Tags:
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2818 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
RCML27 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 3:10 pm
I have a Nexus 6p that I upgraded from Costco in January 2016. For a while now, I've noticed some annoying issues with it. Sometimes it would just restart on it's own for no reason. Is it because it's restarting due to an update? Another issue is, when I use the fingerprint scanner to unlock it, it seems like it's taking a snapshot. But the screen remains dark though, but you would hear the camera click sound and the dark screen flicker like a photo was being taken. and then when you look in Photos, there's no photo there. Anybody else notice these issues? I did buy the Costco extended warranty, so not sure if this is really a major issue or not to use it.
Had a 6P that I got from Costco basically a month and a bit before you did, and it started having battery issues and a few random problems. Also got the extended warranty. Was pretty easy, just called them - they asked for the proof of purchase and since they don't stock 6p's refurbished anymore they sent a cheque for the original retail value which I then used towards a new phone.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
[OP]
May 28, 2007
479 posts
60 upvotes
Chrispy wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2017 12:45 pm
Had a 6P that I got from Costco basically a month and a bit before you did, and it started having battery issues and a few random problems. Also got the extended warranty. Was pretty easy, just called them - they asked for the proof of purchase and since they don't stock 6p's refurbished anymore they sent a cheque for the original retail value which I then used towards a new phone.
How did you give them your phone to check the problems? Did you just have to bring it back to the phone kiosk in Costco or send it somewhere? While they had your phone and before you could get your new one, what did you do for a phone?
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2818 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
RCML27 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2017 10:55 pm
How did you give them your phone to check the problems? Did you just have to bring it back to the phone kiosk in Costco or send it somewhere? While they had your phone and before you could get your new one, what did you do for a phone?
Nope, it was literally all over the phone. There's a web portal where you submit the issue/documents (info is in the brochure) and it was all done there. They didn't really ask to verify anything - just described the issue, spoke to someone over the phone and then they said they'd send the cheque as there were no refurb replacements. They sent a prepaid shipping label to then ship the Nexus back to them. Costco themselves don't do anything as it's administered third party by Assurion.

If you have ANY issues though, go speak to Costco - i've found they're good at intervening and 'making it right' when something goes awry. But dealing with Assurion was honestly really straight forward - no push back or anything.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
[OP]
May 28, 2007
479 posts
60 upvotes
Chrispy wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2017 11:35 pm
Nope, it was literally all over the phone. There's a web portal where you submit the issue/documents (info is in the brochure) and it was all done there. They didn't really ask to verify anything - just described the issue, spoke to someone over the phone and then they said they'd send the cheque as there were no refurb replacements. They sent a prepaid shipping label to then ship the Nexus back to them. Costco themselves don't do anything as it's administered third party by Assurion.

If you have ANY issues though, go speak to Costco - i've found they're good at intervening and 'making it right' when something goes awry. But dealing with Assurion was honestly really straight forward - no push back or anything.
Thanks. Really helpful information.
Jul 22, 2017
100 posts
45 upvotes
It seems to be a hardware issue with the Snapdragon 810 core. There's a workaround fix posted yesterday on XDA which fixed some of the bricked 6Ps.
Noot Noot!❗😄
Great coffee, better mind!
Aeropress + Metal filter | Hario V60 | French press | Vietnamese coffee filter
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2015 posts
212 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
PenguinRei wrote:
Jul 24th, 2017 2:03 pm
It seems to be a hardware issue with the Snapdragon 810 core. There's a workaround fix posted yesterday on XDA which fixed some of the bricked 6Ps.

This is definitely not a fix, but a temp work around. The workaround disables the high performance cores which means you are running off of the low power cores. Performance will likely suck and be laggy, but at least you can get your data off of the phone if required.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2001
7061 posts
417 upvotes
Oakville
I'm having shutdown issues now. Called Rogers and they're unsympathetic since I'm past the 12 month warranty. Anyone have any luck going straight to Huawei? I'm not paying $150+ to replace a faulty phone if I can help it.
Heatware: canadianpsycho - 200-0-0 http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=249
PS34Wii360ne Owner.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
44304 posts
3276 upvotes
Toronto
rayray27 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 10:28 pm
If anyone is having battery issues with their Nexus 6P get in contact with Google Support (assuming you bought the phone from them) and they should be able to send you a refurbished unit at no charge.

The warranty on my phone expired in December but I was able to get a replacement last week. It's apparently a known issue but the rep wouldn't confirm if it was software or hardware related.

Either way, I'm a happy camper and am really impressed with Google's support.
What did you say?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2006
8273 posts
27 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 8:48 pm
What did you say?
I just said I was having issues with the battery draining way too fast (phone would be already be at 60% from full when I get to the office in the morning) and the phone would automatically shut-off when the battery dips below 20% (even with battery saver mode off).

Rep then asked a bunch of questions/suggests some workarounds: did you drop it? do you charge the phone overnight? do you have location/wifi/bluetooth on? have u tried deleting the cache? etc. I told her I have tried basically everything besides factory resetting the phone and after getting approval on her end, she starts the process of issuing a refurb unit for me.

I called on a Saturday and got the replacement the next Tuesday which was really fast. You then have to send your defective phone back to them (within 15 days I think) with the prepaid UPS shipping label provided to you or they will charge you the full amount for the phone.
» ASUS P7P55D LE + Intel i7 860 2.8 GHz + Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
» G.Skill 4 X 2GB RIPJAWS DDR3 1600 + Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X
» Crucial M500 240GB + WD Blue 500GB + WD Green 1.5TB + WD Green 2.0TB
» Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced + Corsair HX620
Apr 24, 2017
34 posts
3 upvotes
Has anyone upgraded to Android O for their 6P?

I'd like to hear of other users experiences with the new OS with this phone.

I had previously installed DP2 and it was pretty bad as the battery consumption was greater than on 7.1.2. The one benefit I found with Android O was the boot up time. it took less than 30 seconds to boot up, whereas with 7.1.2, it can take up to a minute to boot up
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2001
7061 posts
417 upvotes
Oakville
So it looks like Huawei won't cover me out of warranty even with the widespread issues and class action lawsuit in the US. They want $150 (I'm assuming US, forgot to ask) to repair my phone. I've already ordered a Pixel XL to replace my 6P (going 2 weeks without a phone is not an option), is it worthwhile to pay the cost to repair the phone and list it here in the BST/Kijiji? They're going for about $300 and the phone will have 3 months warranty but it seems like a pain in the ass to try and recoup 100-150 bucks.
Heatware: canadianpsycho - 200-0-0 http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=249
PS34Wii360ne Owner.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
1021 posts
69 upvotes
Woodbridge
I started having my battery drain way too quickly just this week (started on the weekend). Previously I had cleared the cached in the recovery console because I noticed that the phone was draining a bit quickly but not as bad as it is now. I just charged it to 100% and with 20 minutes of usage the batter was down to 82%. This had never happened throughout the life of the phone.

I bought this from from that Newegg deal back in April 2016 so I guess it means going to Huawei to see if they'll replace it? I'm ready to try a full reset but I hate having to reinstall everything.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
1021 posts
69 upvotes
Woodbridge
Has anyone had any luck with getting Huawei to replace their phone when it's past the 1 year purchase period?

Update: Got off the phone with their tech support and because I purchased the phone from newegg.ca it's apparently a U.S. phone (checked the IMEI) and so it requires shipping the phone to the U.S. at my cost plus the cost to replace the battery and screen since it's a combo. $154USD to replace the battery. Not worth it in my eyes. Has anyone tried replacing the battery with one of the vendors at Pacific Mall?

FYI, I tried Android O and even wiped it clean and the battery performance is still the same. Contemplating whether I should try and sell it and get a used Pixel XL or stick it out to see what comes out from Google for the new Pixel.
Jul 22, 2006
245 posts
122 upvotes
I gave up on my Nexus 6p a few months ago. The rapid battery drain was getting ridiculous as I was barely getting 8-10 hours out of a charge anymore and I only had the phone for 17 months. I ended up trading it in on a new phone and at least got something for it in the end. I do regret not taking the extended warranty from Costco as I would have gotten the full value of the phone back in the form of a cheque, but lesson learned there. This was the first phone of many that i've had that had given me any semblance of problems, and i've been through many cell phones since my first one 24 years ago.

I really did like the 6p and everything that it offered, but alas in the end, they didn't make it to last any length of time.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4276 posts
490 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Canadianpsycho wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 9:41 am
So it looks like Huawei won't cover me out of warranty even with the widespread issues and class action lawsuit in the US. They want $150 (I'm assuming US, forgot to ask) to repair my phone. I've already ordered a Pixel XL to replace my 6P (going 2 weeks without a phone is not an option), is it worthwhile to pay the cost to repair the phone and list it here in the BST/Kijiji? They're going for about $300 and the phone will have 3 months warranty but it seems like a pain in the ass to try and recoup 100-150 bucks.
A couple of things you can do:
(i) After getting the Fido 2 (or 3 on sale) Gb $15 LTE plan, use it for this phone in your car providing a wifi hotspot while you are away from home/office. Plug the phone in the power socket of your car thus you literally bypass the need for draw power from the half dead battery of your phone. Buy a new phone as your main workhorse
(ii) Get an battery extender like this

(iii) If you don't get reasonable response from Huawei, do not buy their products from now on
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call