Oct 27, 2017
1 posts
can you link to the page? I tried a few times but no luck
thank you
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2003
1850 posts
35 upvotes
This happened to someone else, but it's the exact same runaround I got.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nexus5x/commen ... loop_this/

The only difference is LG Canada said they would have fix it for free, but it's a US model.

I told google if I bought the phone from the Canada Google Play store, why would I be sent a US version? Google said they will deal with LG directly for me and get back to me on this. Google says they are aware LG is giving this run around to Canadian people, and they have a lot of tickets open atm (Google themselves are still waiting for a reply from LG)
Oct 20, 2012
32 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I'm in the same boat. 5X died last week. I bought it March 2016 from Google Play Store Canada, LG Canada refused to even talk to me since I had a "US Phone" (I still have the extended warranty from my credit card, so I would like to get it repaired).

I called Google, expecting them to tell me to talk to LG and they can't do anything about it, but they say they will get back to me. Not sure what they can do, though I'd certainly take some store credit towards a Pixel or something.
Nov 8, 2017
1 posts
eggsbenedict wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 12:00 pm
I'm in the same boat. 5X died last week. I bought it March 2016 from Google Play Store Canada, LG Canada refused to even talk to me since I had a "US Phone" (I still have the extended warranty from my credit card, so I would like to get it repaired).

I called Google, expecting them to tell me to talk to LG and they can't do anything about it, but they say they will get back to me. Not sure what they can do, though I'd certainly take some store credit towards a Pixel or something.
Have you had any luck with dealing with Google for this? I'm in the same situation and Google hasn't been getting back to me on any options for resolution.
Oct 20, 2012
32 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Nope, I've pretty much given up.

After not hearing anything for 48 hours, I called again, this time they put me on hold while they called LG, then transferred me over to the LG person, who said they'd happily warranty the phone. 5 minutes of back and forth regarding phone information, and of course I finally figured out they had connected me with LG USA. The LG rep didn't really understand that Canada was a different country, and I couldn't just "use a US address". (Well, I could actually, and I could get my credit card to cover the repair, but I have no need for a "repaired" 5X, and my credit card paying LG for the repair doesn't really stick it to LG at all).

Was mostly hoping Google would own up to the original screw up of sending me a US phone and offer store credit towards a new phone.

Also pretty disappointed with Google Play support. I remember 2 years ago dealing with a Nexus 5 issue speaking to someone who sounded like he could have been a senior engineer at Google headquarters. This time it's been 3 people who can barely speak English, and don't seem to even understand that Canada is different from the USA.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3127 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
i bought my nexus 5x from an ebay deal a year or so ago, it had an european plug so i know i will not have warranty support when my phone died in july

tried putting it in the freezer during the summer, sometimes it works temporarily, but in the end no go. tried blowing with a hair dryer, also no go

i have since moved on to another phone, but today i have decided to give my N5X a try since i have some time this weekend. for those who are brave enough to take the phone apart, i was able to get the phone working by taking out the motherboard and blow the eMMC portion at point blank with a high-powered hair dryer (i used a professional hair dryer that cost like 300-400 bucks, but maybe a regular hair dryer will do just fine), at first it got working but died after 15 mins but i was able to repeat the process and get the phone to boot again.

this allowed me to recover files in "stages" (copy a folder to my computer before it dies, take out the board and heat it again, put it back in and boot, rinse and repeat) which was my main objective. i was also able to factory reset my phone after i recovered my files so nobody can access my data in case the phone dies for good and i had to throw it away as electronic waste. the entire process took me about 1-2hrs, with most of time wasted at the beginning to figure out how to disassemble the phone

however, it appeared that the phone was able to last for a longer time after every stage of hot air blowing

after a few rounds of hot air blowing (again, at point blank), my phone was able to stay on for over an hour (and counting). i was able to download and apply the oreo system update, followed with another security update, which i consider to be a cpu-intensive task. its still running fine now with updating apps

so for those who are out of luck with their warranties/refunds i suggest you give this a try; you have nothing to lose since its a brick now anyways

no sending for repairs, no xda cpu-underclocking hacks, all stock. gonna use my newly-revived N5X as a backup phone (oreo seems to encrypt my phone by default so i should be fine with my data if my phone dies) and try to play some heavy/intensive games on it. will keep you guys posted as to how the revived phone is doing

UPDATE:
died after 12 hrs while playing a game, but it did stay alive while charging overnight. may do another few rounds of heating to see if it extends the life even more
Jul 30, 2003
855 posts
56 upvotes
Im going through the bootloop support warranty hell right now. My 5x died, I was on the phone with Google who sent me to LG who happily said they would replace my phone... I go to their website for the repair and it has a hard-coded USA address for returns.... meaning they only ship to American addresses. I called Google back and now im waiting for an escalated support call.... any idea what resolution I can expect from this if any