• Nov 9th, 2017 1:06 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1507 posts
293 upvotes
Kitchener

Nintendo 3ds XL

I know that this system is older and has been on the market for a while. My kids are 8 and 5 and they have been loving playing with my old original DS. Over the last 4 months they have been playing more and more so I was thinking for Christmas that I would by the, each a 3ds xl. Does anyone know whether this system is going to be supported for a while still? I don't need the newest and best but I just don't want to spend 500 bucks on two of them and then find out that a new handheld system is coming out. Any other recommendations?
13 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25426 posts
2759 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
The library is huge. Even if a new system replaces it, who cares?

I think the Switch is the new hand held.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1507 posts
293 upvotes
Kitchener
Anyone have any feedback on the refurbs at eb games? or should I just buy new?
Jul 9, 2015
52 posts
4 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
You should buy the New 2ds xl, as it is cheaper and comes with a charger. If you have a Costco membership, they sell it for $200 (retail price) but they include a download code for super Mario 3d land. Another option would be to go to shopper's drug mart on a 20x points day, and buy them there (hoping they have 2 in stock) which gives 80k points (95k = 1$170). I did that for one new 2ds xl, got me about $60 in points.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1507 posts
293 upvotes
Kitchener
I have a charger from my old DS that should work plus I think the charger is only 10 bucks on ebay. Thanks for the tip on shoppers, I never would have considered going there.
Jul 9, 2015
52 posts
4 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
Did you have a DS or 3ds? The chargers aren't the same. Also for almost the same price after points ($150 refurbished 3ds or $170 refurbished New 3ds xl), I would recommend the new 2ds. It has a full warranty, it is lighter, faster than the original 3ds, can play snes virtual console, and some new games are smoother on it. Ebgames refurbished are a hit or miss. I have seen people trade in their old beat up consoles when they were having problems, and each time I traded in a console or game, they never tried them to see if it works.
Jan 22, 2017
83 posts
265 upvotes
Get the original 2ds. Plays almost all 3ds games (save for games like FE warriors/Xenoblade Chronicles). No 3D support but if it's primarily used to play the original DS library it shouldn't matter. You get an analogue stick and they are built tough which is good for kids who can be hard on electronics. Best part is you can get a pair with chargers (that come bundled in) for $250. If you can wait for black friday they have a Hyrule Green edition coming out with a Zelda game download code. All of them are basically the same besides the color/specific game download when you buy them new.

https://www.amazon.ca/Nintendo-2DS-Scar ... ds+console
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1507 posts
293 upvotes
Kitchener
CrazyCatMan wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 1:01 pm
Get the original 2ds. Plays almost all 3ds games (save for games like FE warriors/Xenoblade Chronicles). No 3D support but if it's primarily used to play the original DS library it shouldn't matter. You get an analogue stick and they are built tough which is good for kids who can be hard on electronics. Best part is you can get a pair with chargers (that come bundled in) for $250. If you can wait for black friday they have a Hyrule Green edition coming out with a Zelda game download code. All of them are basically the same besides the color/specific game download when you buy them new.

https://www.amazon.ca/Nintendo-2DS-Scar ... ds+console
I think I may go with the 2DSxl rather than the 3dsxl. While the 2ds is cheaper the screen size is a lot smaller and although these are for my kids, I know that I'll be playing Mario kart on them myself and my eyes aren't what they use to be, lol ;) I'm going to wait for black Friday and see what the prices are like. Any idea what the lowest price on a 2dsxl would have been? Just to get a gauge of what a decent price would be? I'm assuming since the regular price is $199, its probably never been cheaper than 179 or 169.
Jul 9, 2015
52 posts
4 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
I have never seen it on sale, the best I have seen is shopper's drug mart with 20x the points, followed by Costco ($200 and includes super Mario 3d land) or thesource (with the $25 off coupon for the newsletter). But there could be a bundle on black Friday.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3693 posts
417 upvotes
peelhic wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 2:25 pm
Any idea what the lowest price on a 2dsxl would have been? Just to get a gauge of what a decent price would be?
The New 2DS XL is $200 regular price. That itself is a good deal, and even more so if you buy it from Costco which throws in Super Mario 3D Land for free. The 3DS XL is $230 regular price.

I *think* during Black Friday last year the 3DS XL was $150. It's probably better to buy one during Black Friday than waiting until closer to Christmas.
Jun 3, 2005
968 posts
80 upvotes
I’d get the 2DS XL...for the simple reason that it doesn’t have 3D that is not recommended for kids 7 or 8 and under...
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1256 posts
289 upvotes
mississauga
I'd go second hand, those things are built like tanks.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27041 posts
1730 upvotes
Winnipeg
tubs wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:48 pm
I’d get the 2DS XL...for the simple reason that it doesn’t have 3D that is not recommended for kids 7 or 8 and under...
3d is not for everyone, im okay with the 3d on 3ds but not the 3d in vr, get dizzy quick.
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Nov 21, 2015
224 posts
57 upvotes
Port Coquitlam, BC
2DS XL is $160 at Shoppers with senior discount OP. Just take someone over 55 with you on Thursday. Cash in points if you have them and you can walk out of the store with one for like $25. Not worth spending the extra for the 3DS for young kids as 3D can be an issue for them sometimes. FYI the charger is the same if you have a DSi but not any DS before that.