• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2018 9:40 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
8513 posts
252 upvotes
doctorgonzo wrote: I would think that a followup next holiday season is almost guaranteed. I would think a NES Classic V2 is probably likely as there are a ton of games that people would still want to see and Nintendo will want to milk that platform for all its worth. Plus it would be cheaper as well since all the machinery/tooling is already in place to manufacture the shell, etc.

I don't think this toy can even be considered in the same market segment as the Switch. This is an $80 curiosity. The Switch is going to be Nintendo's next premier platform that will likely be $300+. Totally different markets.

I think the success of this platform speaks volumes about the continued value of Nintendo's IP. You compare it to Sega, Coleco, or Atari - other iconic brands. Those brands have had similar retro toys available for a few years and none of them are even close in popularity. It's true that none of the noted brands actually manufactured their own toys (I think atgames is the company) but they licensed their brands to crap devices that left a lot to be desired (input lag, crap sound emulation, etc). Which I think devalued their brands. Who really cares about Sega games anymore? They're just a second rate company now and no one cares about Sega releases anymore. Full credit to Nintendo for protecting their brand thru all these years and still have the ability to create enthusiasm and interest for games that people have had the opportunity to repurchase/play numerous times over the past years (reissues on various platforms (GB, GBA, DS, 3DS, virtual console, etc, etc, etc)).
Well I hope so but I'm not optimistic. I think the days are numbered for the 3DS because of the fact that it has the potential to cannibalize Switch sales so I'd be shocked if Nintendo had another system competing for attention during the first holiday season with the Switch. Different market segment or not, I think they'd rather people buy another software title for the Switch for Christmas instead of a NES v2.

The interesting thing about the other systems is that they actually sell decently well and AtGames seems to position them solely as easy Christmas present type items. The Ataris have frequently been in huge demand over the years and going for well over retail cost on the secondary market (which is dumb because they release a new one every year). I don't know if it makes a lot of sense for Nintendo to live in that market though as it's probably not a huge revenue generator for someone like Nintendo who could be selling their modern console instead. I do agree with you though, the Nintendo IP is in another world compared to the IP on those other systems and it's great that they've created the NES classic and they're not just forcing people to use the virtual console setup on the Wii U or 3DS.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1865 upvotes
Ajax
hugh_da_man wrote: I still don't agree with the idea that this is good for Nintendo. They had a product that was already hyped based on nostalgia and they either don't know how many to manufacture enough units or they are trying to do the usual Nintendo thing of limiting stock. In this case though, what benefit is there to Nintendo for people not to get the system? The people who can't get one aren't tripping on nostalgia and reminded of their youth and searching for a Switch pre-order. They're not sharing the Mario they had as a kid and picking up a 3DS for their kids. Instead they leave a 1-star review on Amazon and move on to the next PS4 title.

Nintendo has once again let down customers and that's not a "huge win". Go online and look at the disappointment and anger over the way Nintendo has handled this. Sure the Nintendo fanboys will be out proclaiming how great this is for Nintendo because it gets them in the news and all of the hype but it also attaches their name to countless stories about scams and ripoffs. If you believe in there being no such thing as bad publicity then they're winning bigly.

EDIT: oh and I hope you're right about more classic systems. I'd gladly take a classic of every Nintendo system. My fear is that they won't want a product that competes with the Switch over the next few holiday seasons so what are the odds they put out more classics any time soon?
+1 Nicely put.
Nov 11, 2003
542 posts
194 upvotes
Scarb
^Sold out in 1 sec

Was able to add to cart but couldn't checkout.
Last edited by mannie511 on Nov 23rd, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2007
1837 posts
598 upvotes
Guelph
McLaren wrote: Still says OOS...
Ya you missed it. Was @ 2:26pm. I got lucky and snagged one.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6908 posts
3333 upvotes
Canada
It was about a 3-5 minute window.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
4201 posts
2228 upvotes
Niagara
Damn.. I'm trying to stay on top of this but talk about needing to act quickly.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
crookscastle79 wrote: The scalpbots had beaten majority of us to it...
Not everyone that clicks the button before you is a scalper.

Maybe, as crazy as it sounds, it could just be that a lot of people want this...
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14353 posts
15717 upvotes
Oil Country
Made two separate orders for one. First order went through at 1237PM MST, and the second was at 1238PM MST.

It was odd though. My buddy was unable to see stock when he visited the BB site from his desktop PC at work. When I did a search on the mobile site from my phone, it also showed out of stock, but when I clicked on the item and brought up the product listing, it show limited quantities. I quickly ordered one, and after that was complete, I went back and ordered another. Go figure.
Nov 16, 2016
215 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote: Not everyone that clicks the button before you is a scalper.

Maybe, as crazy as it sounds, it could just be that a lot of people want this...
I did'nt say that everyone who clicks was a scalper, but if you have someone that uses software to purchase multiple units
then that "lot of people who want this" would have a very slim chance of getting one for them considering that these stores received limited stock online to sell
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14353 posts
15717 upvotes
Oil Country
crookscastle79 wrote: I did'nt say that everyone who clicks was a scalper, but if you have someone that uses software to purchase multiple units
then that "lot of people who want this" would have a very slim chance of getting one for them considering that these stores received limited stock online to sell
or it could just be that they had 100 in stock, and thousands of people were waiting on the site for their release. You might've had a slow trigger finger. They released them at 1130AM PST, and I was able to snag two 7 and 8 minutes later.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14353 posts
15717 upvotes
Oil Country
Atomicjack27 wrote: Does anyone know when or if more will be coming?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/ ... 55a69a7c54
“The Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition system is a hot item, and we are working hard to keep up with consumer demand. There will be a steady flow of additional systems through the holiday shopping season and into the new year. Please contact your local retailers to check product availability. A selection of participating retailers can be found at www.Nintendo.com/nes-classic.“
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14353 posts
15717 upvotes
Oil Country
crookscastle79 wrote: I did'nt say that everyone who clicks was a scalper, but if you have someone that uses software to purchase multiple units
Hmm... was just checking my order on the BB site, and it seems they may have accidentally released the units prematurely. According to the Best Buy community forum, they were supposed to release them at 11:30AM PST. I got my first one at 11:26AM and the second at 11:30.

My orders:
Jan 5, 2009
430 posts
37 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Can I ask why you guys are so eager to buy this? Do you really want to play NES games?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
4201 posts
2228 upvotes
Niagara
StopTheCharade wrote: Can I ask why you guys are so eager to buy this? Do you really want to play NES games?
Yes.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2007
1837 posts
598 upvotes
Guelph
StopTheCharade wrote: Can I ask why you guys are so eager to buy this? Do you really want to play NES games?

Ummm.. why else?