Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7958 posts
1045 upvotes
JHW wrote:
Nov 25th, 2009 9:20 am
Does anyone know if / when / what Nikon has planned as a follow-on to the D90? I would be interested in getting one once a new model is out and the D90 prices on the used market have loosened up a bit (just as the D80 has).
Nikon updates that line range every 2 years...

D70 - 2004
D80 - Aug 2006
D90 - Aug 2008

If you follow that pattern, Aug 2010 will most likely be when Nikon releases the successor to the D90. It will likely be a Dx000 series although they might cop out and do a refresher (i.e. D90s or D90x).
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
With D90, they're going to hit a corner, lol
They can call it D90x of course, but what if it's much better than just a refresh.
They can't call it D100.

IMHO, they should have went like this from the begining:

Dx is for professional bodies. Crop or full frame
Dxx is for prosumer bodies a.k.a. D200 D300 D300s
Dxxx is for consumer market a.k.a. D60 D70 D80 D90 etc
Dxxxx for entry level bodies like D3000 and D5000.

Stuff would be easier.
Not that it's hard or anything the way it is right now, but I must admit it confuses older folks and newbies why D5000 is beat by D90 (thinking less zeros is better) but then D90 is beat by D300.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9127 posts
261 upvotes
Lulz wrote:
Nov 25th, 2009 1:24 pm
With D90, they're going to hit a corner, lol
They can call it D90x of course, but what if it's much better than just a refresh.
They can't call it D100.

IMHO, they should have went like this from the begining:

Dx is for professional bodies. Crop or full frame
Dxx is for prosumer bodies a.k.a. D200 D300 D300s
Dxxx is for consumer market a.k.a. D60 D70 D80 D90 etc
Dxxxx for entry level bodies like D3000 and D5000.

Stuff would be easier.
Not that it's hard or anything the way it is right now, but I must admit it confuses older folks and newbies why D5000 is beat by D90 (thinking less zeros is better) but then D90 is beat by D300.
There's another digit you know D9x ;)

They could go and mess up the naming scheme, with what Canon did to their Powershot cameras... heh

You flipped your post, but we get it ;)

1 digit for Pro
2 digits for prosumers
3 digits for consumers
4 digits for entry
it's me ramin.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1950 posts
5 upvotes
I will recommend the opposite of what everyone else is recommending.
Get the D80.

Sure a Lexus is better then a Kia in every respect, but that does not mean that the Kia is not valuable or practical to some people.

If you're pressed for cash, buy what you can afford (in your case the D80).
Afterall, the SLR mentallity has always been to invest in glass, not the body.
You can always upgrade next year. And since it sounds like this is your wive's first DSLR, even the D80 will be a lot of camera for her to get used to.

There were great pictures taken with D80s back in it's day. Just because the D90 has more features, better ISO performance doesn't mean the D80 can's produce great images.
Aug 27, 2009
319 posts
3 upvotes
TO
I have to disagree with a few things you said.
Outsider wrote:
Nov 30th, 2009 2:49 pm
Sure a Lexus is better then a Kia in every respect, but that does not mean that the Kia is not valuable or practical to some people.
For the car analogy, the D90 is the successor to the D80, so I think the better car analogy would be comparing the Lexus IS 300 vs Lexus IS 350. Same line but newer with new features lacking from the previous model.

Outsider wrote:
If you're pressed for cash, buy what you can afford (in your case the D80).
Afterall, the SLR mentallity has always been to invest in glass, not the body.
You can always upgrade next year. And since it sounds like this is your wive's first DSLR, even the D80 will be a lot of camera for her to get used to.
First DSLR but I think he said she had a SLR (Nikon F65/N65) which might prove that it might not be as much of a hurdle for her.
Outsider wrote:
There were great pictures taken with D80s back in it's day. Just because the D90 has more features, better ISO performance doesn't mean the D80 can's produce great images.
Sure the D80 can produce great image, so does the D40, I saw tons of them on flickr. Overall they can create beautiful images. I don't think people here are debating that the D80 can or cannot produce beautiful pictures (compared to the D90) but they are saying is that some major little things (better ISO performance, video capability, etc...) and some minor little things (bigger lcd, motor drive, live view, etc...) makes it worth to get the newer D90.

note: major and minor little things are interchangeable, depends on which one you consider major or minor. :cheesygri