PC & Video Games

Nintendo Switch Game Suggestion for 8 year old?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2018 2:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2003
6219 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto

Nintendo Switch Game Suggestion for 8 year old?

Need a game suggestion for my 8 year old nephew. I've been out of the gaming scene for a while now. Can someone suggest some titles?

He already has Mario Kart and his parents getting him the upcoming Minecraft game.

He's a big Pokemon fan, but I don't think they have the old school type Pokemon games on the switch (similar to the 3ds games) from what I googled.

Any other suggestions? He has a 6 year old younger brother. Ideally a 2 player game would be nice that he could play as well.

I saw Mario Odyssey had good reviews but I think is only 1 player?

Thanks in advance!
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5049 posts
740 upvotes
calgary
I have an 8 year old and he loves Nintendo Switch

He has probably sunk the most time in Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, and Splatoon 2.

- Im not sure I would recommend Zelda unless he has someone to assist him as it can be quite challenging for an 8 year old.
- He had a great time with Mario: Odyssey and beat the entire game and got 500 moons without any help from me (I think there is an assist mode), I would recommend this above all.
It has a 2 player co-op game but the second player is fairly limited and not very fun to play.
- Splatoon 2 has a fun single player, I did have to help him out a few times but has no local co-op but he plays online co-op with his friends from school and is probably his most played game.

My son also saved up his money and just got Nintendo Labo, he just finished putting them all together and so I have no idea on the longevity of them but he really enjoyed assembling them all and I would recommend that too.

If your adamant about finding something they can play together there is a Kirby game with 4 player local co-op, I didn't purchase it but my son spent a lot of time with the demo and really enjoyed it.
Apr 30, 2006
293 posts
142 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hi OP. Not exactly what you’re looking for but you could buy your nephew a second set of joycons. It makes the games a lot more fun to play and control.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1637 posts
200 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
Why do I have to get a second set of joy Cons? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
4423 posts
450 upvotes
Toronto
Other than the above mentioned games my nephews really enjoyed Rayman Origins.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2003
6219 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Ended up getting him Mario Odyssey and he's really enjoying it :)