Hot Deals

NFL Gamepass now $20 a month or $150 a year in Canada through DAZN

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2017 4:04 pm
Aug 19, 2014
795 posts
346 upvotes
Dazn as the only source to get nfl is something very silly nfl did. Live Services on the internet just don't work the same as on cable or satellite.
I still don't understand how the hell those big 3 let this service get rights? And don't wanna do anything to get it back.
Oct 15, 2016
82 posts
17 upvotes
Rogers Rogers still have the $30 add-on if you have the Super Sports pak to watch the NFL games online?
Koodo & Public Mobile Customer.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1049 posts
286 upvotes
Hamilton
YorkIT wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 12:11 am
Rogers Rogers still have the $30 add-on if you have the Super Sports pak to watch the NFL games online?
Rogers never had the online add on for Sunday ticket...
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2368 posts
353 upvotes
Hamilton
betafuse wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 10:31 pm
Can people please enlighten me as to why they think this service is crap? Sure the frame rate can be better but for the price you are paying and the fact that they are trying to improve it in Canada, how can you be not only upset but call it out as a shit product. I'll gladly take $80 total for the season with minor, hopefully temporary quality issues. Im genuinely curious.
Shaner wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 10:36 pm
You said it yourself. "Hopefully temporary." The games stutter, skip and buffer. I literally miss entire plays because it freezes right when the throw/run is happening. Even if it was free, that's not good enough. I'll pay $60 per month for quality feeds rather than crap feeds for free (or in this case $20 per month).
CaptainCrash wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 10:39 pm
Read the thread...
- frame rate
- device support
- buffering and choppiness
- long delay from live
- features from previous game pass missing.
- max 2 streams.

I've said it a few times. I'm ok with what this is and what it costs... It's the fact that we have no choice that really gets people upset.
I can appreciate people wanting truly live without delays for sports and live events, as well as multiple streams or other features. But I’m honestly still a bit surprised that we’ve gotten this much in a single service for $150/year. They’ve gotten a lot of soccer, in HD that I was unable to get in a legitimate way via streaming before, and they just added BEIN sports.

Now, has the quality been a bit whack at times? Sure. But it’s also looked excellent very recently too. Given that they’re trying to grow a lot, have quickly added new devices to stream on, I’d rather be optimistic that they’ll slowly improve all aspects of the service.

In my circle of friends, as well as some tech communities online, I feel like we’ve been waiting forever to really have more options for sports when cutting the cord. This helps that a lot, and even gives me access to content I couldn’t even get on cable.

I get it, certain aspects (some delay, wanting more than 2 streams) is not optimal for some. But to call it a useless or crap service is a bit harsh.
Aug 1, 2010
528 posts
243 upvotes
CaptainCrash wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 11:42 pm
Again look at some people's reasons... live betting is pretty much gone. (May not be your thing but the delay kills it).

Those of us used to having multiple games on multiple Tv's are hindered big time.

As far as I'm concerned of you look at comparables.... MLB NBA NHL as well as cable equivalents are all better.... that makes it the worse sports package around.

Also...the android TV app is brutal. Having all sorts of issues with it.

They clearly weren't ready to launch on this scale.
Spot on. Completely agree. As someone who live bets and likes to watch multiple games at once, this service is a disgusting downgrade from Sunday Ticket. Luckily, someone in this thread posted an alternative and it looks promising so far.
Unfortunately, at this time, nothing will top cable for Live Sports.
DAZN replacing Gamepass is fine, some people don't care about it's shortcomings. I'm just disgusted at the fact Sunday Ticket is no longer an option.
Blame goes on NFL/The Big 3 for allowing this to happen
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1049 posts
286 upvotes
Hamilton
joey003 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 8:39 am
I can appreciate people wanting truly live without delays for sports and live events, as well as multiple streams or other features. But I’m honestly still a bit surprised that we’ve gotten this much in a single service for $150/year. They’ve gotten a lot of soccer, in HD that I was unable to get in a legitimate way via streaming before, and they just added BEIN sports.

Now, has the quality been a bit whack at times? Sure. But it’s also looked excellent very recently too. Given that they’re trying to grow a lot, have quickly added new devices to stream on, I’d rather be optimistic that they’ll slowly improve all aspects of the service.

In my circle of friends, as well as some tech communities online, I feel like we’ve been waiting forever to really have more options for sports when cutting the cord. This helps that a lot, and even gives me access to content I couldn’t even get on cable.

I get it, certain aspects (some delay, wanting more than 2 streams) is not optimal for some. But to call it a useless or crap service is a bit harsh.
Please tell me how this is "more options"
Anybody regardless of age, geography, internet speed etc had to go through DAZN. And it's inferior to both last year's game Pass and cable...
Nov 27, 2004
447 posts
54 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
CaptainCrash wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 8:56 am
Please tell me how this is "more options"
Anybody regardless of age, geography, internet speed etc had to go through DAZN. And it's inferior to both last year's game Pass and cable...
It is too bad your experience sucks so much and I suspect it is the poorly developed android apps. I watched two League 1 games yesterday and about an hour of NFL before I switched to watching Shapovalov on SportsNow. Picture was very good and completely stable. The frame rate could be better but I am watching on a 60" Panasonic 1080p plasma using an AppleTV and I am satisfied.

This is preseason NFL and everyone gets 30-days free. Think of it as a beta. Hopefully DAZN fixes their android apps and improves the frame rate before the NFL season opener.
Feb 25, 2014
567 posts
134 upvotes
Ottawa
Cantley wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 9:13 am
It is too bad your experience sucks so much and I suspect it is the poorly developed android apps.
Streaming quality is very good on my Android phone.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2992 posts
408 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
betafuse wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 10:31 pm
Can people please enlighten me as to why they think this service is crap? Sure the frame rate can be better but for the price you are paying and the fact that they are trying to improve it in Canada, how can you be not only upset but call it out as a shit product. I'll gladly take $80 total for the season with minor, hopefully temporary quality issues. Im genuinely curious.
Because instead of an actual cable company offering a flawless service ALONGSIDE a streaming only service for cord cutters, (that is utterly pathetic) the option was (again) ripped away from Canadians. The NFL made this deal and now I for one will NOT be subbing to a service I really enjoyed in years past via Rogers and Sunday ticket TV. The O-N-L-Y reason I still have cable TV is for sports. I WANT to pay the premium price for flawless TV in true HD without motion blur and pathetic +/- 25fps video that make mid 2k's you tube videos look awesome by comparison, but again choices were taken from Canadians and I can no longer do that.
Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through.
Jul 5, 2004
22173 posts
2072 upvotes
betafuse wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 11:16 pm
I just haven't experienced the choppiness except for a select few times when the app crashed. Does it really happen that often for you? I guess it depends on connection and device used cause it happens rarely for me.

The device support has already improved, I am now watching on PS4 and Samsung TV. Sure the games are 30-60 seconds behind and the frame rate isn't ideal but I just don't find those reasons to literally call it a crap service. I guess I'm just more lenient that others when it comes to this.
You're more lenient because it's working for you. It's obviously not working for everybody or Dazn wouldn't have had to delete thousands of angry tweets. Many people can't find the app on their samsung TV's. I know I can't. It's also stuttering badly for me. It's completely unwatchable, regardless of which method I use to stream it. That to me is crap. The fact that I think it's crap doesn't mean I'm not lenient. I'd be lenient if I could watch it at all, but I can't. I'm a hardcore football junkie with no way of watching the games this year.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Nov 27, 2004
447 posts
54 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
Shaner wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:17 am
It's obviously not working for everybody or Dazn wouldn't have had to delete thousands of angry tweets.
This sounds like hyperbole to me. Link please.
Oct 26, 2003
840 posts
71 upvotes
Mississauga
The first game that I tried to watch was a couple of days ago and that streamed fine to my Nexus 7 tablet. I tried again last night with the Bucs (my team) vs Bengals. It worked for the most part, but I kept getting error messages early in the game which would then stop the stream. Eventually, it seemed to become smooth again, but I missed most of the plays with the starters.

I couldn't get the regular cast (not Chromecast) to work at all. My Samsung TV has a screen mirroring option. I can see a mirror of my N7 on the TV, but the DAZN would not work with that at all.

I couldn't find the app on the Samsung TV, but that could be because I set it up with the US app store in order to get Hulu, Vudu, etc.

I then tried my 3rd gen iPad. The initial signal quality was horrible, but then improved to watchable.

Needless to say, I'm not keen on watching all of my football on either the 7" or 9.7" screen. Some, but not all. I'll probably test my computer tonight (woohoo 13"!! :) ) I'll also check to see if they have a Xbox360 app.

To repeat what others have said: I'm not happy, but hopeful they can fix things.
Jul 5, 2004
22173 posts
2072 upvotes
Cantley wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:27 am
This sounds like hyperbole to me. Link please.
You want a link to deleted tweets? How is that even possible? Just read back in this thread or to top Reddit and read any threads about Dazn there. You'll see lots of people saying Dazn is getting trashed on Twitter and then lots of people saying tweets are being deleted. I saw lots of negative tweets that are no longer there.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Nov 27, 2004
447 posts
54 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
I see the same people tweeting over and over. "Professor Willoughby" seems to be tweeting the same vitriol every hour and all his tweets are there. So yes, show me some proof.
Feb 3, 2008
124 posts
80 upvotes
Montreal
When pirate streams are of better quality than the official NFL sanctioned streaming service.. 25fps is a joke :facepalm:

As Gabe Newell eloquently stated regarding piracy:
"Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem," he said. "If a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable."

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)