[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 25, 2003
5185 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto

Nikon D200 Question

Hey guys.
Is 700 for a Nikon D200 brand new int he box, but no receipt, a good deal ?

I have the D80 now, so is it worth getting the d200 over the d80 ? or wait a bit longer ?
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5264 posts
125 upvotes
Nepean
Yes, but make sure you hold it in hand and thoroughly check it before anything.

Craigslist has these going for 800ish USED!

I wonder if that person is lying.
heatware available upon request
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12036 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
Same sensor, slightly different processing. The biggest difference would be down to build. You get a higher framerate and metering for older lenses. Your call, really...
Deal with it.
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
1 upvote
Markham/Kingston
$700 is a really good price. The D200 was probably my favorite camera. It's build quality is amazing, focusing is good, screen is great, and shoots fast. It feels and handles much better than my current Canon 30D. Unfortunately the RAW files on the D200 have a lot of noise on them once you start hitting ISO 400 and higher. But in JPEGs the noise starts getting bad at ISO 1600 under good exposure.

Compared to the D80 it has much better build quality, faster shooting rate, and easier to change some settings/buttons because they have dedicated dials and buttons instead of having to go into the menu system. Is this upgrade worth it? Probably not. Jump to the D300 or the D90. The D200 is a good camera but Nikon has some much better offerings now.
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3042 posts
21 upvotes
The D200 is a nice camera and $700 is a good price, but I'd suggest just keeping the D80 unless you've got some old AI lenses you're desperate to use or desperately want the more "pro" handling and build.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1507 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
HughG wrote:
Sep 16th, 2008 9:30 pm
Hey guys.
Is 700 for a Nikon D200 brand new int he box, but no receipt, a good deal ?
I'd be asking myself this: how is it possible that someone is selling a "brand new in the box" camera with no receipt ? Under what sort of reasonable circumstances would someone have a brand new camera, in the box, but not have a receipt ? And why is it being sold for about, or less than, what that camera would sell for if it were used ?

Neither of these things seem right. I'm thinking it's either a scam, or the camera is stolen.
Jun 18, 2005
354 posts
41 upvotes
NuggyBuggy wrote:
Sep 17th, 2008 10:29 am
I'd be asking myself this: how is it possible that someone is selling a "brand new in the box" camera with no receipt ? Under what sort of reasonable circumstances would someone have a brand new camera, in the box, but not have a receipt ? And why is it being sold for about, or less than, what that camera would sell for if it were used ?

Neither of these things seem right. I'm thinking it's either a scam, or the camera is stolen.
OR!
It fell off a truck...
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2005
2772 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
NuggyBuggy wrote:
Sep 17th, 2008 10:29 am

Make sure its a Canadian D200 or any service will cost you an arm and a leg.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12036 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
legendofxix wrote:
Sep 17th, 2008 1:56 pm
Make sure its a Canadian D200 or any service will cost you an arm and a leg.
Not really. Nikon Canada won't even touch a grey-market body from what I've seen.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
1103 posts
233 upvotes
Vancouver
the two cameras are so similar in features that i wouldn't even bother taking the risk (ie grey market, possible mechanical problems etc.).

for a "slightly" better camera, i'm not going to give up the fact that i'm the first owner, with receipt and warranty; unless i can find a sucker to pay a grotesque amount of cash for the d80.
Mar 5, 2008
187 posts
As an owner of 2 D200's, I can say that I absolutely love the camera! It's one of the sturdiest unit's I have ever used and I use them both professionally. I use them for product photography, event photography and anything else I can think of. It handles everything I throw at it without worry. I definately stay below ISO 400 (max I try to shoot is ISO 320) because it does tend to get noisy above ISO 400. It really shines when paired up with good glass and has never failed to stun.

For $700 it is definately a steal, but as mentioned earlier, you have to consider where it came from. If you are given the chance by the seller to hold it and test it out, that would be the only way I would feel comfortable dealing. I've messed around with the D80 and it's a great camera to, but I would take a D200 hands down as it's very close to a pro-grade camera. In fact, I've managed to take better shots with it than some photog's I know with D2x's (but of course that has a lot to do with the shooter).

So, in the end it all boils down to how comfortable you are with this arrangement. Good luck and happy shooting.
My Heatware: Nademon, My HWC iTrader: Nademon

ITEMS SOLD
EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB | EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB KO ACS3 Edition | P4 2.8Ghz system | Sapphire HD3870 | EK FULL COVER WATERBLOCK for 8800GTS | ATI 3870X2 w/ EK full cover block | 2 VisionTek HD4870's | 1 BBATI 3870X2 | Intel Q9550 CPU