Nightmare neighbour chopped down my tree

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2013 6:39 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 27, 2007
442 posts
60 upvotes
OP, take pictures and document everything RIGHT AWAY. It's important to have concrete evidence in any situation.

You mentioned that you're going to speak with the owner soon. RECORD THE CONVERSATION. If he admits that he trespassed and chopped down your tree, you've got it recorded. His tone of voice will also be documented. It is legal to record conversations as long as one party (yourself) knows - meaning, you don't need to let your neighbour know that you're recording him.

I can't stress enough how important it is to have good documentation and records of everything. It will come in handy if you ever need it - for litigation, police report, etc.

GOOD LUCK OP
Sep 17, 2002
701 posts
84 upvotes
BTW, transplanting season is really bad over the next bit since weather is warmer.

You may want to wait until spring unless it's hand dug. Expect very moist soil which is difficult to spade.

I would definitely mention if he doesn't buy one now (soon) he replacement costs will be higher in the spring. He may not care as he is likely to sell the home before then.
Sep 17, 2002
701 posts
84 upvotes
One last thing, if you do go to court ... and win ... you will get replacement cost, court fees reimbursed and any judgement costs.

Here's the problem....it doesn't mean the guy will pay! It's not like it's 25K and wages have to garnished to provide child support.

You may spend a lot of time/money/effort trying to collect.

Definitely talk to him and get a feel for him .... if he's a pri**k, call the city to have an inspector come over. That will get his attention quick. It doesn't matter if he knows it's you, he's flipping the house right. If he' flipping, is he reporting proper income. See were I'm going...
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
10271 posts
1148 upvotes
Markham
since you said he is flipping this house
you are lucky at least in the end he won't be living next to you
64TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 48TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
32TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2012 Essentials
11TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2012 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro / 6TB HP Mediasmart EX 485
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2002
9936 posts
1826 upvotes
Oakville
Post when the open house is and we'll all go around with muddy shoes and wreck the place.

He's lucky he didn't do this to me, he'd never sell the house.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2009
1420 posts
109 upvotes
Walk over there with a baseball bat over your shoulder. Tell him he has 48 hours to pay you X amount for all the damage. If he doesn't pay it you'll play baseball with his knee caps. All this diplomatic crap and talk of court and police reports will get you nothing. This guy wants to act like some tough guy gangster doing whatever he wants so give him a taste of his own medicine. I had an Italian Neighbour who acted like a mob boss, I ended that quick with a few choice words that weren't very friendly. If you can't do it send someone who can.
Jan 8, 2011
521 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
Andex wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 8:51 pm
Walk over there with a baseball bat over your shoulder. Tell him he has 48 hours to pay you X amount for all the damage. If he doesn't pay it you'll play baseball with his knee caps. All this diplomatic crap and talk of court and police reports will get you nothing. This guy wants to act like some tough guy gangster doing whatever he wants so give him a taste of his own medicine. I had an Italian Neighbour who acted like a mob boss, I ended that quick with a few choice words that weren't very friendly. If you can't do it send someone who can.
No wonder society is dysfunctional, you're just a messed up as the guy who cut down the tree, possibly more.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1188 posts
76 upvotes
GTA
Call the city and start complaining. Call WSIB and start complaining. Call TSSA and start complaining.

Call every known governing body regarding construction. Just make his life a living hell and delay his project as much as you can.
pennywize wrote:Go up to her in person and ask: Does this cloth smell like chloroform to you?
Success rate = 100%
MrBurns wrote:
Apr 18th, 2011 3:30 pm
I'd push an old lady in front of a semi to get a penny off the sidewalk.
Dec 13, 2011
816 posts
68 upvotes
Backlight wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 8:58 pm
No wonder society is dysfunctional, you're just a messed up as the guy who cut down the tree, possibly more.
yea...I think so too.,,
--------------------------------
:evil:
Spam:irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.
Feb 17, 2012
229 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
To the OP, This guy needs to be shown right from wrong so dont let this guy get away with this BS!!! Do what you can to document, video record everything he does and record any type of conversation with him. He crossed the line... literally.

Typically i wouldnt do this but in this situation i would look at all the by laws and try and pin something on him. :)
Jul 22, 2009
331 posts
27 upvotes
If you need contract killers I can recommend some because it sounds like you certainly need one
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2002
9936 posts
1826 upvotes
Oakville
KBTT wrote:
Dec 8th, 2012 1:46 pm
If you need contract killers I can recommend some because it sounds like you certainly need one
Rearrange to form a sentence:
Mountain a making molehill a of out.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1410 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto
True

The only problem is his next victim awaits his arrival.

Cheers!
Keigotw wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 6:45 pm
since you said he is flipping this house
you are lucky at least in the end he won't be living next to you
RFD priceless!
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2011
4225 posts
55 upvotes
NORTH YORK
rayray13 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 6:46 pm
Call the cops. It probably won't do you much good, but in case this guy has left a trail of carnage at other locations, you might have a chance. The key here is finding someone who actually saw him do it.

I would install surveillance cameras to capture/prevent any further damages.

been there.
Correct.
"Internet is serious business" HeeHeeHee.
Losers/trolls waste time posting this "I don't feel like wasting time researching nonsense and trying to disprove the collective theories of a group of people that do not have, or deserve, even the tiniest shred of credibility. I'd rather amuse myself."
× < >