Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 26, 2007
353 posts
39 upvotes

Nikon D90/General Video Question

Is this true? found it on a review 5 minutes of hd wow that sucks:

In HD mode (720p/24fps in an .avi file) the D90 can only record a maximum of 5 minutes, otherwise the CMOS sensor will overheat. Standard definition will let you roll for 20 minutes. Right off the bat, it’s no replacement for a regular HD camcorder for most uses.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9127 posts
261 upvotes
Yes this is true.

Keep in mind that this camera was introduced late August 2008, almost a year and a half ago...

There is no autofocus with videos recording either, and the camera goes into auto exposure mode which also makes the videos darker and brighter and darker and brighter... I believe you can use an AI-s lens and it'll solve that problem, but don't quote me on it..
it's me ramin.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2003
2088 posts
19 upvotes
Remember though the d90 is the first dslr to shoot hd video so it has the pitfalls of being the first and other models and competition have learned from these downsides since it has come out. Plus doesn't the d90 video recording suffers from the wobble effect when you move the camera side to side too much the video skews to the movement.

Really though if you really want to shoot HD then your better off getting an actual HD cam. Having it on a DSLR is cool but it has its limitations so use it accordingly. I've seen some cool short films using the d90 so its not total junk, you just have to shoot things properly. Obviously the nikon video stuff is way behind the Canon stuff and there are some amazing short films shot on the 5dmk2 and the 7d which look excellent. As for the shoot time limitation ya it can be a drag if your filming something long likle someones recital but its fine if you want to make a film because in reality, movies are slab of short cuts edited into one piece.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
731 upvotes
kukkudo wrote:
Nov 29th, 2009 5:52 am
Is this true? found it on a review 5 minutes of hd wow that sucks:

In HD mode (720p/24fps in an .avi file) the D90 can only record a maximum of 5 minutes, otherwise the CMOS sensor will overheat. Standard definition will let you roll for 20 minutes. Right off the bat, it’s no replacement for a regular HD camcorder for most uses.
The 5 minutes was a result of only producing one camera for world wide production (unlike Cannon etc). As a result European regulations would class anything longer as a video camera and tax it differently.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21297 posts
2126 upvotes
Is this thread necessary? I mean a 10 second Google search would reveal the answer.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
731 upvotes
Kasakato wrote:
Nov 29th, 2009 11:23 am
Is this thread necessary? I mean a 10 second Google search would reveal the answer.
yes..but isn't that true about many many posts on RFD....
Oct 23, 2004
781 posts
B0000rt wrote:
Nov 29th, 2009 7:45 am
Yes this is true.

Keep in mind that this camera was introduced late August 2008, almost a year and a half ago...

There is no autofocus with videos recording either, and the camera goes into auto exposure mode which also makes the videos darker and brighter and darker and brighter... I believe you can use an AI-s lens and it'll solve that problem, but don't quote me on it..
pretty sure exposure lock works, so meter it once, set the exposure lock on (button to the right of the viewfinder) and record.