Tags:
None
Feb 28, 2012
96 posts
15 upvotes
Vaughan
PrimaryTech wrote:
Sep 29th, 2015 9:11 am
In all honesty, I'm unsure. But re-broadcasting in any form is illegal in both Canada and U.S. I wouldn't be surprised at all if MLBAM does end up going after end-users as well. Similar to satellite sites that sold donations for satellite services. I never signed up for the service therefore I'm unsure what sort of information/payment you need to provide to them but be cautious of providing legit information to HockeyStreams. Don't be shocked if in a few years you get a letter in the mail from MLBAM demanding $ to settle out of court.
I agree with you, I wouldn't be surprised that if MLB has it's way, then the NHL platform is screwed. Obviously the product will be better for those who pay but look at how content is shared right now. MLB freaks out whenever another source re-posts their material on youtube or anywhere else whereas the NHL looks the other way. They understand that it's more important that fans see the action rather than forcing everyone to pay for something they wouldn't pay for anyway.

We're a week away from the season start and the platform isn't even accepting payments from other countries. Something is off, this is late. Either they are trying to cut down on people buying GCL through a VPN or they are trying to implement the MLB platform quickly. Either way, obviously whatever they are working on is late. Rogers pricing scheme is stupid though. You're paying $100/month for cable (if you have cable) and then they want another $179.99 (early bird) to watch all the games that aren't blacked out.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1534 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote:
Sep 28th, 2015 10:54 pm
Does hockeystreams pirate the gamecenter feeds, or do they use satellite? If it's gamecenter's feeds that I would agree. MLB must be better then who ever runs NHL's current streaming software.
It's not the GC feeds because hockeystreams has very minor delay from tv broadcast. GC on the other hand is 45+ seconds.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1534 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
Are ppl able to send out hockeystreams invites or do they have to come directly from the site?
Feb 28, 2012
96 posts
15 upvotes
Vaughan
chowder wrote:
Sep 29th, 2015 11:43 am
Are ppl able to send out hockeystreams invites or do they have to come directly from the site?
I think it has to come from the site. People have commented that they get the invite within a day. I'm on day 5 now with no invite from them. Maybe they are trying to figure something out with their streams for this season. ;)
Nov 29, 2014
61 posts
40 upvotes
Surrey, BC
The ability to pause Hockeystreams subscription is the real gamechanger. You get 2 seasons for $110.
Nov 29, 2014
61 posts
40 upvotes
Surrey, BC
sonick wrote:
Sep 28th, 2015 5:07 pm
Does hockeystreams allow you to watch a game in progress from the beginning? Or can you only watch it live, until the game is over?

e.g. if the game is in the 3rd period in real time, can I watch from the beginning of the game and skip commercials?
Yup you can watch it from the beginning without it showing you any scores etc.
Oct 5, 2014
13 posts
Toronto, ON
Any idea on when GCL prices are up?

Few days away from puck drop and nothing...
Dec 8, 2002
803 posts
158 upvotes
Oakville
common47 wrote:
Sep 30th, 2015 3:25 am
Any idea on when GCL prices are up?

Few days away from puck drop and nothing...
My guess is tonight. Their coming soon page changed and it's not forwarding to Rogers even from Canadian IP. Also all subscriptions renew Oct 1. Tonight is the night. I hope.
Nov 5, 2014
117 posts
44 upvotes
Ottawa
I read on HFBoards that GCL subscriptions for this season should go live on Oct 1st. Pricing for USA should be as stated below (I would think in USD). I am still hoping it will be cheaper with the same workaround as last year. We shall see...

[QUOTE]Ok..The info I just got from GCL support is that the package will be available for purchase on Oct. 1. Pricing for full package is 131.50 and the single team package is 105.25. I'll be getting the single team. The 26.00 savings will buy me my popcorn for the season.[/QUOTE]
Dec 8, 2002
803 posts
158 upvotes
Oakville
politicalcanuck wrote:
Sep 30th, 2015 7:34 am
I read on HFBoards that GCL subscriptions for this season should go live on Oct 1st. Pricing for USA should be as stated below (I would think in USD). I am still hoping it will be cheaper with the same workaround as last year. We shall see...
Thanks for the update. Single team packages is what I was hoping for. Too bad courts never made it mandatory and Robbers knew that little fact which right away strayed me away to even look at Robbers packages.

With conversation if you were to purchase from US, pretty darn close to Robbers full season pack. Of course that part was planned. Still a bit cheaper via US option though.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1534 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
How much is robbers pack?
I paid $75 USD last year for GCL. Curious to see what renewal rate will be and also what cancellation policy is if it's auto-renewed and I'm not happy.
Dec 8, 2002
803 posts
158 upvotes
Oakville
chowder wrote:
Sep 30th, 2015 9:17 am
How much is robbers pack?
I paid $75 USD last year for GCL. Curious to see what renewal rate will be and also what cancellation policy is if it's auto-renewed and I'm not happy.
$179.99 Full season early bird (199 after Oct 7) or 29.99/month
Feb 28, 2012
96 posts
15 upvotes
Vaughan
PrimaryTech wrote:
Sep 30th, 2015 9:43 am
$179.99 Full season early bird (199 after Oct 7) or 29.99/month
This waiting is killing me. I would probably pay the 179.99 if Robbers didn't have blackouts. I don't understand how they can charge but still have blackouts. I feel like it's wrong to pay and support that business model.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8052 posts
924 upvotes
Victoria
jb10071 wrote:
Sep 30th, 2015 9:53 am
This waiting is killing me. I would probably pay the 179.99 if Robbers didn't have blackouts. I don't understand how they can charge but still have blackouts. I feel like it's wrong to pay and support that business model.
Gamecenter and other online sports is designed to offer people out of market games, not in market games. They make way more money off the TV revenue that they do offering online streaming.
Feb 28, 2012
96 posts
15 upvotes
Vaughan
zod wrote:
Sep 30th, 2015 9:58 am
Gamecenter and other online sports is designed to offer people out of market games, not in market games. They make way more money off the TV revenue that they do offering online streaming.
Absolutely. You're right, far more revenue from TV. But as a customer to pay and be blacked out makes no sense because the customer is losing and the business is gaining. Too lopsided, those relationships are never healthy. I know it's always been that way, but that philosophy in 2015 has become outdated. This is why people to turn to VPN's and other sources like hockeystreams. The more we talk about it, the more I've decided not to sign up for GCL. They have to stop with the blackouts, especially if they are charging so much.