Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Nintendo Store

Refurbished Nintendo Switch Dock $50.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2019 1:53 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2007
1853 posts
1079 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote: Sony does it too with their memory stick, and Apple is even worse
Stop spreading this misinformation please. 2019 no one uses memory sticks and apple has been using USB-PD for years since iphone 8.
Nov 22, 2016
141 posts
190 upvotes
Thanks OP. In for 1 refurbished dock and refurbished AC adaptor. Total came to $94.90, tax and shipping included.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
3350 posts
2446 upvotes
Montreal
rfdghost wrote: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/in ... y/12302274

An alternative to the switch dock with no reports of damage w/ included AC adapter add an alternative. Been using this with a portable hdmi monitor for compact gaming on the go.
This is the one I use after getting it on sale. I actually use this one at home and I have a deluxe travel case designed to carry the original dock so I use that for travel. After over a year and several fw updates, not a single issue or suspicious temperature problems.
Mar 25, 2013
775 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto
daviiiiiid wrote: This is the one I use after getting it on sale. I actually use this one at home and I have a deluxe travel case designed to carry the original dock so I use that for travel. After over a year and several fw updates, not a single issue or suspicious temperature problems.
Thanks for this. I been looking for someone who's actually used this dock for some time. Next time its on sale i'm going to pull the trigger.
DroidKid
Apr 20, 2009
288 posts
142 upvotes
For one that is much smaller and more portable, check out this one on kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hu ... overt-dock

It's the size of a AC wall wart and has USB-C, USB-A and HDMI output. It's about the same price as a dock and AC adaptor once shipping is included.

For more permanent set ups, the Nintendo dock would be more functional. But if you want to play while on the move including on a TV, this seems like a much better solution
Aug 20, 2018
273 posts
302 upvotes
Not having the AC adapter included makes this almost a non-deal IMO.
number8888 wrote: Stop spreading this misinformation please.

Switch does have the proper USB-PD chip and controller. What happened was that Nyko cut corners and did not put in the proper USB-PD controller, which would send too much voltage to the Switch and would brick it. This is why other docks like the Insignia did not have any problems.

In order words, blame Nyko instead of Nintendo, and always use properly certified USB-PD adapters/cables.

Explained very well here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch ... ck_switch/
Other reputable engineers have been adamant that Nintendo didn't follow the spec properly. A Reddit post isn't definitive trustworthy worth-bricking-your-$400-switch-for source IMHO, and he's also literally trying to sell you something.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39338 posts
6341 upvotes
Winnipeg
kuothebest wrote: Stop spreading this misinformation please. 2019 no one uses memory sticks and apple has been using USB-PD for years since iphone 8.
they been doing it for years
Jul 4, 2005
968 posts
180 upvotes
Heads up these guys are terrible for if you need to cancel an order so be sure you want it first.

1) No option to cancel online
2) No option to cancel in the confirmation email
3) No option to email them
4) Have to call in the office hours and then be put on hold for 30 min
5) CS has no power to cancel the order (even though it is still in pending)
6) Must do a "return" instead but the shipping both ways will not be refunded

Worst online shopping experience I've ever had. Why make it this difficult to cancel an order?

Edit: Speaking to a manager who is still unable to cancel for me but willing to refund me the shipping costs (but not the customs costs if any).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
dcipub wrote: Not having the AC adapter included makes this almost a non-deal IMO.

Other reputable engineers have been adamant that Nintendo didn't follow the spec properly. A Reddit post isn't definitive trustworthy worth-bricking-your-$400-switch-for source IMHO, and he's also literally trying to sell you something.

I linked this because it is the most thorough explanation of the inner workings of the Switch and how it manages charging when plugged in.

If there's a proper source that can refute this I would love to see it. I was skeptical too but I could never find anything that conclusively explain what happened. All I found was a few posts suggesting it's the fault of Nintendo's and everybody just believed it, including me at the time. I guess it's the "better safe than sorry" combined with "Nintendo can't do anything right" mentality perpetuating at the time.

However, thinking about it logically, if plugging in anything that is not from Nintendo would brick the console, then you'd think there would be a lot more bricked consoles by now. This also doesn't explain why other docks like the Insignia work fine.

It's silly how so many people would love to jump on Nintendo on this, and instead of Nyko who is known for making cheap peripherals to begin with.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
3057 posts
1504 upvotes
Midevilshadow wrote: Heads up these guys are terrible for if you need to cancel an order so be sure you want it first.

1) No option to cancel online
2) No option to cancel in the confirmation email
3) No option to email them
4) Have to call in the office hours and then be put on hold for 30 min
5) CS has no power to cancel the order (even though it is still in pending)
6) Must do a "return" instead but the shipping both ways will not be refunded

Worst online shopping experience I've ever had. Why make it this difficult to cancel an order?

Edit: Speaking to a manager who is still unable to cancel for me but willing to refund me the shipping costs (but not the customs costs if any).
Sounds like ordering from Walmart.ca.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5348 posts
4356 upvotes
number8888 wrote: I linked this because it is the most thorough explanation of the inner workings of the Switch and how it manages charging when plugged in.

If there's a proper source that can refute this I would love to see it. I was skeptical too but I could never find anything that conclusively explain what happened. All I found was a few posts suggesting it's the fault of Nintendo's and everybody just believed it, including me at the time. I guess it's the "better safe than sorry" combined with "Nintendo can't do anything right" mentality perpetuating at the time.

However, thinking about it logically, if plugging in anything that is not from Nintendo would brick the console, then you'd think there would be a lot more bricked consoles by now. This also doesn't explain why other docks like the Insignia work fine.

It's silly how so many people would love to jump on Nintendo on this, and instead of Nyko who is known for making cheap peripherals to begin with.
Weird bricking happened right after firmware 5.0 update.

No bricking reports from firmware 1.0 to 4.0. If 3rd party docks is at fault why no bricking prior to the 5.0 update? Nintendo changed something which caused the brick.

The Reddit post is from a Kickstarter who is trying to sell you his own version of dock. Take it with a grain of salt.

*Conspiracy mode on* - How many exploitable Switches died from FW 5.0???
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
7440 posts
4191 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Just bought a genuine switch power adapter on FB Marketplace for $20 since I wanted one for traveling. I was using just cheap USB C cables but prefer to have a genuine one.

Now I'm thinking of getting this dock for our second TV.

I bought a Surge Travel dock a while back (didn't pay much) but never ended up using it because of the information I found online about possible issues with the switch and 3rd party docks. I know it's not confirmed but it's 300$+ console and want to keep it for a long time :)

thanks op :)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
WL1980 wrote: Weird bricking happened right after firmware 5.0 update.

No bricking reports from firmware 1.0 to 4.0. If 3rd party docks is at fault why no bricking prior to the 5.0 update? Nintendo changed something which caused the brick.

The Reddit post is from a Kickstarter who is trying to sell you his own version of dock. Take it with a grain of salt.

*Conspiracy mode on* - How many exploitable Switches died from FW 5.0???
When Firmware 5.0 came out only SOME docks like the Nyko cased bricking. The Insignia which was already released at the time had no issues. So while the update probably tighten up the charging functionalities, it was not explicit made to disallow using 3rd party docks.

And yes the post was from the someone that is making their own dock, so is good to bring about a bit of skepticism when reading. However I can't find fault with the following which I think summarize the issue quite well:
Starting backwards, we know a majority of bricking incidences result in a malfunctioning Power Delivery (PD) chip; there are now numerous electronic repair shops and online stores that actually stock the M92T36M PD chip for bricking repairs.

Now this may sound a bit confusing because many are stating the Switch is not PD compliant, but in reality it is using a proper PD Chip and controller. You can find many YouTube repair videos of the switch with replacing the M92T36 and its the sole USB-C PD controller present within the Switch; it controls all of the PD negotiations and ALT Mode (upscaling for HDMI output) functions of the Switch. Though the exact data-sheet of the M92T36 isn’t available publicly I was able to find the closest variant of it, the M92T30 made by ROHM and seem to only differ only by operating voltage. In the details I discovered the absolute max voltage rating for the Configuration Channel (CC) pin to be 6 volts. This means voltage traveling through the CC at more than 6 volts can and will fry the M92T36 chip.

Bricking Happens when the M92T36M PD Chip gets more than 6V

Surprisingly, bricking seems to comes down to corner cutting more than proprietary algorithms. The prevailing theory that the Switch isn’t PD compliant has very little to do with docking actually, and the power consumption of a docked Switch and a non-docked Switch is generally pretty consistent, maxing out at 18W. The inconsistencies of power draw and PD protocol errors are easily managed by the PD chip.

A much more common reason for bricking, are those third party docks that are cutting corners and not actually implementing dedicated PD controllers. For example, the Nyko dock itself uses a microcontroller that emulates the PD protocol and signal input/output voltages. Nyko’s PD emulator sends 9V to the Switch through the CC pin to the M92T36M, putting it 3V higher than the 6V max rating on the M92T36 which leads to a bricking Russian Roulette.
I think the above would be pretty easily refuted if it's not accurate, and I would love to read about it if that's the case. The more information we get the better as that will allow everyone to make the best decision. Since at the end of the day none of us would like our Switch to be rendered useless.
There's a sucker born every minute.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)