Tags:
None
[OP]
May 22, 2006
768 posts
23 upvotes

Nikon vs Canon

Hi RDFers,
i am planning to buy a digital camera with 8MP. I've seen the quality picture for the SOny DSC-T70 yet not to satisfied with the result as "sometimes" it gives the quality of cellphone pic!

I havent seen the picture result from canon and Nikon and i heard many people said those 2 are good.

Just asking opinions from all photographers, which camera gives better picture quality? Nikon or Canon. PPssstt if anyone thinks the SOny DSCt70 is a great cam, argue abt it!! :D :D im totally in love with the style but if they give cellphone quality then it's a no no.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2850 posts
124 upvotes
Markham
This is really the broadest and most ineffective type of question you can ask. Honestly, it's asking which car is better Japanese or North American. There are so many different models and classes of cameras.

Maybe help us out by choosing a price range. Or what you want to photograph. And maybe your style of shooting. Personally I stay as far away from Sony P&S. Although they may look smaller and more "chic" I personally find the mem stick issue a deal breaker, plus I am no really in love with the picture quality at all.
[OP]
May 22, 2006
768 posts
23 upvotes
Hm.. so my eyes were right! Sony pic quality is bad huh!

i never seen any quality pic from Canon and Nikon that's why~ I usually take pics of human... well just for vacation. I love rich colours. Plus taking pic of ballerina since my sis attends a lot of concert. So basicly i love camera that gives rich colours and non blur!! uw i hate that blurry pic.
[OP]
May 22, 2006
768 posts
23 upvotes
btw does anyone have sample from the Nikon coolpix camera? any 6-12MP are welcome :D just want to know if they are dang good ^^ cux after Sony, i think their style is the second best.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11991 posts
1488 upvotes
Kanata
rongsokan wrote:
May 4th, 2008 7:06 pm
Hm.. so my eyes were right! Sony pic quality is bad huh!

i never seen any quality pic from Canon and Nikon that's why~ I usually take pics of human... well just for vacation. I love rich colours. Plus taking pic of ballerina since my sis attends a lot of concert. So basicly i love camera that gives rich colours and non blur!! uw i hate that blurry pic.
Not bad all the time but you have to understand the tool to understand why you get the results you get.

Concert settings are really no place for a point and shoot. Bad lighting, combined with distance, makes for a really tough time for even a DSLR with a kit lens.

You also have to understand why you are getting blurry pictures. It could very well be you shaking that is causing this (among other things) but unless you can provide a picture, it's hard where to understand what went wrong.
Apr 1, 2008
163 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
I agree, it depends on what kind of photography you want to do or are interested in doing.

Don't just go for how the camera looks (style and all), but the image quality of course. Either Nikon or Canon will have great cameras - you can't go wrong with either.

If you like to compare cameras or read up on reviews, then go to this site:

http://dpreview.com/

for side-by-side feature comparison:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

Have fun.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12046 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto
If Nikon, Canon, and Sony all use Sony sensors and more-or-less similar processing, who's fault is it when the users aren't using the cameras properly? If your little T70 provides "cellphone quality" (have you seen the Nokia N95?) pictures sometimes, what makes you think switching brands will magically make the problem disappear?
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
1213 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Nikon all the way especially if you are taking low light setting.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12046 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto
cutesnoopydoll wrote:
Jun 20th, 2008 11:52 am
What a broad generalization :rolleyes:
Deal with it.
Jul 19, 2003
731 posts
4 upvotes
you need to ask yourself some questions or else this thread is useless

1. price range
2. whats important
3. how far into photography do you think your going to go
don't forget to neuter your pet
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2001
2823 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
cutesnoopydoll wrote:
Jun 20th, 2008 11:52 am
I'm not sure about regular digicams but it's quite the opposite in the DSLR series. (with on exception)
Hi5exposure Photography
http://www.hi5exposure.com
Banned
Jun 11, 2008
598 posts
Toronto
The sad news is that no point and shoot camera regardless of brand will allow you to take good pictures in a concert/auditorium setting unless you are a few meters away from the performer. If not, no camera will suit your needs unless you go the DSLR route with a very fast (low F-stop) lens that offers in-lens image stabilization.

I have taken many pictures of concert, convocation etc with the Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III and canon's L-series lens that has an aperture of 2.8. Even under those conditions, i have to use a minimum ISO of 800 to achieve good pictures.

The SOny DSCt70 will not give you good image quality because of the following reason:
1) Small lens (ineffective at collecting light)
2) Small CCD Sensor with crammed pixel = high noise and low performance in low light situation. I believe DPreview said that camera has noise even at the lowest ISO setting.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2003
3198 posts
61 upvotes
Kitchener - Waterloo
Both Nikon and Canon are good. Go play around with a few dSLR that you may think you may like and see how they handle and perform.

Pentax cameras are awesome too! Try them - there are people that have gone the Pentax way because of nice bodies, weather sealing, and very good lenses and low prices vs. Nikon/Canon.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3042 posts
21 upvotes
Sl300 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2008 1:33 pm
you need to ask yourself some questions or else this thread is useless

1. price range
2. whats important
3. how far into photography do you think your going to go
More importantly, you need to ask yourself: "Have I used the forum search button" or "what's Google?"

Sorry, not enough coffee today. Just do a search - this topic has been covered a thousand times.