 2017 2:18 am
this is the same thing LG did for me. Thats why I suggested earlier to contact them. I had no issues with Future-tel. LG paid the shipping, i sent the phone away and it came back 2 weeks later. I never heard from anyone while it was gone.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1945 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
CoreyH877773 wrote:
Jun 1st, 2017 10:31 pm
this is the same thing LG did for me. Thats why I suggested earlier to contact them. I had no issues with Future-tel. LG paid the shipping, i sent the phone away and it came back 2 weeks later. I never heard from anyone while it was gone.
I chatted with the LG rep in Canada and there was no other option but FutureTel. The chat rep did tell me to come back and speak with them if any problem should arise.

I shipped it out to them and crossing my fingers hoping nothing gets screwed up.
Nov 4, 2015
30 posts
9 upvotes
Halifax
it sucked loosing the 16gb of space, but better then a phone that doesnt work!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1945 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
CoreyH877773 wrote:
Jun 1st, 2017 10:47 pm
it sucked loosing the 16gb of space, but better then a phone that doesnt work!
Thats what was in my mind...dealing with sending out to the States would of solved the space issue but it wouldn't be worth the hassle...

BTW the phone was my nephews (got a iPhone) passed it onto his dad...I dont think his dad would care about the 16gb difference...all he ever does is talk and text...and play fruit ninja..

Im just helping them out with the process.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9287 posts
438 upvotes
Markham
Just checked my credit card and Google has refunded me the price I paid for the 5X, $389 + taxes. So at the end it was basically a free rental for a year!