• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2017 8:48 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 28, 2007
422 posts
47 upvotes

Nexus 6p issues?

I have a Nexus 6p that I upgraded from Costco in January 2016. For a while now, I've noticed some annoying issues with it. Sometimes it would just restart on it's own for no reason. Is it because it's restarting due to an update? Another issue is, when I use the fingerprint scanner to unlock it, it seems like it's taking a snapshot. But the screen remains dark though, but you would hear the camera click sound and the dark screen flicker like a photo was being taken. and then when you look in Photos, there's no photo there. Anybody else notice these issues? I did buy the Costco extended warranty, so not sure if this is really a major issue or not to use it.
37 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2015
1043 posts
300 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
RCML27 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 3:10 pm
I have a Nexus 6p that I upgraded from Costco in January 2016. For a while now, I've noticed some annoying issues with it. Sometimes it would just restart on it's own for no reason. Is it because it's restarting due to an update? Another issue is, when I use the fingerprint scanner to unlock it, it seems like it's taking a snapshot. But the screen remains dark though, but you would hear the camera click sound and the dark screen flicker like a photo was being taken. and then when you look in Photos, there's no photo there. Anybody else notice these issues? I did buy the Costco extended warranty, so not sure if this is really a major issue or not to use it.
Have two 6Ps and don't have any of the issues you mentioned. Restart could be due to update.. how often does it happen?

Anyways, just do a restore/refresh on it and see. All ohines regardless of iOS or Android needs a refresh/restore once in a while. With a Nexus it's much less of a hassle since everything gets restored including widgets and settings
[OP]
May 28, 2007
422 posts
47 upvotes
Doubleshot wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 8:07 pm
Have two 6Ps and don't have any of the issues you mentioned. Restart could be due to update.. how often does it happen?

Anyways, just do a restore/refresh on it and see. All ohines regardless of iOS or Android needs a refresh/restore once in a while. With a Nexus it's much less of a hassle since everything gets restored including widgets and settings
The restarts probably happen 2-3 times a month, although I've never thought to write it down to keep track.

When I do a restore/refresh, would it reload my contacts, calendar events, and apps back on by itself, or do I have to go and do all that myself?
[OP]
May 28, 2007
422 posts
47 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 3:31 pm
That's normal for Android. I have similar problems with my Pixel XL

It is starting to lag when I open up gmail now.
Thanks for the reply. The Pixel is the newest Google phone and it already has issues like that. I came from a Samsung and like this Nexus 6p better and when it's time to upgrade in January will most likely get another Google phone or the P10. But something better might have come along by then.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23579 posts
2187 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
RCML27 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 10:22 pm
Thanks for the reply. The Pixel is the newest Google phone and it already has issues like that. I came from a Samsung and like this Nexus 6p better and when it's time to upgrade in January will most likely get another Google phone or the P10. But something better might have come along by then.
I don't think it is the hardware per se.

It is just the nature of Android, a quick reboot usually takes care of the issue but it eventually comes back

The Pixel 2 will be available by January, you may want to consider that as your next phone
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2015
1043 posts
300 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Gee wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 10:50 pm
I don't think it is the hardware per se.

It is just the nature of Android, a quick reboot usually takes care of the issue but it eventually comes back

The Pixel 2 will be available by January, you may want to consider that as your next phone
What issue are you referring to? It's normal to restart agter a security update ...the latest one just got pushed out couple days ago
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2015
1043 posts
300 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
RCML27 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 10:18 pm
The restarts probably happen 2-3 times a month, although I've never thought to write it down to keep track.

When I do a restore/refresh, would it reload my contacts, calendar events, and apps back on by itself, or do I have to go and do all that myself?
That seems too often for security updates that are once every couple of months around

You just have to sign into your Google account after the refresh and everything gets loaded back ..even widgets, apps etc...you may have to sign in to apps again though

I use LastPass and logging into apps is super fast and all my passwords is managed
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23579 posts
2187 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Doubleshot wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 11:36 pm
What issue are you referring to? It's normal to restart agter a security update ...the latest one just got pushed out couple days ago
I'm always forced to restart to install updates.
May 16, 2015
681 posts
122 upvotes
York, ON
anyone have issues about volume automatically goes down to mute when using headphones?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23579 posts
2187 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
bigmac22 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 12:12 am
anyone have issues about volume automatically goes down to mute when using headphones?
This happens to me when I go from Bluetooth to radio in my car. Volume goes to mute.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2015
1043 posts
300 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Gee wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 10:54 am
This happens to me when I go from Bluetooth to radio in my car. Volume goes to mute.
This is a feature they added that is very welcomed

It's smart enough to know new bt device is connected and volume should be different. I have volume on high when connected to speakers/car but when I pair to my headphones.. that is not what I want
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
44206 posts
3246 upvotes
Toronto
I've got a Nexus 6P also but i've never experienced any of the problems you mentioned. Regarding the reboots, you will know if it's a reboot from a software update as you should see the updating process with the android robot i think. If it doesn't show that then your phone rebooted on it's own for some other reason.

My fingerprint sensor works as advertised.
[OP]
May 28, 2007
422 posts
47 upvotes
It's not rebooting due to a software update. It always tells me when there's a new software upgrade and to reboot the phone. As I recall, when it just restarts on it's own, it's usually when I take it out of my pocket or pick it up to use it. Maybe it's the sensitive power button on the side of the phone that's causing it to restart, but usually pushing that button just turns off the phone and not cause a restart.

The fingerprint sensor thing happened again last night. So I figure it happens when the room is dark and I use the fingerprint sensor to unlock the phone. The dark screen goes white for a split second and then dark again before the main screen comes on. Wondering if this happens because of the sensor in the front of the phone trying to read the light input? Maybe someone else can try this in a dark blacked out room to see if the same thing happens?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
44206 posts
3246 upvotes
Toronto
RCML27 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 11:40 am
It's not rebooting due to a software update. It always tells me when there's a new software upgrade and to reboot the phone. As I recall, when it just restarts on it's own, it's usually when I take it out of my pocket or pick it up to use it. Maybe it's the sensitive power button on the side of the phone that's causing it to restart, but usually pushing that button just turns off the phone and not cause a restart.

The fingerprint sensor thing happened again last night. So I figure it happens when the room is dark and I use the fingerprint sensor to unlock the phone. The dark screen goes white for a split second and then dark again before the main screen comes on. Wondering if this happens because of the sensor in the front of the phone trying to read the light input? Maybe someone else can try this in a dark blacked out room to see if the same thing happens?
If you have software updates available then i would update it.