• Jul 17th, 2018 8:19 pm
Deal Addict
May 8, 2003
1864 posts
6078 upvotes
Toronto

Niagara speed trap snags 6 exotic cars

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/ ... -1.4744004

When car rental company Ultimate Exotic's luxury car excursion hit Niagara-on-the-Lake on Wednesday, Niagara Regional Police officers were waiting for them.

Police announced Thursday that they stopped six people driving some of the world's most powerful cars — with some going more than double the speed limit — in a traffic stop targeting the company's five-hour "VIP" car excursion.

Those charged include:

A 37-year-old Hamilton man who was clocked going 124 km/h in a 70 km/h zone in a 2010 Porsche Cayenne. He faces four highway traffic act charges including speeding and stunt driving.
A 58 year-old man from Burlington was stopped in an orange 2016 Lamborghini, going 117 km/h in a 70 km/h zone. He faces one charge of speeding.
A 25 year-old Toronto man who was clocked driving a red 2014 McLaren 137 km/h in a 70 km/h zone. He faces two Highway Traffic Act charges, including speeding and stunt driving.
A 27 year-old woman from Oakville who was driving a blue 2016 Corvette and faces one charge of careless driving.
A 48 year-old Richmond Hill man who was stopped driving a white 2016 Mercedes AMG GT R going 148 km/h in a 70 km/h zone. He faces two Highway Traffic Act charges, including speeding and stunt driving.
A 57 year-old woman from Quebec who was driving a white 2016 Nissan GT-R and faces three Highway Traffic Act charges, including speeding and stunt driving for going 148 km/h in a 70 km/h zone.
69 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41789 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Bravo!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21165 upvotes
Toronto
LOL. But then I am sure they have the $ to pay for the fines, storage, tow, future insurance premium hikes, legal (if they decide to fight it)
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Same group that got busted last year on the 400 or one of the major roadways?

Edit: Side note!

A 57 year-old woman from Quebec who was driving a white 2016 Nissan GT-R and faces three Highway Traffic Act charges, including speeding and stunt driving for going 148 km/h in a 70 km/h zone.
Last edited by koffey on Jul 12th, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
LOL

Was the 2010 cayenne the pace car?
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
That's freaking hilarious... Company using public roads as their own private test track to make a buck. I'm guessing that's going to backfire big time on them...

I wonder if they had to reschedule their "VIP lunch at the Keg Steakhouse"?

C
Apr 25, 2010
155 posts
152 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: LOL. But then I am sure they have the $ to pay for the fines, storage, tow, future insurance premium hikes, legal (if they decide to fight it)
These weren't their cars... it's an exotic car rental company that allows you to take the cars for 5 hours, switching between 5 cars every hour. These were people like you and me who decided to rent some sports cars for the afternoon, so they probably don't have the money to fight it, I assume.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
2161 posts
3196 upvotes
GTA
1:06 of the video - same car company ... exotic cars for rent and they usually switch between the cars all day.

Sucks for the people driving... you kind of pay to use the car like that... now they are going to face a ton of legal action from the car rental company as well for lost business - and that's in addition to the driving fines and increased insurance costs over the years.

Wouldn't be surprised if it costed them $25K each after its all said and done.
Apr 25, 2010
155 posts
152 upvotes
Toronto
georgecantstandya wrote: 1:06 of the video - same car company ... exotic cars for rent and they usually switch between the cars all day.

Sucks for the people driving... you kind of pay to use the car like that... now they are going to face a ton of legal action from the car rental company as well for lost business - and that's in addition to the driving fines and increased insurance costs over the years.

Wouldn't be surprised if it costed them $25K each after its all said and done.
you're right, I didn't even think of the ramifications from the car rental company...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6959 posts
6077 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I’ve heard of this firm and what they do. I suspected that there’d be some shenanigans and I guess the local citizenry finally got fed up with these folks ripping around their rural roads like boy-racers.

Wonder if they’ll smarten up and keep the guests in check or if they’ll resort to car & mouse games by changing up their routes and trying to continue to get away with it.

Good in the local constabulary for this - I know I’d be annoyed if they were doing this in my area!
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1191 upvotes
I wonder who be on the hook for the towing and storage charges ?
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
Wonder who is going to have to pay for the tow and storage fees?

If it's the renters, they're even more of bunch of idiots to go along with this scheme.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
lmfao at renting an "exotic" Porsche SUV. Someone has dreams of being a trophy wife soccer mom? Also, if you want to have fun with a car, take it to a track. Way more fun than public roads.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
Those people know that they are not on a track race and there is a speed limit in public road. So they are deserve to got pull over and pay for the fine and whatever charge they are facing.

The company will probably get sue if they intend to rent out cars for customers to stunt driving on a public road.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
MP3_SKY wrote: Those people know that they are not on a track race and there is a speed limit in public road. So they are deserve to got pull over and pay for the fine and whatever charge they are facing.

The company will probably get sue if they intend to rent out cars for customers to stunt driving on a public road.
Also, how boring is it to drive 140kph? That's like fall asleep cruising on the highway. Unless your corning at the limit then it's pretty boring.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
MP3_SKY wrote: Those people know that they are not on a track race and there is a speed limit in public road. So they are deserve to got pull over and pay for the fine and whatever charge they are facing.

Considering they were being led by a staff member in a pace car, it will be interesting to see how all this rolls out...

I remember taking a motorcycle out during a Honda "Test Event" day many years ago... The rider before me switched the fuel line to "Reserve" before handing it over, so I got a few miles into the ride before it shut down. The chase rider pulled over with me, and we diagnosed the issue. Then he hopped on his bike and told me to "Follow him!". Let's just say we went a wee bit faster than I would have on my own... Nowhere close to doubling the speed limit, though...

C
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
The Cayenne feels really out of place among the group.

Surely the cars got impounded? Wonder what happens since they are rentals.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: Also, how boring is it to drive 140kph? That's like fall asleep cruising on the highway. Unless your corning at the limit then it's pretty boring.
140kmp was on a 70kmhr zone, so those are not highway.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
At least none of them were smart enough to pretend they are visitors with IDP's.

If they were smart, they probably wouldn't be driving too fast on 70 km/h stretches.

Hopefully both them and the rental car company get fined.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)