• Dec 23rd, 2009 1:33 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 21, 2003
615 posts
138 upvotes
Waterloo, Ontario

Nice high quality casual leather shoes

I'm looking for a pair of nice casual leather shoes that aren't made in China and won't fall apart after less than a year. From what I can tell, pretty much all department stores, mall shoes stores, etc. now only carry cheap **** from China. I've gone through three pairs of shoes from various places, and they all fell apart far too quickly for the price. My dad has some really nice leather shoes he got in the States (made in USA), but I'm wary of ordering online out of country because I'm either a 12 or 13, and it's extremely variable by brand.

Is there anywhere in Canada I should check that sells high quality leather shoes made in North America? I'd be happy to try somewhere online out of province. I'm also happy to pay a reasonable price for better quality shoes. My current shoes (from Transit, I think) have collapsed heels, holes through the sole, etc. after less than a year, and I'm getting a little sick of having wet socks all the time :mad:
"My fellow Americans, these are not the droids the nation is looking for."
20 replies
Oct 16, 2009
228 posts
Toronto
Bob_McBob wrote: I'm looking for a pair of nice casual leather shoes that aren't made in China and won't fall apart after less than a year. From what I can tell, pretty much all department stores, mall shoes stores, etc. now only carry cheap **** from China. I've gone through three pairs of shoes from various places, and they all fell apart far too quickly for the price. My dad has some really nice leather shoes he got in the States (made in USA), but I'm wary of ordering online out of country because I'm either a 12 or 13, and it's extremely variable by brand.

Is there anywhere in Canada I should check that sells high quality leather shoes made in North America? I'd be happy to try somewhere online out of province. I'm also happy to pay a reasonable price for better quality shoes. My current shoes (from Transit, I think) have collapsed heels, holes through the sole, etc. after less than a year, and I'm getting a little sick of having wet socks all the time :mad:
I always try to buy clothes made either in EU or NA. But so far, I have very few pieces, cause almost everything is made in southeast Asia.
I have one pair of nice leather shoes, made in Portugal. The brand is called Artica. I bought them from Brown's for $90.
Car is not a car if it doesn't say Achtung underneath the hood!
Oct 10, 2004
919 posts
217 upvotes
Winnipeg
If your budget is sizeable, and you want a pair of well-built, non-asian, last-forever shoes, you can start here.
Sep 21, 2003
615 posts
138 upvotes
Waterloo, Ontario
velomane wrote: If your budget is sizeable, and you want a pair of well-built, non-asian, last-forever shoes, you can start here.
My budget isn't that high, but I'd pay a couple hundred for a nice pair of shoes that will last a while. I know you can get well-made leather shoes for under $200 in the States. I'm not looking for anything fancy.
Jul 30, 2006
988 posts
41 upvotes
At retail Allen Edmonds should be just around your price range. Take a look at loake for something just north of your budget.

Also check out Holt Renfrew Last Call. On sale they have some great deals on shoes, look for the brands paul smith, NDC, RL, Barker Black. They should be around the $200 mark on sale... though selection can be limited/rare since it is a last call store. A bit of luck involved to get really great shoes for cheap
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12939 posts
1862 upvotes
Brampton
My shoes from transit didn't last long either. They have a fake thread stitch around them so it appears as though the upper is stitched to the soles! Instead they are glued together :mad: Needless to say they didn't last long!
Sep 21, 2003
615 posts
138 upvotes
Waterloo, Ontario
My last pair from The Bay (also made in China and not even particularly cheap!) completely fell apart after a few months. The heels collapsed like my current shoes, and one of the soles pretty much fell off. I'm mad that I didn't go back and demand a refund even after that much time.
Jul 29, 2006
637 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
When it comes to shoes, you definitely pay for what you get. I have Timberland boots that are 5+ yrs old. The leather is still solid but the soles are slightly worn which is typical of a tired shoe. Good shoe company(s) even have a re-sole-ing programs (see Allen Edmonds)

My best advice is to get 3 pairs of good quality shoes and take care of them. They should last you a few yrs. With that being said, keep them dust free, polish them often, keep them dry and dont wear the same pair 2 days in a row.
Mar 9, 2008
496 posts
43 upvotes
Shoes are the last thing you should cheap out on in your wardrobe. You place the most stress and wear on them out of all your clothing items by nature of them just touching the ground all the time, and if you want them to last a reasonable amount of time you should be prepared to spend a correspondingly reasonably amount. For your budget I'd try Allen Edmonds or Cole Haan. FWIW I've seen Oxfords from Boss & Ralph Lauren for close to $100 at Nordstrom Rack, though they aren't exactly beacons of shoe longevity...
Nov 28, 2008
44 posts
even aldo had this 'boulden' model that's made in portugal this year... but I still doubted its longetivity so i ended up returning it
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
velomane wrote: If your budget is sizeable, and you want a pair of well-built, non-asian, last-forever shoes, you can start here.
It is with a heavy heart that we inform you that Dack’s Shoes Limited filed for Bankruptcy on Dec. 11th, 2009. :(

I'm looking for similar shoes myself. So far I think I like Cole Haan's stuff, but it's hard to find the right style.
Deal with it.
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
How good are Geox shoes with respect to quality? Mephisto?
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
2030 posts
490 upvotes
MrDisco wrote: How good are Geox shoes with respect to quality? Mephisto?
I have a pair of Geox shoes. They look nice, but they're very uncomfortable, and the leather where my foot bends is wearing much quicker than my Hush Puppies shoes even though I wear them less and they were more expensive. There was another RFD thread around here about the Geox shoes leaking in water too. I haven't experienced it personally, but I'd just go with Ecco for reasonably priced quality.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3593 posts
379 upvotes
Richmond
Ecco shoes are super comfortable and they've been quite durable so far. Try it out, you'll be hooked.

Though I really want to get a pair of Mephisto's one day.