Art and Photography

Nikon D80 - did I make a good choice? Is there a better choice for under $1000?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2008 8:05 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12046 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto
Do you have an SD14, selpats?
Deal with it.
Dec 31, 1969
KorruptioN wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2008 12:07 am
Do you have an SD14, selpats?
I sure do, that's why I posted a photo of mine and the capture details above.

I have owned the D80, that and about $40K worth of other cameras/lenses/related equipment as well...

I have had some very nice high end cameras and can confidently say that they SD14 has the best IQ of them all. It is a great camera for fine art photography, portraiture, landscapes etc. For action photography I would be looking elsewhere.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2007
121 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks to everyone who have replied to my post.

I weighed out my options and began to get buyer's regret when it came to Future Shop's extended warranty. I realized the futility of paying for a four year warranty since D80's body is already covered by Nikon for the first two.

As a result, I returned the item to Future Shop (and warranty) and instead, purchased from Golden Electronics. The manager wouldn't go any lower than FS's $949 price after pointing out (on the FS receipt) that I had been given a package deal for my purchase when I bought the extended warranty. But it was still a good deal and I managed to save myself a couple of hundred $$$ this way. :cheesygri

So, thanks to those who mentioned Golden Electronics and for everyone's advice and opinions. I'm committed to the D80 now, and I can relax. A special thanks to those who advised me to just get out there and take some pictures. I will certainly take the time to get better acquainted with my new camera.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5264 posts
125 upvotes
Nepean
sfu_engineer wrote:
Jun 28th, 2008 9:13 pm
Why not get a used Canon 30D? I just got one and it's great! Cheap too at $580. What you get for your money is a low-end-semi-pro camera that is speedy at 5 FPS, excellent noise handling abilities (crushes Nikon's lower end and earlier offerings).

I am a recent Nikon convert and can say that both Nikon and Canon offer their own pros and cons. Canon's have better noise handling and speed of file review, but Nikon have much better ergonomics, button placements, and software user interface.
OHH thats why you sold everything! Haha great choice, the 30D is an excellent camera.
heatware available upon request
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5264 posts
125 upvotes
Nepean
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2008 8:00 pm
Thanks to everyone who have replied to my post.

I weighed out my options and began to get buyer's regret when it came to Future Shop's extended warranty. I realized the futility of paying for a four year warranty since D80's body is already covered by Nikon for the first two.

As a result, I returned the item to Future Shop (and warranty) and instead, purchased from Golden Electronics. The manager wouldn't go any lower than FS's $949 price after pointing out (on the FS receipt) that I had been given a package deal for my purchase when I bought the extended warranty. But it was still a good deal and I managed to save myself a couple of hundred $$$ this way. :cheesygri

So, thanks to those who mentioned Golden Electronics and for everyone's advice and opinions. I'm committed to the D80 now, and I can relax. A special thanks to those who advised me to just get out there and take some pictures. I will certainly take the time to get better acquainted with my new camera.
Good choice going with Golden Electronics, they have great prices.
heatware available upon request