Nintendo NX - The Next Generation Nintendo Console - Discussion Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2016 9:14 pm
Banned
Dec 17, 2012
2084 posts
277 upvotes
TORONTO
Redmask wrote: The sales aren't frequent nor deep enough, I do pay attention to both the stores and this website. Marking something already over priced down 20% isn't a "sale" to me but to each his own. Digital only still isn't viable unless you like paying a very high price.

Anyways getting back on topic I think Nintendo won't really go through with this anyway, there will be some option (sd cards or something) for physical media. As a company they're pretty addicted to it.
The sales are once a week, along with Sony having a flash sale once a month..
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
According this post, there is a passage literally saying the NX will have an optical drive.
sinxtanx on NeoGAF wrote:The example is totally of a Digital-only console but this in no way restricts any other NX hardware to be exactly that, says patent. Digital-only can be made on the cheap tho, says patent. Passage literally confirming NX device with disc drive (bolded is my notes):
The first basic program 24(NX kernel) and the second basic program 25(NX OS) also operate in, for example, a game apparatus including an optical disk drive or a game apparatus not including the internal HDD 13.
Other hardware configs need not neccessarily include an HDD. (Like, say a portable device? Hmm?)
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6907 posts
3331 upvotes
Canada
I'm still thinking the NX gamepad is going to have "Stable 3D" and the ability to take your game further away from your console than the 15 feet it can today.

If it's not this incarnation, it will be the next ... Nintendo will merge their portable/consoles in to one device. The console will become a sort of docking station expanding the portable version of the game on TV. It will be where you store, download, manage your system, and play parts or the game fully on the big screen. The gamepad will be a fully functioning "3DS" where you can take the full game with you on the go.

It is easily doable. Nintendo has proven they don't need to be cutting edge when it comes to resolutions and graphics. They know their handhelds are the bread and butter of their company now ... so it seems to me they should just merge them in to one.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
Pretty sure that was already well covered in the early rumors about the system, I don't think anyone disagrees that its going to be a portable hybrid given that its been heavily hinted. Whether or not it has 3D doesn't really concern me, I personally don't think it will but if it does then its not a big deal because I can just turn it off.

I think the concept of a console dock has a lot of merit, I'm more worried about them being able to ship something viable for devs in such a small form factor. Perhaps it will just do what the gamepad does, down rezzed content in portable mode and full resolution when docked. That would be cool.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4653 posts
1087 upvotes
Toronto
Haz wrote: According this post, there is a passage literally saying the NX will have an optical drive.
sinxtanx on NeoGAF wrote:The example is totally of a Digital-only console but this in no way restricts any other NX hardware to be exactly that, says patent. Digital-only can be made on the cheap tho, says patent. Passage literally confirming NX device with disc drive (bolded is my notes):
The first basic program 24(NX kernel) and the second basic program 25(NX OS) also operate in, for example, a game apparatus including an optical disk drive or a game apparatus not including the internal HDD 13.
Other hardware configs need not neccessarily include an HDD. (Like, say a portable device? Hmm?)
It said optical drive or some similar apparatus (ie something like flash memory cards, sd cards, etc). This has been all but confirmed from much earlier leaks -- no optical drive (blue ray or dvd or proprietary version of those). It will probably have either an sd card reader or a similar disc reader - not unlike the 3ds and earlier Nintendo systems (nes, snes, n64...). Now is the perfect time to go back to some kind of solid state memory - blue ray discs read slowly (5-10mb/s) and flash memory is dirt cheap.

The nx will probably have digital distribution and some kind of small memory disk for games as well,
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
jiffylube1024 wrote:
Haz wrote: According this post, there is a passage literally saying the NX will have an optical drive.

It said optical drive or some similar apparatus (ie something like flash memory cards, sd cards, etc). This has been all but confirmed from much earlier leaks -- no optical drive (blue ray or dvd or proprietary version of those). It will probably have either an sd card reader or a similar disc reader - not unlike the 3ds and earlier Nintendo systems (nes, snes, n64...). Now is the perfect time to go back to some kind of solid state memory - blue ray discs read slowly (5-10mb/s) and flash memory is dirt cheap.

The nx will probably have digital distribution and some kind of small memory disk for games as well,
That post is a year old man!
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4653 posts
1087 upvotes
Toronto
Haz wrote:
jiffylube1024 wrote:

Meaning? Did you read the substance of my post? There will very likely NOT be an optical drive for the NX - it just doesn't make sense for what Nintendo is trying to do.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
Last edited by Haz on Aug 12th, 2016 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
Last edited by Haz on Aug 12th, 2016 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
jiffylube1024 wrote:
Haz wrote:
jiffylube1024 wrote:

Meaning? Did you read the substance of my post? There will very likely NOT be an optical drive for the NX - it just doesn't make sense for what Nintendo is trying to do.
Yes, many of us have come to the same conclusion already especially after the talk of cartridges months ago.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)