Nexus 6p issues?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2017 6:22 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1851 posts
1300 upvotes
hdom wrote: May be different for everyone, if you have warranty then call them up to see what they offer. The issue of reboot is very well known now, google 6P lawsuit.
Never knew it had the reboot issue. Good to be aware of it.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1851 posts
1300 upvotes
Thanks everyone for all your comments and experiences.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
Not just reboot but random shut down too. I got my 6P directly from Google and was already out of warranty but they were able to offer a trade with a refurb unit, however I was reading that people that did the same traded multiple times and still didn't resolve the issue. It seems there was no real fix to the issue and they are just rotating phones with the same issue around and hoping you go away. Personally, I am just waiting for the Note 8 to come out and hope Samsung didn't screw that one up too.

The same issue is reported on the 5X and other android phone as well, seems like it is related to the hardware and latest Android, Google either doesn't know or want to fix.
RCML27 wrote: Never knew it had the reboot issue. Good to be aware of it.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1851 posts
1300 upvotes
hdom wrote: Not just reboot but random shut down too. I got my 6P directly from Google and was already out of warranty but they were able to offer a trade with a refurb unit, however I was reading that people that did the same traded multiple times and still didn't resolve the issue. It seems there was no real fix to the issue and they are just rotating phones with the same issue around and hoping you go away. Personally, I am just waiting for the Note 8 to come out and hope Samsung didn't screw that one up too.

The same issue is reported on the 5X and other android phone as well, seems like it is related to the hardware and latest Android, Google either doesn't know or want to fix.
So it's a Google android issue and not necessarily a manufacturer, Huawei, problem? Was considering the next upgrade to be a Huawei P10 as a possible choice. Or Pixel.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
I didn't know the 6P had this much problems, i'm satisfied with mine. No problems but one.. My usb c port on the phone is wearing down meaning i have to push the usb c cable in pretty tightly for it to keep charging. I got my 6P LNIB this year, so it might have been the new batch perhaps?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
396 upvotes
Canada
uh oh, my 6P started doing the same thing, then it started happening more often. Then, it got stuck in a bootloop and I had to RMA it.
He died for me, I live for him
Jun 18, 2017
218 posts
77 upvotes
Vancouver
I thought I saw elsewhere that the Nexus 6P bootloop problem was the same as the Nexus 5 one, e.g. it is a permanent hardware problem and cannot be fixed, only delayed?
That's my name...
Sep 29, 2007
747 posts
345 upvotes
Ontario
Doubleshot wrote: All ohines regardless of iOS or Android needs a refresh/restore once in a while.
No, this is really just a hallmark of Android's awful programming.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2006
8311 posts
38 upvotes
If anyone is having battery issues with their Nexus 6P get in contact with Google Support (assuming you bought the phone from them) and they should be able to send you a refurbished unit at no charge.

The warranty on my phone expired in December but I was able to get a replacement last week. It's apparently a known issue but the rep wouldn't confirm if it was software or hardware related.

Either way, I'm a happy camper and am really impressed with Google's support.
Good, Fast, or Cheap: Pick Two.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6991 upvotes
GTA
I bought my N6P used, so no warranty, I tried but no go. I ended up replacing the battery DIY-style but it doesn't seem like it fixed anything. I was using stock 7.1.2 but was getting a lot of random reboots and freezes, so I updated to the OPP3 Android 8 beta, which fixes the reboots and freezes, but introduces system Android crashing and even worse battery life (under 2 hr SoT).

I'm going to do a factory restore and try again.

Edit: Factory reset, started from fresh, seems a lot better on the OPP3 Android 8 beta. Voice commands work now, but ill still have to test out a few apps. But so far so good.

edit2: Everything works a lot better now. Going to test for the next few days if battery gets any better.
Last edited by coriolis on Jul 22nd, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3261 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RCML27 wrote: I have a Nexus 6p that I upgraded from Costco in January 2016. For a while now, I've noticed some annoying issues with it. Sometimes it would just restart on it's own for no reason. Is it because it's restarting due to an update? Another issue is, when I use the fingerprint scanner to unlock it, it seems like it's taking a snapshot. But the screen remains dark though, but you would hear the camera click sound and the dark screen flicker like a photo was being taken. and then when you look in Photos, there's no photo there. Anybody else notice these issues? I did buy the Costco extended warranty, so not sure if this is really a major issue or not to use it.
Had a 6P that I got from Costco basically a month and a bit before you did, and it started having battery issues and a few random problems. Also got the extended warranty. Was pretty easy, just called them - they asked for the proof of purchase and since they don't stock 6p's refurbished anymore they sent a cheque for the original retail value which I then used towards a new phone.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1851 posts
1300 upvotes
Chrispy wrote: Had a 6P that I got from Costco basically a month and a bit before you did, and it started having battery issues and a few random problems. Also got the extended warranty. Was pretty easy, just called them - they asked for the proof of purchase and since they don't stock 6p's refurbished anymore they sent a cheque for the original retail value which I then used towards a new phone.
How did you give them your phone to check the problems? Did you just have to bring it back to the phone kiosk in Costco or send it somewhere? While they had your phone and before you could get your new one, what did you do for a phone?
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3261 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RCML27 wrote: How did you give them your phone to check the problems? Did you just have to bring it back to the phone kiosk in Costco or send it somewhere? While they had your phone and before you could get your new one, what did you do for a phone?
Nope, it was literally all over the phone. There's a web portal where you submit the issue/documents (info is in the brochure) and it was all done there. They didn't really ask to verify anything - just described the issue, spoke to someone over the phone and then they said they'd send the cheque as there were no refurb replacements. They sent a prepaid shipping label to then ship the Nexus back to them. Costco themselves don't do anything as it's administered third party by Assurion.

If you have ANY issues though, go speak to Costco - i've found they're good at intervening and 'making it right' when something goes awry. But dealing with Assurion was honestly really straight forward - no push back or anything.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1851 posts
1300 upvotes
Chrispy wrote: Nope, it was literally all over the phone. There's a web portal where you submit the issue/documents (info is in the brochure) and it was all done there. They didn't really ask to verify anything - just described the issue, spoke to someone over the phone and then they said they'd send the cheque as there were no refurb replacements. They sent a prepaid shipping label to then ship the Nexus back to them. Costco themselves don't do anything as it's administered third party by Assurion.

If you have ANY issues though, go speak to Costco - i've found they're good at intervening and 'making it right' when something goes awry. But dealing with Assurion was honestly really straight forward - no push back or anything.
Thanks. Really helpful information.
Jul 22, 2017
257 posts
181 upvotes
Pingu in the city
It seems to be a hardware issue with the Snapdragon 810 core. There's a workaround fix posted yesterday on XDA which fixed some of the bricked 6Ps.
Noot Noot!❗😄
Great coffee, better mind!
Aeropress | Hario V60 | French press | Vietnamese coffee filter | Kalita narrow-mouthed pot | %
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3320 posts
1214 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
PenguinRei wrote: It seems to be a hardware issue with the Snapdragon 810 core. There's a workaround fix posted yesterday on XDA which fixed some of the bricked 6Ps.

This is definitely not a fix, but a temp work around. The workaround disables the high performance cores which means you are running off of the low power cores. Performance will likely suck and be laggy, but at least you can get your data off of the phone if required.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2001
7112 posts
472 upvotes
Oakville
I'm having shutdown issues now. Called Rogers and they're unsympathetic since I'm past the 12 month warranty. Anyone have any luck going straight to Huawei? I'm not paying $150+ to replace a faulty phone if I can help it.
Heatware: canadianpsycho - 200-0-0 http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=249
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
rayray27 wrote: If anyone is having battery issues with their Nexus 6P get in contact with Google Support (assuming you bought the phone from them) and they should be able to send you a refurbished unit at no charge.

The warranty on my phone expired in December but I was able to get a replacement last week. It's apparently a known issue but the rep wouldn't confirm if it was software or hardware related.

Either way, I'm a happy camper and am really impressed with Google's support.
What did you say?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2006
8311 posts
38 upvotes
Jimboski wrote: What did you say?
I just said I was having issues with the battery draining way too fast (phone would be already be at 60% from full when I get to the office in the morning) and the phone would automatically shut-off when the battery dips below 20% (even with battery saver mode off).

Rep then asked a bunch of questions/suggests some workarounds: did you drop it? do you charge the phone overnight? do you have location/wifi/bluetooth on? have u tried deleting the cache? etc. I told her I have tried basically everything besides factory resetting the phone and after getting approval on her end, she starts the process of issuing a refurb unit for me.

I called on a Saturday and got the replacement the next Tuesday which was really fast. You then have to send your defective phone back to them (within 15 days I think) with the prepaid UPS shipping label provided to you or they will charge you the full amount for the phone.
Good, Fast, or Cheap: Pick Two.
Apr 24, 2017
152 posts
75 upvotes
vancouver
Has anyone upgraded to Android O for their 6P?

I'd like to hear of other users experiences with the new OS with this phone.

I had previously installed DP2 and it was pretty bad as the battery consumption was greater than on 7.1.2. The one benefit I found with Android O was the boot up time. it took less than 30 seconds to boot up, whereas with 7.1.2, it can take up to a minute to boot up