Art and Photography

Nikon D80 - did I make a good choice? Is there a better choice for under $1000?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2008 8:05 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
6 upvotes
Markham/Kingston
Why not get a used Canon 30D? I just got one and it's great! Cheap too at $580. What you get for your money is a low-end-semi-pro camera that is speedy at 5 FPS, excellent noise handling abilities (crushes Nikon's lower end and earlier offerings).

I am a recent Nikon convert and can say that both Nikon and Canon offer their own pros and cons. Canon's have better noise handling and speed of file review, but Nikon have much better ergonomics, button placements, and software user interface.
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Mar 17, 2008
56 posts
3 upvotes
I think you made a good deal, especially you already own nikon lenses, I don't see why you should buy other than Nikon's.
There are always faster, better quality cameras, but for a thousand dollars, I think you made a great deal.
I always want a Leica M8, but it is just tooo tooo expensive, so I stick with my Canon. My own my canon for 3 years now, cameras like canon and nikon are "built for tough",
I drop my camera three times, with two different lenses. free fall to the ground from my car trunk, and me camera is still good, but my lense is a little dent. as you can see it is really built for tough. and I think Nikon is just as good as Canon or even better! BTW I really likes nikon's D3 + 24-70mm f/2.8 combo......

your nikon will last you for at least 4 years without any worry, just go out enjoy your camera, it's a nice day today! :cheesygri
sf
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
KorruptioN wrote:

Wrong on the mark-up part... not totally sure if you're joking or not. While Konica Minolta continues on as Sony, they haven't been diluted by the "style" brand that the rest of their stuff is known for. Prices are about in-line with what everybody else has to offer.

I was indeed joking about that part. As with Sony's other electronics that are non-camera related, you can often find a competitor offering the same specs if not sometimes even better for a lower price. (Remember the 1GB or 2GB chewing gum sticks Network Walkmans? They were twice the price as others on the market, used a single AAA battery. Competitors at the time were offering built in lithium-ions, bigger memory, half the price... just an example. ) It just seems anything that has a Sony name tag on it, the mark up is ridiculous.

A bit off-track in another genre, those Apple thin as hell laptops, competitor Lenovo offers the same with bigger drive, more memory, longer battery life, optical drive - but at $1200 less than Apple's offering. But I digress.

I do admit that Sony has gain some ground in the last 2 years, but still loses out in 2007 to top contenders: Nikon and Canon. Nikon notably gaining closer ground to Canon, out-selling Canons in 2007. Sony has some major catching up to do to be on the same level playing field - something that is possible within the next decade, however.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7774 posts
948 upvotes
Toronto
IMO the K20D for $999 is the best camera under $1000 brand new ;-) unless you need high FPS (Puts Pentax system flame suit on).

I expect a Pentax/Samsung FF camera within a year.

D80 is a nice camera, don't look back, have fun with it!
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13018 posts
2261 upvotes
Toronto
CSAgent wrote: I do admit that Sony has gain some ground in the last 2 years, but still loses out in 2007 to top contenders: Nikon and Canon. Nikon notably gaining closer ground to Canon, out-selling Canons in 2007. Sony has some major catching up to do to be on the same level playing field - something that is possible within the next decade, however.
Sony loves its margins like a fat kid loves cake, what can I say? This does apply to many of their products, but not all of them. Alpha body prices are fairly competitive, and lenses are usually a little bit more when compared to their Canon counterparts (most of which don't come with hoods).

In terms of the ground they've made in the past two years, I think they're ahead of Olympus. Four-Thirds really seems like a dead-end, but they are surely committed to it. Four-Thirds glass is really nice but the system as a whole is different enough to shy people away. The E-420/E-520 brothers are pretty well specified, but I think they compete more on price to get them off the shelves. I like the E-3 but that's too expensive - I'd rather get a D300.

I also think they're ahead of Pentax. While the K20D and K200D are great bodies, I feel that they (Pentax Corporation) don't have enough firepower to out-muscle the new "big three". I've heard of the FF rumours as well, but what does that do to all the nice crop-only lenses they have? They don't even have a new 70-200/2.8, instead insisting on selling a crop-only 50-135/2.8.
Deal with it.
May 8, 2007
227 posts
200 upvotes
I too bought a Nikon D80 Kit from Futureshop in Brampton on June 28. The sale price was $1049.99, however I was able to get an additional 10% off due to the Canada Day Sale they have coming up.

This is my first DSLR camera (previous camera is a Canon SD630). With the recent birth of my second child, I thought it was time for a DSLR. I am soo happy with the quality of the colours in my pics with the D80, my only concern as OP mentioned was the fact that this camera was release in 2006.

just my 2 cents.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3172 posts
142 upvotes
Mississauga
handaman wrote: I too bought a Nikon D80 Kit from Futureshop in Brampton on June 28. The sale price was $1049.99, however I was able to get an additional 10% off due to the Canada Day Sale they have coming up.

This is my first DSLR camera (previous camera is a Canon SD630). With the recent birth of my second child, I thought it was time for a DSLR. I am soo happy with the quality of the colours in my pics with the D80, my only concern as OP mentioned was the fact that this camera was release in 2006.

just my 2 cents.
It doesn't matter when it was released. From what I see from DSLR camera bodies, they stick a longer time then point and shooters. P&S camera life span is average of one year and once the new models come out, they phase all the older models out. DSLR bodies like the Canon Rebel XT is till around and is still considered. I wouldn't be too concerned of when the camera was released. Just learn and love your camera and shoot lots of pictures.
Dec 31, 1969
How about a Sigma SD14 and Sigma 70mm f2.8 DG Macro?

It depends on what you enjoy photographing though. I prefer to stick with prime lenses myself and haven't had a zoom lens on a SLR body for a LONG time.

Body for $549US, lens for $399US from Cameta Camera... It would run you a little more once you calculate in taxes and delivery.

The image quality from the combo can't be touched by anything else for $1000, pretty hard to beat it for $2000 even.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13018 posts
2261 upvotes
Toronto
selpats wrote: How about a Sigma SD14 and Sigma 70mm f2.8 DG Macro?
Cheap, but much steeper learning curve, IMO. It takes some skill to get the most out of that Foveon sensor.
Deal with it.
Dec 31, 1969
KorruptioN wrote: Cheap, but much steeper learning curve, IMO. It takes some skill to get the most out of that Foveon sensor.
This is true but if image quality is what is most important to the photographer, than taking the time to make the camera shine is worth it.

That said the D80 is a very capable camera.

Sigma SD14 | Sigma 70mm Macro | 1/250th @ f6.3, -1/3 | ISO100 | Custom WB w/CBL
[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3259/262 ... d918_o.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13018 posts
2261 upvotes
Toronto
Do you have an SD14, selpats?
Deal with it.
Dec 31, 1969
KorruptioN wrote: Do you have an SD14, selpats?
I sure do, that's why I posted a photo of mine and the capture details above.

I have owned the D80, that and about $40K worth of other cameras/lenses/related equipment as well...

I have had some very nice high end cameras and can confidently say that they SD14 has the best IQ of them all. It is a great camera for fine art photography, portraiture, landscapes etc. For action photography I would be looking elsewhere.
Dec 25, 2007
122 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks to everyone who have replied to my post.

I weighed out my options and began to get buyer's regret when it came to Future Shop's extended warranty. I realized the futility of paying for a four year warranty since D80's body is already covered by Nikon for the first two.

As a result, I returned the item to Future Shop (and warranty) and instead, purchased from Golden Electronics. The manager wouldn't go any lower than FS's $949 price after pointing out (on the FS receipt) that I had been given a package deal for my purchase when I bought the extended warranty. But it was still a good deal and I managed to save myself a couple of hundred $$$ this way. :cheesygri

So, thanks to those who mentioned Golden Electronics and for everyone's advice and opinions. I'm committed to the D80 now, and I can relax. A special thanks to those who advised me to just get out there and take some pictures. I will certainly take the time to get better acquainted with my new camera.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5264 posts
125 upvotes
Nepean
sfu_engineer wrote: Why not get a used Canon 30D? I just got one and it's great! Cheap too at $580. What you get for your money is a low-end-semi-pro camera that is speedy at 5 FPS, excellent noise handling abilities (crushes Nikon's lower end and earlier offerings).

I am a recent Nikon convert and can say that both Nikon and Canon offer their own pros and cons. Canon's have better noise handling and speed of file review, but Nikon have much better ergonomics, button placements, and software user interface.
OHH thats why you sold everything! Haha great choice, the 30D is an excellent camera.
heatware available upon request
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5264 posts
125 upvotes
Nepean
Inspector Gadget wrote: Thanks to everyone who have replied to my post.

I weighed out my options and began to get buyer's regret when it came to Future Shop's extended warranty. I realized the futility of paying for a four year warranty since D80's body is already covered by Nikon for the first two.

As a result, I returned the item to Future Shop (and warranty) and instead, purchased from Golden Electronics. The manager wouldn't go any lower than FS's $949 price after pointing out (on the FS receipt) that I had been given a package deal for my purchase when I bought the extended warranty. But it was still a good deal and I managed to save myself a couple of hundred $$$ this way. :cheesygri

So, thanks to those who mentioned Golden Electronics and for everyone's advice and opinions. I'm committed to the D80 now, and I can relax. A special thanks to those who advised me to just get out there and take some pictures. I will certainly take the time to get better acquainted with my new camera.
Good choice going with Golden Electronics, they have great prices.
heatware available upon request

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)