Nintendo NX - The Next Generation Nintendo Console - Discussion Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2016 9:14 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2210 posts
696 upvotes
Edmonton
The best thing Nintendo could do right now is come out with a PS4 analog (power wise) that plays Wii U games. Nintendo has 1st party games that are arguably better than Sony or Microsoft and that alone would give them the edge.

The people who grew up with Nintendo are gamers and they want powerful systems with awesome 3rd party support.

The people that Nintendo traditionally goes after (kids & casuals) have moved on to tablets and mobile games.
Banned
Dec 17, 2012
2084 posts
277 upvotes
TORONTO
Andrew765 wrote: The best thing Nintendo could do right now is come out with a PS4 analog (power wise) that plays Wii U games. Nintendo has 1st party games that are arguably better than Sony or Microsoft and that alone would give them the edge.

The people who grew up with Nintendo are gamers and they want powerful systems with awesome 3rd party support.

The people that Nintendo traditionally goes after (kids & casuals) have moved on to tablets and mobile games.
I'm not sure you can say something like that, as every consoles exclusive are aimed at different audiences. I have some friends who would never touch a cartoony Smash or Mario game while others who only play those games. I wouldn't play Mario Kart over Forza or GT myself, but again.. different games. The only thing you can sure for sure is Nintendo makes some great games. As does Sony, and some think Microsoft does as well. (Not a Gears or Halo guy myself)

I do agree with the rest of your post, and you make a very good point.

I know it'd never happen, but I'd love to see Nintendo step out of home consoles, and own the handheld market, along with putting out games on PC/Sony/MS consoles if the NX is a fail. They could be the best developer, hands down. But I don't think they could ever make more money than they'd spend in the console field again.

Don't be mad Nintendo fanboys of the forum, just my opinion and maybe I'm wrong.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2210 posts
696 upvotes
Edmonton
Hiitsdj wrote: I'm not sure you can say something like that, as every consoles exclusive are aimed at different audiences. I have some friends who would never touch a cartoony Smash or Mario game while others who only play those games. I wouldn't play Mario Kart over Forza or GT myself, but again.. different games. The only thing you can sure for sure is Nintendo makes some great games. As does Sony, and some think Microsoft does as well. (Not a Gears or Halo guy myself)

I do agree with the rest of your post, and you make a very good point.

I know it'd never happen, but I'd love to see Nintendo step out of home consoles, and own the handheld market, along with putting out games on PC/Sony/MS consoles if the NX is a fail. They could be the best developer, hands down. But I don't think they could ever make more money than they'd spend in the console field again.

Don't be mad Nintendo fanboys of the forum, just my opinion and maybe I'm wrong.
Well I did say "arguably" :D ...

But they were the highest rated major publisher in 2014: http://www.metacritic.com/feature/game- ... 4-releases

Sony was 4th, Microsoft was 6th.

But my main argument is: Nintendo makes strong enough software that they don't need to rely on hardware "gimmicks" to compete with Sony or Microsoft.

The gimmick didn't sell the Wii, accessibility sold it. But Nintendo can't compete with the accessibility of Tablets and Mobile games ... which is maybe why they're joining in.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10963 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
Andrew765 wrote: The gimmick didn't sell the Wii, accessibility sold it. But Nintendo can't compete with the accessibility of Tablets and Mobile games ... which is maybe why they're joining in.
Definitely the 'gimmick' sold the Wii. Although, that gimmick was representative of accessibility. That's why Nintendo sits in this niche now. It loss that market and also the gamer market (that aren't Nintendo fans).

Although Nintendo has the highest rated games, with my current experiences I can confidently say i had much more fun playing games like Uncharted, etc over anything Nintendo has produced for the Wii or Wii U. I don't know if its age or whether I have seen too many Mario Kart's, Mario World's etc, that its kind of wearing thin on me.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
514 upvotes
GVR
Andrew765 wrote: The best thing Nintendo could do right now is come out with a PS4 analog (power wise) that plays Wii U games. Nintendo has 1st party games that are arguably better than Sony or Microsoft and that alone would give them the edge.

It's not just about being on the same level in terms of power, Nintendo needs to be on the same level as the competition when it comes to their online infrastructure.
Nintendo's marketing has also been a complete disaster this generation.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
All We Know About The Nintendo NX:

~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6908 posts
3333 upvotes
Canada
What I know is that it will release at $299 and it will be slightly less powerful than an Xbone.

Thank me if ya with me!
Banned
Dec 24, 2014
3 posts
1 upvote
Sarnia, ON
They lost me when it was said that is expected to run off Android. Sorry Nintendo but I have no interest in something like that,
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2653 posts
443 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
LetsMakeADeal2015 wrote: They lost me when it was said that is expected to run off Android. Sorry Nintendo but I have no interest in something like that,
Those reports are confirmed to be false. But way to do your research before posting! Good on ya. :facepalm:
Feb 6, 2014
440 posts
29 upvotes
This is SOOOOO easy Nintendo:

Console: Slightly better specs than XBOne/PS4, but CRANK the RAM to as much as they can possibly afford per console, 1TB storage minimum, online-downloadable content through their store. Standard controller with some fancy spatial plotting features. No second screen controllers, no wasted money, just give us an awesome high end console with standard programming tools on standard chipsets that developers want to program for.

Price-point: $299 or $399 with a bunch of extras (games or extra controllers, etc)

Party up with Blizzard/EA for an open world MMORPG (see below). Partner with Activision for an online Call of Duty game set in the Mario universe.

Release the game alongside:
Hyrule Online - massive open world MMORPG similar to WOW.
Super Smash Brothers Melee NXtreme - port of last game with more characters and enhanced graphics.
Pokemon World Online - huge adventure/trading game with synch to mobile device apps and support for Miibo.
Mario World NX - huge, expansive online Mario game - pay-per-level upgrades.
Monster Hunter NX - Monster Hunter port with enhanced graphics.
Mario Kart NX - the Mario equivalent of Gran Turismo with online purchasable options.
Metroid Universe NX - Online expansive side-scrolling old-school Metroid game.

Monetize all the things!

There! Nintendo saved. Next!
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2653 posts
443 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Troutmagneto wrote: This is SOOOOO easy Nintendo:

Console: Slightly better specs than XBOne/PS4, but CRANK the RAM to as much as they can possibly afford per console, 1TB storage minimum, online-downloadable content through their store. Standard controller with some fancy spatial plotting features. No second screen controllers, no wasted money, just give us an awesome high end console with standard programming tools on standard chipsets that developers want to program for.

Price-point: $299 or $399 with a bunch of extras (games or extra controllers, etc)

Party up with Blizzard/EA for an open world MMORPG (see below). Partner with Activision for an online Call of Duty game set in the Mario universe.

Release the game alongside:
Hyrule Online - massive open world MMORPG similar to WOW.
Super Smash Brothers Melee NXtreme - port of last game with more characters and enhanced graphics.
Pokemon World Online - huge adventure/trading game with synch to mobile device apps and support for Miibo.
Mario World NX - huge, expansive online Mario game - pay-per-level upgrades.
Monster Hunter NX - Monster Hunter port with enhanced graphics.
Mario Kart NX - the Mario equivalent of Gran Turismo with online purchasable options.
Metroid Universe NX - Online expansive side-scrolling old-school Metroid game.

Monetize all the things!

There! Nintendo saved. Next!
You had me up to the last part. There is no recipe for savior. If it was there, don't you think they would be doing it?
Feb 6, 2014
440 posts
29 upvotes
cyphon21 wrote: You had me up to the last part. There is no recipe for savior. If it was there, don't you think they would be doing it?
Yeah, but at every turn it always seem like they've squandered their licenses and opportunities. Now it's almost like it's too late. Thankfully the original Wii and their handheld division stockpiled their coffers slightly, but if they get the next one wrong? I don't know, man...
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for innovation. God only knows this industry needs to find a new way to innovate, and they do try different things, but they always seem to miss the mark and bring out hardware that have far too many gimmicky features with no longevity.
I think it's time they just did away with all of the gimmicks and produced a down-to-earth console - with optional gimmicks - but one catering to the entire demographic of gamers.
I mean, come on... look at that list above - ANYONE could have come up with that list - anyone! It's a dead cert. EVERY hardcore gamer has a little part of their heart hoping that Nintendo makes a comeback in the future. And I'll bet that every one of those gamers would play one of those titles in the list I came up with if it was done right.

But they've never done it right. And that's what I'm getting at. We all know what we want, but they've never delivered, and it's so bleeding obvious.

And as for the saviour reference. I think if they don't get the next one right, they're done as a console dev. They'll switch to software-only like Sega. That's what I meant by 'saving' them. I'm not saying they'll go under, they'll just stop producing hardware, which, to me, is a sad, sad day...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Troutmagneto wrote: I think if they don't get the next one right, they're done as a console dev. They'll switch to software-only like Sega..
Lol people have been making this bogus claim since the Gamecube

Here's what I think. I think there's absolutely no point in throwing out wild speculation over a device that's like likely at least 18-24 months away from launching while no facts worth discussing exist. I'll wait for actual valid information and facts before I comment on whatever this thing even is
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2653 posts
443 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Troutmagneto wrote: Yeah, but at every turn it always seem like they've squandered their licenses and opportunities. Now it's almost like it's too late. Thankfully the original Wii and their handheld division stockpiled their coffers slightly, but if they get the next one wrong? I don't know, man...
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for innovation. God only knows this industry needs to find a new way to innovate, and they do try different things, but they always seem to miss the mark and bring out hardware that have far too many gimmicky features with no longevity.
I think it's time they just did away with all of the gimmicks and produced a down-to-earth console - with optional gimmicks - but one catering to the entire demographic of gamers.
I mean, come on... look at that list above - ANYONE could have come up with that list - anyone! It's a dead cert. EVERY hardcore gamer has a little part of their heart hoping that Nintendo makes a comeback in the future. And I'll bet that every one of those gamers would play one of those titles in the list I came up with if it was done right.

But they've never done it right. And that's what I'm getting at. We all know what we want, but they've never delivered, and it's so bleeding obvious.

And as for the saviour reference. I think if they don't get the next one right, they're done as a console dev. They'll switch to software-only like Sega. That's what I meant by 'saving' them. I'm not saying they'll go under, they'll just stop producing hardware, which, to me, is a sad, sad day...
I agree for the most part. I think Nintendo just soaks on the nostalgia effect on people and consumers. They know it's a solid % of their purchase base so they run with what's safe there. Especially in the console world at this point in time. They know PC's just out-do them all and there is no room for a 3rd "strong" competitor.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
4418 posts
1724 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote: Pretty much echoing what I said, well put. Agree on these fronts.

Love the Nintendo library of games, and quality they have. Completely acceptable for them to be a niche console in the $300 MSRP range or lower.

According to FoxCon leak, Nintendo NX will just be like Wii U except:

1. Nintendo NX will run on AMD's APU, which should allow easy third part developvent (just like PS4/XBONE)
2. Nintendo NX's controller is a tablet, which is essentially just a portable device like 3Ds
3. It allows backward compatibilities with Wii U games, and allow developer to develop Console/portable games on the same platform

300 won't be too much for a 3DS+Wii U.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
What Foxconn leak is that? I must've missed this and Google just comes up with a bunch of stories that were confirmed as fakes.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)