• Dec 3rd, 2018 4:53 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17200 posts
1504 upvotes
Woodbridge
This year I took the Philadelphia Eagles. My trip to the Philippines was paid for. LOL

I love Nick Foles, the rest of the season when he took over was pretty much his pre-season. He delivered in the playoffs and we'll deserved MVP.

I know it's business and wish the Eagles could keep both. :(
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10660 posts
1322 upvotes
Browns were on fire on Friday/Saturday:

Traded fourth-round pick in 2018 and seventh-round pick in 2019 — to the Miami Dolphins for wide receiver Jarvis Landry.
Traded a third-round pick — No. 65 overall — to the Buffalo Bills for quarterback Tyrod Taylor.
Traded quarterback DeShone Kizer to the Green Bay Packers for cornerback Damarious Randall.
Traded defensive tackle Danny Shelton and a 2018 fifth-round pick to the New England Patriots for a 2019 third-round pick.

I can't believe Tyrod fetched such a high pick. It's a thrid round pick, but the first pick in the third round, so it's almost like a second round pick. Well at least this means the Bills are going after a QB.. Cousins? Foles? Somebody in the draft? Front office really likes Rosen.

Miami loses their #1 target, but needs cap room big time. So that makes sense.

Packers' D is going to suck more, but at least they have a much better back up QB than what they had last year. If Kizer does turn into the next Garappolo, then Packers could opt to keep him rather than resign Rogers, who in 2 years will probably want 4-5 year contract worth $30mil per year and will be 36. Which if his skill level stays where it's at, he deserves that kind of money, but 36, the wheels could start falling off.

Pats get a young, decent DT for what could amount to a pick being picked roughly 33 spots later. Shelton was good in Cleveland, but could be end up being a star in New England, making him worth the first round selection the Browns used to get him. Even if he's just okay, that run defense is dramatically improved.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17200 posts
1504 upvotes
Woodbridge
Explain to me why certain QB's like Kirk Cousins who HASN'T DONE ANYTHING not even advanced deep in the playoffs are getting paid so much?
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10660 posts
1322 upvotes
bembol wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 5:23 pm
Explain to me why certain QB's like Kirk Cousins who HASN'T DONE ANYTHING not even advanced deep in the playoffs are getting paid so much?
This is escalating like crazy...

Derek Carr has accomplished less... get $25 million per year.
Matthew Stafford the most deserving out of the recent contracts, but far above the likes of Rogers, Brady, Big Ben, Brees, Wilson... gets $27 million per year.
Jimmy Garappolo only started in 7 games (granted he won all of them)... gets $27.5 million per year.

And now Kirk Cousins who is somewhere between these guys... gets $28 million per year. Yet none of these guys are the elite of the NFL that bring it every year and have won Super Bowls and MVPs.

Judging from that Drew Brees signed a "team friendly" deal at only $25 million per year.

If this keep escalating, 2020 is going to be completely insane... 30+ million per year contracts? Granted some of these guys will retire and some will get extensions prior to 2020, but here's the notable 2020 FA QB list:

Brady
Rogers
Brees
Roethlisberger
Wilson
Rivers
Goff
Wentz
Manning
Prescott
Deal Fanatic
Nov 16, 2011
6135 posts
211 upvotes
As a Patriots fan, losing Amendola was tough. He was an awesome performer in the playoffs.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2098 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 9:01 am
This is escalating like crazy...

Derek Carr has accomplished less... get $25 million per year.
Matthew Stafford the most deserving out of the recent contracts, but far above the likes of Rogers, Brady, Big Ben, Brees, Wilson... gets $27 million per year.
Jimmy Garappolo only started in 7 games (granted he won all of them)... gets $27.5 million per year.

And now Kirk Cousins who is somewhere between these guys... gets $28 million per year. Yet none of these guys are the elite of the NFL that bring it every year and have won Super Bowls and MVPs.

Judging from that Drew Brees signed a "team friendly" deal at only $25 million per year.

If this keep escalating, 2020 is going to be completely insane... 30+ million per year contracts? Granted some of these guys will retire and some will get extensions prior to 2020, but here's the notable 2020 FA QB list:

Brady
Rogers
Brees
Roethlisberger
Wilson
Rivers
Goff
Wentz
Manning
Prescott
Yeah ironic that when Garappolo signed his deal, he was the highest paid QB in league history for a brief time. That deal based on the results from 7 games.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2098 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto
TheRealVinsanity wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 9:27 am
As a Patriots fan, losing Amendola was tough. He was an awesome performer in the playoffs.
Hopefully Edelman will be ready to start the season.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10660 posts
1322 upvotes
Anybody paying attention to the Bills? They have been impressive so far this off season. Every move has been money so far.

1. Traded Tyrod for 65th pick overall. That's a ton of value for a guy I thought no team would want to pick up that salary and is only signed for 1 year.
2. Signed a bunch of defensive guys fairly cheap to reasonably priced: Lotuleli, Murphy, Stanford and Bush. None of these guys are household names, but all help that weak defense.
3. Traded Glenn with 21st pick for 12th pick. Having the 21st, 22nd picks, they would need to trade a lot more to get up to a top 5 spot. Now with a 12th and 22nd, that becomes much easier without giving up too many picks.
4. Signed AJ McCarron for only for 2 years total: $10 million + up to $6.5 million in incentives. That's still cheaper than 1 year with Tyrod.

Got their starting QB (who knows, could become the next Garappolo). They will get their QB of the future assuming they trade up into the top 5 draft pick. They improved defensively... and did all that with a good amount of picks remaining and cap room. I don't expect the Bill to contend next year, but they got that ship pointing in the right direction.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2098 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Mar 15th, 2018 10:25 am
Anybody paying attention to the Bills? They have been impressive so far this off season. Every move has been money so far.

1. Traded Tyrod for 65th pick overall. That's a ton of value for a guy I thought no team would want to pick up that salary and is only signed for 1 year.
2. Signed a bunch of defensive guys fairly cheap to reasonably priced: Lotuleli, Murphy, Stanford and Bush. None of these guys are household names, but all help that weak defense.
3. Traded Glenn with 21st pick for 12th pick. Having the 21st, 22nd picks, they would need to trade a lot more to get up to a top 5 spot. Now with a 12th and 22nd, that becomes much easier without giving up too many picks.
4. Signed AJ McCarron for only for 2 years total: $10 million + up to $6.5 million in incentives. That's still cheaper than 1 year with Tyrod.

Got their starting QB (who knows, could become the next Garappolo). They will get their QB of the future assuming they trade up into the top 5 draft pick. They improved defensively... and did all that with a good amount of picks remaining and cap room. I don't expect the Bill to contend next year, but they got that ship pointing in the right direction.
Yes have been following along and like most of the moves. But would not have minded if they kept Tyrod for another year to bide time for the QB to be drafted. He is not the guy to get the Bills to a Super Bowl, but he helped them win games by extending a lot of plays with his feet, had a low turnover rate and masked the deficiencies of a weak offensive line that was really exposed in the Nate Peterman game last season. With Eric Wood gone, it will be worse now and AJ Mcarron will have a tough time next season. Really hoping that they can finally get a franchise QB...it’s been a long time since Jim Kelly.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3402 posts
622 upvotes
London
was thinking Mcarron was a shitty move but freeing up the cap vs Tyrod makes sense.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 16, 2011
6135 posts
211 upvotes
Seems like the ball is in the Bill's court now to make a trade for the second pick if they really want a QB in this draft.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2127 posts
327 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Mar 15th, 2018 10:25 am
Not overly impressed. Money was good for McCarron but I don't see how a guy with 4 career starts is better than Tyrod who has much more experience and has led them to their first playoff appearance in close to 20 years.

Got jumped by the Jets and now will have to overpay for a QB. Highly doubtful the Giants trade with them because you know the Jets called and were declined. Looks like the Giants are going QB. Also the GM of the Giants has never traded down in his career as a GM. If they do, then the Bills will massively overpay. Expect the price to be something like #12, #22, #53, #56 and next year's 1st. Otherwise, they can wait and hope that a QB falls or massively overpay Cleveland for the #4 pick who will be shopping it to everyone not to mention the Broncos and Dolphins who have a higher pick than the Bills do. Even then, if they can make that trade, it looks like they get the 4th best QB in the draft.