NFL Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2024 12:45 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
753 upvotes
I was rooting for the seahawks but seattle choked plain and simple. No excuse for giving up 14 pts and not getting any in the 4th qtr. Last play was terrible.

Good job by patriots. They grinded back from a deficit and a rookie made a big play at the end. What a game.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2010
2764 posts
183 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote: I was rooting for the seahawks but seattle choked plain and simple. No excuse for giving up 14 pts and not getting any in the 4th qtr. Last play was terrible.

Good job by patriots. They grinded back from a deficit and a rookie made a big play at the end. What a game.
Congrats to the Patriots, but I agree that was a horrible play call. That's like having Michael Jordan on your team being down one and deciding to give the last shot to Horace Grant. Yes Horace Grant is good, but he is not your best. You have a guy with 4 straight 1,000 yard rushing seasons, and a lower than 1% fumble rate on your team and you do not trust him to get one yard. You have a team which is ranked NUMBER 1 in rushing yards per game this season and 27th in passing, and you don't run for the 1 yard. You have a team with a 162 yard to 57 yard rushing advantage in this game and you pass the ball. Just Amazing.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
canabiz wrote: I know we are all speculating here but I think Pete wants to continue the momentum and goes up and let his defense takes care of the rest with about 30 seconds left or so?

I understand injuries are part of the game but losing Jeremy Lane early and Cliff Avril late in the game definitely hurt the Seahawks. Tharold Simon kept getting burned by Edelman who should be the MVP, IMO and the Seahawks front 7 didn't exactly put a ton of pressure on Tom throughout the game.

Will be interesting if these 2 teams can keep the impending agents together for next year (Revis, McCourty, Gostkowski, Vereen for NE and Kearse, Walters, Zach Miller, Kevin Williams, Byron Maxwell for Seattle)
Revis wants to stay with a long contract and the Pats want to resign. But if they can't come to a deal, rumour has it the Pats with use the option on Revis' contract... even if it means paying him $20 mill. Gostkowski is someone they need to resign, but won't pay big money. I think for sure you'll see Vereen and Develin back as Pats. The rest of the team is locked up well and they have money to spend. In the past, they have lost more and still succeeded.

On the flip side Seattle could be in big money woes. Signing Wilson to big money means not only can they not keep most of the FAs, but are not in position to sign any top talent either. Also Lynch held out during training camp. Having the year he had, there's the fear he's gong to hold out again. But much like the top teams, Seattle is great at growing their own talent. They lost a bunch of people last season and still made it back to the SB. They will still be the team to beat next season in the NFC.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12700 posts
15951 upvotes
Biff88 wrote: Interesting stat. We all know that its not that easy to score from the one. After the game Pete Carroll said part of the decision was that they only had one timeout left(they blew it with that first time out call to avoid the delay of game penalty).
Additionally Carroll said the Pats putting in the heavy goal line defense also played a part of the decision. Earlier in the game the Pats D line made it into the backfield at least once stopping Marshawn for no gain.

Having said all that..I would have gone Beast mode for that play anyway.
Yes, but a goal line defense is the standard call in football when the opposing team is at your 1 or 2 yard line. No matter what level football you are in, pee wee, junior, high school, college, professional, you have a goal line defense in that situation. The way Lynch was running he would have no problem scoring.
Have a nice day!

Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
16073 posts
910 upvotes
Stouffville
worst play call in history of football happened.. and that happened after the worst NON timeout call by Bellichick... how he didnt call a time out when they got 2nd and goal at the 1 with like 1 min left was crazy.. take the time out, if they get in, u give urself 45-50 sec to get into FG range.. yes it worked out for them but still..

2nd and goal at the 1 with a timeout and 20 sec left? 100% ur first play is a RUN with Lynch.. one of the best RB and probably the strongest.. u go for him to get that 1 yard.. if he doesnt, take the timeout.. then u can decide if u want to give him one more chance, or u would have time to try TWO corner endzone throws on 3rd and 4th down.. maybe to Matthews...

unreal terrible way to end a great game...
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2003
4982 posts
580 upvotes
BC
worst call in nfl history for sure.. i mean any high school running back can probably get that in with 3 tries.. and u dont let the best running back bring it in.. :confused:

makes u wonder if the game is fixed in some way... lol
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
iownyou wrote: SEATTLE has won superbowl 49!!!

tom brady couldn't play with a properly inflated ball...
-- seattle-has-won-superbowl-49-a-1668325

Oops. Someone really jumped the gun. :D

Don't really follow the NFL, but that was a really good game. Patriots deserved the win. I thought they had the better of the play throughout the game.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19791 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
There's really no explanation for it when you have the Beast at back.

Pete said something about New England showed their goal line defence stacked up so he opted to throw and something about having only one time out left. I don't follow College Football but I remember seeing it on A Football Life on NFL Network, tonight Marshall Faulk mentioned it on Game Day Final, how Pete sidelined Reggie Bush on a critical drive/play. I'm not a Dallas Cowboys fan but they also made key mistakes by not giving it Murray in the Green Bay Packers game.

I kept saying I don't really care who wins because I love both but they way it ended was really sad.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
May 9, 2001
1549 posts
59 upvotes
#FireDarrellBevell Consistently calls terribly predictable plays (defense ends up saving them every game) and this worst call in the history of football-dom should be his noose. Ugh. It's like fate was handing them the game and they spat on that gift.
I'm on the road to 5000...
Sep 10, 2004
687 posts
36 upvotes
Have to give credit where credit is due. Props to the Patriots; down 14 going into the fourth and they pull it out.

They made those short passes over the middle all night. I didn't think they would be able to. Im not sure why Seattle didn't adjust to it. I know they lost Lane early and they were banged up, but damn, they were burned repeatedly by Edelman, especially over the middle. You would think Seattle would have learned from their loss to San Diego earlier this season to defend the short.

It could get worse for the Seahawks... Lynch must be pissed... wonder if he re-signs after that...
Sep 10, 2004
687 posts
36 upvotes
Guys, it was a bad play call, bad throw and a great play by the defensive back as well.

Running a quick slant in the middle of the field against a goal line defense... Why not try a fade ? Worst thing is it goes incomplete out the back of the end-zone. It will take off a couple of more seconds but you don't risk the INT.

Or better yet give it to your best offensive player - Lynch.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
G-Yo wrote: Guys, it was a bad play call, bad throw and a great play by the defensive back as well.

Running a quick slant in the middle of the field against a goal line defense... Why not try a fade ? Worst thing is it goes incomplete out the back of the end-zone. It will take off a couple of more seconds but you don't risk the INT.

Or better yet give it to your best offensive player - Lynch.
Really? Isnt that what Kap did with Crabtree in the NFCCG previous season?? Guess, what.. ended in an INT by a LB after the Sherman tip ended the game giving Seattle SB 48. Quite a few fades end up as INT in the end zone.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Almost had it right except the I didnt predict the lame pass call by OC Darrell Bevell. Sounds familiar?? Yea, straight out of the play book of lame OC Greg Roman. 5 yds and goal against ravens he passes all 4 downs and loses. Not a single run, wtf. Must be the same OC school. LOB isnt that great in short passing offensive plays. Pats CS saw that on film and exposed it. Brady threw very few long passes the entire game.

However, I did get right

-Marshawn getting over 100 yds (102 yds)
-Garrett Blount back to his usual game avg of 39yds/game (40 yds)
-Pats would be under 60 yds rushing whole game (57yds)

Didnt get right

-Brady getting 328 yds passing against Seattle by throwing short passes in the flat behind the LB
-lame last play call at 1 yd line.
Sep 10, 2004
687 posts
36 upvotes
A fade couldn't have ended worse than what we saw. But I was just throwing that out there, they could have gone play action and had him roll out, make a pass to an open receiver, run it in himself, or just throw it away. It would have probably taken more time off the clock but it was less risky than that route.

Plus, I don't even think he would have scored had he caught the ball. The defender was right there and he looked shy of the goal line.

Ohh well...
Sep 10, 2004
687 posts
36 upvotes
New England isn't the first team to do that this season. San Diego threw a ton of short yardage passes and beat them too. So the blueprint was out there. As talented as they are, Im surprised they weren't able to adjust. Seattle's defense was pretty badly beat up though so that was probably a factor too.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
NFL always has it that SB teams replay each other early following season. Brady wont be so lucky next time they meet in 2015 reg. season. Carroll will remember to run it at short and goal. Last season Seattle beat Bronco's 2nd time after SB. Beating Manning was no fluke.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: NFL always has it that SB teams replay each other early following season. Brady wont be so lucky next time they meet in 2015 reg. season. Carroll will remember to run it at short and goal. Last season Seattle beat Bronco's 2nd time after SB. Beating Manning was no fluke.
It doesn't work that way. Schedules are all mostly predetermined in the NFL.

1. Play own division 2 times = 6 games
2. Play one AFC division = 4 games
3. Play one NFC division = 4 games
4. Only part of the schedule not predetermined. Play the teams which finished in a similar spot as you in your conference that isn't in part 2 or 3* = 2 games

*If you finished in last place in your division, you play the last place finisher in the other divisions in your conference.

Patriots played the NFC West in 2012. Patriots played the NFC South last season. Patriots played the NFC North this season. And next season will be the NFC East. Seahawk vs Patriots rematch will have to wait until 2016, unless they play a meaningless preseason game or rematch in the finals.
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
247 upvotes
how the hell did Brady get MVP?

if Brady wasn't white, i bet the MVP would have went to the guy who intercepted the ball at the end.

just like how they hosed Wilson of the MVP last year.
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
753 upvotes
Abel4Life wrote: Congrats to the Patriots, but I agree that was a horrible play call. That's like having Michael Jordan on your team being down one and deciding to give the last shot to Horace Grant. Yes Horace Grant is good, but he is not your best. You have a guy with 4 straight 1,000 yard rushing seasons, and a lower than 1% fumble rate on your team and you do not trust him to get one yard. You have a team which is ranked NUMBER 1 in rushing yards per game this season and 27th in passing, and you don't run for the 1 yard. You have a team with a 162 yard to 57 yard rushing advantage in this game and you pass the ball. Just Amazing.
ahhaah yeah.

When you make decisions like that, you deserve to lose. I think the seahawks will still be a factor next year though. LOB was just too beat up to do anything spectacular. Let see what the line up will be next year though.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
ledorky wrote: #FireDarrellBevell Consistently calls terribly predictable plays (defense ends up saving them every game) and this worst call in the history of football-dom should be his noose. Ugh. It's like fate was handing them the game and they spat on that gift.
Carroll taking the fall for Bevell's error, lol. That's big of him but he had the right to overrule and call the run. So yea, it is his fault. There's no way Pats D would have stopped Lynch all 4 downs. They didnt learn from Niners crapola OC in Greg Roman. Pathetic.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)