None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA

Nikon USA warranty (transfer?)

I am looking to buy a D80 body. I saw one on [rfdlink=63]eBay[/rfdlink] and the seller said it is a Nikon USA body (I live in the US now, btw), and the registration card is unfilled. It is brand new according to him.

My question is, if I were to buy it from him, will I be able to get the warranty since the the camera has never been registered for warranty purpose? I know that Nikon is very picky about warranty stuff and the warranty is not transferable to new owner once it's registered. I would like to make sure I can get the warranty before making the call on this one.

I asked the seller but he isn't sure either.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3042 posts
21 upvotes
Nikon Canada won't touch a USA warrantied camera.. sorry.

My D80 came used from the states and it's been ok so far.. just make sure it's in good condition.
Sep 30, 2001
27600 posts
6715 upvotes
Toronto
not only that, but even nikons purchased in canada are not transferable (i.e if you sell it down the road). i think henry's has a system in place to do so (if you purchased from them) but they seem to be the exception.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2004
2288 posts
Heh I see no one actually read the question. OP lives in the US!

I'd be curious about this too. Anyone?
kuqdew wrote:
Jan 31st, 2008 11:24 am
And FYI, I make pretty good marks in school and is in the gifted class.
Feb 11, 2008
55 posts
ontario
It would depend on if the Camera was ever registered and whether the reciept has a name on it. A reciept would be necessary for warranty work, and if it doesn't have your name on it that might be a problem. You could say it was a gift if it has the sellers name on it, but no guarantees there!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
drucillica wrote:
Jul 20th, 2008 12:39 pm
Heh I see no one actually read the question. OP lives in the US!

I'd be curious about this too. Anyone?
Thank you. ;)

Yes, I do live in the US now and will stay in the US for the next little while. I do know that Nikon Canada and Nikon USA warranty are essentially seperate entities; and that they don't transfer owner even if they are from the same country....

Just confirmed with the seller. It was a gift to him, brand new. The warranty card is unfilled, but he doesn't have a receipt. Based on the info, I guess I won't be getting the warranty due to the lack of receipt?
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2005
2774 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
NDman wrote:
Jul 20th, 2008 1:58 pm
Thank you. ;)

Yes, I do live in the US now and will stay in the US for the next little while. I do know that Nikon Canada and Nikon USA warranty are essentially seperate entities; and that they don't transfer owner even if they are from the same country....

Just confirmed with the seller. It was a gift to him, brand new. The warranty card is unfilled, but he doesn't have a receipt. Based on the info, I guess I won't be getting the warranty due to the lack of receipt?
You hit it right on the nose there.
Wouldn't be worth buying without the warranty imo.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12056 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
I think you'd still need an original reciept.
Deal with it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
Thanks for the replies. Due to the weekend, I couldn't reach Nikon but I did leave them an email. Hopefully they'll get back to me within the next couple of days.

I've bought a variety of lenses, new and used, on eBay. But for digital body, I prefer to have a legit warranty on it. I'll just wait for my other chance if this one falls through
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
1 upvote
Markham/Kingston
NDman wrote:
Jul 21st, 2008 12:25 am
Thanks for the replies. Due to the weekend, I couldn't reach Nikon but I did leave them an email. Hopefully they'll get back to me within the next couple of days.

I've bought a variety of lenses, new and used, on eBay. But for digital body, I prefer to have a legit warranty on it. I'll just wait for my other chance if this one falls through
I've owned many DSLR's (Nikon D70s, D1x, D200 and a Canon 30D). None have ever failed on me or have required any repair service. I use my gear a lot and I wouldn't consider myself to be the gentlest with my gear.

I buy all my camera equipment used as the used marketplace allows you to save so much more money especially with the high prices of camera equipment in Canada. Warranty has never been a problem for me as my cameras have never required service.

Hopefully your camera's will last just as long and you won't run into any problems either. ;-)
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
3509 posts
1060 upvotes
I got my D70 from the states and unfortunately, the shutter died on me after the warranty was up.

Took it to Nikon Canada, and regardless of whether it was on warranty or not, they would not take it to fix (and I was willing to pay to have it fixed). You had to send it back to the US to have it fixed.

I ended up taking it to a local camera repair shop to have it fixed. $230 to repair. Not cool for a camera that probably isn't worth much more than $500 now.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
Just an update. I opted not to bid on the item because of the warranty. I've been a Nikon guy for years. never had any problem with the bodies I owned. As oppose to the lenses, there's a lot more electronics involved and I'd much rather get a peace of mind. Especially that Nikon doesn't touch anything that is not bought in the same country, too. Thanks for the help all
Deal Addict
May 20, 2008
1886 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
For Camera, anything outside of Canada is considered Gray Market. You need to send your camera in to Nikon USA for warranty. It's really not a problem to send it to the states.

As for lenses, almost all Nikon lenses come with 1 year international warranty. Any other extended warranty that comes with the lens will have to be claimed from the country where you bought it from.

During my last annual maintenance/check up. I sent Nikon my Local D200, USA 50mm 1.8, Hong Kong 85mm 1.4. They were all checked and returned to me without charges. All within 1st year of warranty coverage.