• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2017 11:24 pm
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1003 posts
266 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
This really sucks. Ovechkin has said he will go, screw Bettman, and apparently a few other stars are considering it. I really hope there are at least a half dozen or more star players that go. What's Bettman going to do to elite players? Suspend them?
The little general has spoken and I hope no one listens.

As for the IOC being corrupt, yeah they are but the Olympics put on good hockey. Better than the average Saturday night NHL stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 16, 2011
5678 posts
154 upvotes
I understand from both sides why this is happening. But as usual, the fans will lose out IMO
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5276 posts
1316 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Will this include the AHL (the farm teams) players?

If we can't send our best, lets send our 2nd best.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10553 posts
575 upvotes
Scarborough
Don't have a problem with it.

It only looks like a problem because we are discussing this in Canada. How many of you would be awake at 3am watching Slovakia vs Finland? If it was Canada and the gold medal sure, but even then, how many people would be awake at 3am on a work day just to watch Canada in the round robin.

The NHL is already starting their trip to Asia and skipping out on the Olympics may hurt in the short term but if they have a plan for Asia, then I don't think it will be a problem long-term.

The easy solution would be to let the players go if they want and the players who do go (most likely all the superstars) should forego their salary and compensation during that time-period. NHL teams would have leeway to call-up their AHL players as required (without waivers, etc) to fill the void. Then the season can continue for two weeks. Owners can also have the right to prevent their players from going (which can be bad or good) but let's say for those two weeks you ice the best team while other teams have poor looking versions of themselves, that is just to your benefit.
Dec 21, 2012
283 posts
176 upvotes
Winnipeg
I hope they don't go. It's time for the Olympics to get back to what it should be, amateur sport. Anyone who is paid a salary and does a sport as a full time job should not be allowed and that should go for all countries. Let's see some future stars out there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1769 posts
408 upvotes
Unionville, ON
poleman wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 9:36 pm
This really sucks. Ovechkin has said he will go, screw Bettman, and apparently a few other stars are considering it. I really hope there are at least a half dozen or more star players that go. What's Bettman going to do to elite players? Suspend them?
The little general has spoken and I hope no one listens.

As for the IOC being corrupt, yeah they are but the Olympics put on good hockey. Better than the average Saturday night NHL stuff.
On the Fan590 AM radio last night, they talkd about the IIHF which apparently has a clause where NHL players under contract cannot leave the league to play in another tournament/league (which the Olympics is, sort of) without explicit written permission. So, if Ovechkin leaves to play, he technically would have to "retire" from the NHL. But, Ovechkin is a hardline Russian patriot, he has a basic relationship with Putin so I wouldn't be surprise if Russia's national team would ignore the rules and let him play anyway. The Capitals owner already said he'd let Ovechkin go play but knowing the rules, the owner is just saying that to keep his star player happy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1769 posts
408 upvotes
Unionville, ON
truckmania wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 11:51 am
I hope they don't go. It's time for the Olympics to get back to what it should be, amateur sport. Anyone who is paid a salary and does a sport as a full time job should not be allowed and that should go for all countries. Let's see some future stars out there.
But that's like the majority of athletes these days. A number of Canadian athletes are sponsored and endorsed by corporations year round. It's how they make a living.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10336 posts
656 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Even if NHL players don't go, there will still be professionals going. It's not like the level of hockey jumps from amateurs straight to the NHL.

I would love to see them go, but I don't blame the NHL if they ultimately decide not to (I don't buy that their announcement is written in stone).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1769 posts
408 upvotes
Unionville, ON
rabbit wrote:
Apr 9th, 2017 1:56 am
Even if NHL players don't go, there will still be professionals going. It's not like the level of hockey jumps from amateurs straight to the NHL.

I would love to see them go, but I don't blame the NHL if they ultimately decide not to (I don't buy that their announcement is written in stone).
You mean Canadian NHL rejects playing in the European league or KHL? Basically, NHL calibre players that wasn't signed by a single NHL team... lol
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10336 posts
656 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
There's AHL, although I don't know if they would be allowed to go, with teams being close affiliates with NHL teams.

There's a few other pro leagues in North America:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_i ... th_America

Don't know what the LOL is regarding rejected NHL players. Do you think amateurs would be better?
Temp. Banned
Apr 6, 2016
277 posts
8 upvotes
The players decide there future and the league's will follow suit.