Nexus 5x Bootloop issue---UPDATES

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2018 2:05 pm
Tags:
Jan 1, 2011
120 posts
3 upvotes
Any updates on this?
I bought my Nexus 5x in May 2016 and it bootlooped yesterday - can't even turn it on today. It's a 16GB model but it says US on the box packaging. I'm wondering if I should even bother going through all this for a refund or credit card warranty claim :/
Sep 6, 2009
462 posts
100 upvotes
If you absolutely have no way of going through warranty (LG/google/CC), the xda software fix would be an option. I had 2 Nexus 5x. Both bootlooped after 2 years. Both were bought overseas. I was able to fix both using the xda software fix. I even used one of them for 6 month after the fix. It was all fine.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2423 posts
310 upvotes
dadizhu wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 8:34 pm
If you absolutely have no way of going through warranty (LG/google/CC), the xda software fix would be an option. I had 2 Nexus 5x. Both bootlooped after 2 years. Both were bought overseas. I was able to fix both using the xda software fix. I even used one of them for 6 month after the fix. It was all fine.
Do you have a link to the XDA software fix?
Sep 6, 2009
462 posts
100 upvotes
EEE2 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 9:35 pm
Do you have a link to the XDA software fix?
I used the following video. It now has been updated with 8.1 Oreo.

Jul 27, 2008
141 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
My Nexus 5X 16GB (Carbon Black) has not been rooted and has no physical damage but developed the bootloop issue a few days ago. The phones are supposed to have an extended warranty due to bootloop, but the "authorized" repair center in Canada (ALL TECH-NEEK ELECTRONICS LTD. (ATNE)) will not tell me if my device is eligible for a free repair based on the IMEI info, they are asking me to ship the device to them first and may charge $25 plus tax, evaluation, and shipping if for any reason it's rejected. While LG and Google are bouncing me between each other, the repair centre is telling me to contact SAMSUNG customer service (huh?). I can't believe it. I am really disappointed with their service.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3023 posts
2496 upvotes
Toronto, ON
supercollider028 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 8:20 pm
How did you get Google to do that? I asked for a confirmation email and they refused and sent me to LG for another runaround. Now I'm being setup with an LG escalation team.
Maybe it only works if your 5x is a US phone, but I spoke to Google support by phone, and told them LG Canada is unwilling to help. I told them specifically I was going to claim my CC extended warranty and just needed some form of proof from Google to confirm the phone needs to be replaced due to known defect. They sent me the email within 5 minutes. The letter was approved by my CC and I got all my money back(though I had to ship back the Nexus brick)
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3023 posts
2496 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ca20 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 6:42 pm
Any updates on this?
I bought my Nexus 5x in May 2016 and it bootlooped yesterday - can't even turn it on today. It's a 16GB model but it says US on the box packaging. I'm wondering if I should even bother going through all this for a refund or credit card warranty claim :/
If you have CC coverage, why not? Is $400 too little? I think we need to reconsider your RFD membership.
Sep 10, 2002
296 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver
apple777 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 8:19 pm
This is unacceptable...

https://www.reddit.com/r/nexus5x/

https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... iscussions

Is it illegal to incite class action lawsuits in Canada?
My 5X started bootlooping out of the blue a couple weeks back. Thankfully I still have a Nexus 4 and 5 to fall back on. It's totally unacceptable for the newer unit to crap out first.

Given the fact this is also affecting the Nexus 6P as well as a slew of other LG phones, I have to wonder if this is a reference design issue with the Snapdragon 808 and 810 chipsets.
https://www.xda-developers.com/google-h ... ss-action/
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... oop-issue/

I called LG and they offered to fix my phone for $149. Do they really have a root cause fix, or is it just a motherboard replacement destined to bootloop after the 90-day refurbishment warranty?

I'd be on board with a class-action since we don't seem to be covered by the US arbitration verdict.
The only problem for me is that I bought my phone from Craigslist. It was originally purchased through Telus and I bought it from a local business. Not sure if they would be able to provide me with a receipt since that was nearly two years ago.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17387 posts
2117 upvotes
GTA West
My Nexus 5X went to BootLoop recently.

I figure $150 is cheaper than getting a new phone, so I sent it off to FutureTel. * fingers crossed *

My 5x was purchased directly from Google Store, but LG Canada claimed it was a US model. After some 'checking' they agreed it could be sent off to FutureTel.
I've shipped it off now, so we'll see what happens.

This phone lasted 2.5 years before it died, so hopefully, if I can get another year out of it for $150, it will be a worthwhile expense.

Last but not least, I'm sure glad I have another backup phone available. It would stink to have no phone!
Sep 14, 2017
10 posts
1 upvote
Managed to get a full refund with my credit card company. If any of you still have extended warranty left with your credit card company, I suggest going with that option instead of Google/LG.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17387 posts
2117 upvotes
GTA West
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Mar 25th, 2018 5:48 pm
My Nexus 5X went to BootLoop recently.

I figure $150 is cheaper than getting a new phone, so I sent it off to FutureTel. * fingers crossed *

My 5x was purchased directly from Google Store, but LG Canada claimed it was a US model. After some 'checking' they agreed it could be sent off to FutureTel.
I've shipped it off now, so we'll see what happens.

This phone lasted 2.5 years before it died, so hopefully, if I can get another year out of it for $150, it will be a worthwhile expense.

Last but not least, I'm sure glad I have another backup phone available. It would stink to have no phone!
Fortunately I had no FutureTel problems.
The phone arrived to their site on a Tuesday morning, and I had it back in my hands 2 days later, on a Thursday night. They replaced the motherboard and the phone seems fine.
I should mention that I had previously opened this phone to replace the battery, with a new battery I had bought on eBay. And FutureTel did not complain about this fact.

I figure the bootloop problem is inheret to this chipset, so it's only a matter of time until it happens again. If I get another year out of my Nexus 5x, I'll be happy.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17387 posts
2117 upvotes
GTA West
HardyZ237 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2018 1:51 pm
This solution does not fix the underlying hardware problem, but instead just disables the problematic cores. This results in lower overall performance.
Banned
Aug 29, 2013
35 posts
5 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2018 11:58 pm
This solution does not fix the underlying hardware problem, but instead just disables the problematic cores. This results in lower overall performance.
Would you rather have a lower performing phone or a brick?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17387 posts
2117 upvotes
GTA West
HardyZ237 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 1:00 pm
Would you rather have a lower performing phone or a brick?
My time is worth more the $0/hr, therefore I paid to get the faulty piece of hardware repaired.