Niagara Falls Tourism Fee

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2018 11:10 am
[OP]
Sep 25, 2016
35 posts
31 upvotes

Niagara Falls Tourism Fee

I am going on a trip to Niagara Falls soon and wanted to know more about the Niagara Tourism Improvement Fee (TIF).

I heard that you can remove the fee if you request for it to be removed, but I also heard people saying that the merchant declines to remove it as it is a part of their 'policy'.

I was wondering if anybody could provide input if this fee could be removed and any experience with this issue.

Thanks!
9 replies
Temp. Banned
Dec 7, 2012
31628 posts
8035 upvotes
GTHA
chowardhow wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 12:49 am
I am going on a trip to Niagara Falls soon and wanted to know more about the Niagara Tourism Improvement Fee (TIF).

I heard that you can remove the fee if you request for it to be removed, but I also heard people saying that the merchant declines to remove it as it is a part of their 'policy'.

I was wondering if anybody could provide input if this fee could be removed and any experience with this issue.

Thanks!
Read @PointsHubby post in thread https://forums.redflagdeals.com/plannin ... #p29611661

For now, indeed travellers to the area can have the DMF removed from their bills by requesting it.
As it is not LEGALLY a Tax

But starting January 1, 2019 the DMF will disappear entirely, only to be replaced by a Municipal Hotel / Accommodations Tax of $ 2 per room per night.

And as it will be a LEGAL Tax there will be no removing it

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/new ... hotel-tax/

Read these threads for "input if this fee could be removed and any experience with this issue"

The Infamous DMF or TIF is now a mandatory Charge
Niagara Tourism Fee not voluntary?

In the future please use the forum search tool before creating new threads, thanks.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1566 posts
554 upvotes
Ontario
There are a couple of other threads on this, and the outcome was that you CANNOT simply ask to have this ripoff fee removed. Most people don't notice.
More and more places are getting into this sneaky way to scam unsuspecting out of towners. Sudbury, ON. Sault Ste. Marie, ON are two.
Feb 11, 2009
950 posts
207 upvotes
I say call them before hand and don't spend your hard-earned money on any location that forces you to pay this.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6344 posts
1053 upvotes
Mississauga
Just pay the fee. With the overpriced rooms, overpriced food and overpriced attractions that fee is minor. Just enjoy your stay.

As my wife always says "you never see a brinks truck following a hearst"
Feb 6, 2006
3 posts
By chance are you an Antigua guru? We have chartered a yacht there in Nov and would appreciate any tips.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4828 posts
2620 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 9:05 pm
Just pay the fee. With the overpriced rooms, overpriced food and overpriced attractions that fee is minor. Just enjoy your stay.

As my wife always says "you never see a brinks truck following a hearst"
Our family & yours are on the same page

It is what it is

I agree with everyone else that the NF DMF is an annoyance

In the same way that mosquitos in Algonquin Park are

BUT...

I didn’t go to Algonquin Park to dwell on the Mosquitos
And I don’t go to Niagara to dwell on the DMF

All my vacations to NF have been memorable in a positive way (the Niagara Region a real gem in Canada’s crown of many gems) that I can somewhat overlook the inconvenience of it all

Even if it shows up anywhere from 2% to 10% as an add on for things I use in NF (Hotel, Restaurants, Parking)

Cause for the most part, I am quite satisfied with the WHOLE VISIT... and all the great things to experience there... which someone is definitely paying for to provide me

The upcoming Hotel Tax will be welcomed by me, because it is a fixed amount... and a lot lower

So, I will feel like that Lady @ IKEA next time I visit... yelling “start the car” as I run out of the Hotel Lobby after checking out
Smiling Face With Sunglasses

A BARGAIN in good old touristy NF... who knew
Sep 28, 2017
130 posts
67 upvotes
i have to disagree here.... a lot of these places have to use sneaky tactics to do this and i feel when they do that i'm not going to pay it. i'm also a resident here and already pay my taxes to the city so i'm hard assed NOT going to pay it.

sure, at times it's only 2% but it can get much higher depending on what you are doing or where you are going. if this is a true tax or fee it should be posted like a liquor license or any other license that has to be in a conspicuous (sp?) place to be seen and should be on the menu in restaurants. anything shady makes it look like a cheap cash grab.

on many occasions when i have asked to have it removed and the waiter/waitress or even the manager has given me a BS story or refused i've simply calculated what i owe for the meal, the real taxes and the tip and left that. they can't argue that as i've paid what i owe... and i'm on my way. more than a few places have now started to ask if you are a local resident (with showing your drivers license as proof) and omitted it.

it's a better way to go about it and save a scene making them look bad in front of other patrons than to lie or sneak it on and then have to feel the wrath of an angry customer.

look at it like this: you go for an oil change. they put in the required amount and then park your car. return to the desk and process the bill... you now see there is a fee for parking your car, a fee for Reggie to process the bill and a fee for them to hand you the keys. when you ask about these fees Reggie states "oh, well the government has now implemented this new (extra) service fee. i can remove it if you like." you were just going for a $35 oil change but now it's 6% higher.... and then the real taxes on top of that.

so you mean to tell me you would just suck it up and pay that and be ok with it ? i have a hard time believing that. i'm sure about 98% of the clientele would complain and find another place to get their oil change done. the only way to get stuff like this removed is to refuse to pay it... marketplace did a piece on it and couldn't even tell you where that money goes. it certainly doesn't go into the lights, fireworks and other cute sh!t as that comes from their allowance that each city/town is mandated from parliament hill. but they sure like to use that as the reason.

also, to those in the local falls area, if you show your license at most hotels/motels you can get rooms 25% cheaper. this especially works at great wolf lodge !! now that's a real bargain in good old touristy NF pointshubby, so start that car !!! lol
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8773 posts
1473 upvotes
Markham
We were there 2 weeks ago, Dinned at Milestone at asked the waitress to waive it, she has no problem bringing the corrected bill back without the TIF.
Stayed at Marriott Restaurant and Spa hotel, at the check out I asked to waive the charge, I'm from Toronto, ON. She asked to see my Driver License and then waived it.

I can't tell rather all merchant will waive it but my attempt was 2 on 2.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)