• Nov 9th, 2018 9:42 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17122 posts
1454 upvotes
Woodbridge
I have so much respect for Belichick and Brady which is why I route for them when my Steelers get knock off the playoffs.

I like what Doug Pederson and Wentz did more at Philadelphia. I was hoping for an Eagles/Steelers Super Bowl LII this year. :(

I would've cancelled my Philippines trip if it happened.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
16095 posts
12786 upvotes
Toronto
Biff88 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 9:28 pm
Yay, so the souvenir vinyl Birmingham Bolts football we have in our basement may not be obsolete after all!
Do you happen to have a Toronto Phantoms jersey from our failed foray into arena football? Been looking for one but Ebay too pricey
An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10601 posts
1266 upvotes
Swerny wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 10:15 am
Alex Smith traded to the Redskins, given a 4 year, $94 million extension with $71M in guarantees.

Kirk Cousins will now be a FA and will end up as the league's highest paid player.

Wow.
Washington is giving up a lot and investing a lot:
-Losing a young talented (and cheap) CB Kendall Fuller
-Losing Cousins
-Investing roughly $24 million per year on a QB who is about par with Cousins.
-Losing 3rd round pick, but gaining compensatory 3rd or 4th round pick when Cousins signs for another team.

So at the end of the day, they are down one CB and locked in with Alex Smith for the next 4 years.

Meanwhile KC, has a bunch of extra cap room, extra pick, new CB (with Eric Berry coming back, that's scary secondary) and if Mahomes turns into a decent QB, KC has a chance at a legit SB run next year.

I hear Cousins might go to the Browns, but my money is on the Broncos.
Nov 26, 2012
2 posts
North York
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 1:58 pm
Washington is giving up a lot and investing a lot:
-Losing a young talented (and cheap) CB Kendall Fuller
-Losing Cousins
-Investing roughly $24 million per year on a QB who is about par with Cousins.
-Losing 3rd round pick, but gaining compensatory 3rd or 4th round pick when Cousins signs for another team.

So at the end of the day, they are down one CB and locked in with Alex Smith for the next 4 years.

Meanwhile KC, has a bunch of extra cap room, extra pick, new CB (with Eric Berry coming back, that's scary secondary) and if Mahomes turns into a decent QB, KC has a chance at a legit SB run next year.

I hear Cousins might go to the Browns, but my money is on the Broncos.
$71M guarantees is probably injury protected. The actual amount should be lower.

The clear winner is the Chiefs.

I could see Cousins going to Minny or Denver as he noted that he wants to contend.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1343 posts
212 upvotes
BC
I really am not keen on seeing the Patriots every year. The Eagles, with Carson Wentz might win. Foles, I'm not sure. But, not being a fan of either team, I don't really care.
"Believe in Something. Even if it means sacrificing everything." Its also the motto of my Gambling addicted friend.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2095 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
So nobody here watched the Super Bowl? :) Yes I am a disappointed Pats fan, but you can't win them all. Really they were fortunate to beat Atlanta and Seattle the last 2 times, so I am at peace with this loss.
My take is that 2 things were the deciding factors. 1. The defense could not come up with any big stops. Seems like Foles converted every 3rd down they needed. A couple of 3rd down stops would have changed the complexion of the game. 2. The Pats really need to get some big bodied physical wide receivers ala Kelvin Benjamin/Alshon Jeffrey to go against aggressive defenses like the Eagles have. They always seems to prefer the small guys.
Too bad Cooks went out early with concussion..frustrated that no flag was thrown for the helmet to helmet hit.

Oh well at least it was a team that had never won a SB before. The long suffering Eagles fans are pretty happy. Wonder how Carson Wentz feels though...this was his season.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9610 posts
1721 upvotes
Montréal
Biff88 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:18 pm
So nobody here watched the Super Bowl? :) Yes I am a disappointed Pats fan, but you can't win them all. Really they were fortunate to beat Atlanta and Seattle the last 2 times, so I am at peace with this loss.
My take is that 2 things were the deciding factors. 1. The defense could not come up with any big stops. Seems like Foles converted every 3rd down they needed. A couple of 3rd down stops would have changed the complexion of the game. 2. The Pats really need to get some big bodied physical wide receivers ala Kelvin Benjamin/Alshon Jeffrey to go against aggressive defenses like the Eagles have. They always seems to prefer the small guys.
Too bad Cooks went out early with concussion..frustrated that no flag was thrown for the helmet to helmet hit.

Oh well at least it was a team that had never won a SB before. The long suffering Eagles fans are pretty happy. Wonder how Carson Wentz feels though...this was his season.
Props for your objectivity. I didn't realize atm that the Eagles were only 8 pts up so Brady almost did it.

I heard a rumor that Belilchik benched Butler due to some politics (late for team meeting)? Man, that may have costed them the game right now.

Can't believe just found this channel, funny as hell:
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Nov 16, 2011
6088 posts
202 upvotes
Still have no idea why Belichick benched Butler but it must of been a really really good reason.

That defense could have used all of the help.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10601 posts
1266 upvotes
TheRealVinsanity wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 9:40 am
Still have no idea why Belichick benched Butler but it must of been a really really good reason.

That defense could have used all of the help.
I read it was a combination of him recovering from the flu, missing curfew and not playing well during practice. A 100% Butler could have made the deference, but he was a very average CB this year. Also the Patriots have a long track record of benching big names before games and even during games. Nobody would know who Butler was in the first place if they didn't bench Kyle Arrington mid way through the SB against the Seahawks.

I'm of the same mindset as @biff88. I'm a long time Patriots fan, so it hurts when they lose the SB, but I also remember a time when they were one of the "never won and never will win" teams of the NFL with a few SB trips, but blown out in each one. So I'm glad to see a team like the Eagles finally shake that monkey off their back.
Dec 22, 2014
635 posts
172 upvotes
Regina, SK
I am still surprised at how the game played out. Prior to the game I figured if Philly was going to win they would do so because their defense played a dominant role all game, but defensively they only made 1 really significant play/stop. If somebody told me that New England would have 600+ yards of offense and 30+ points AND lose the game - I would have said that was impossible.

Benching Butler on defense and not getting him in the game by half time was stupid. Half a game on the biggest stage was plenty punishment, especially when they clearly needed to make an adjustment. That wasn't the only weird coaching decision - that missed field goal on 4th and 1. I don't understand why they didn't gamble. Both these teams are typically aggressive in that situation and they both had aggressive game plans. Prior to that play I think Brandon Cooks had tried to hurdle the defender for a 1st down, that was a bad decision from Cooks. He stays on the ground he probably has enough momentum to get the 1st down, but once caught in the air he came to a complete stop.

I don't think Philly could have played a much better game than that, which is scary because New England probably could have been better in some decision making and execution.

I liked the calls on both "controversial" touchdowns. I don't even understand why it took so long to confirm the Ertz touchdown because he was clearly a runner after a couple steps with the ball. People compared it to the James TD catch that was reversed in the regular season game between the Patriots and Steelers, but they are completely different because James never took any steps and became a runner.