PC & Video Games

Nintendo Switch (Project NX) console to ship on March 3rd 2017. Zelda on NX & WiiU

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2017 10:16 am
Tags:
None
Feb 5, 2007
342 posts
65 upvotes
East York
parapudaw wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 1:31 pm
Anyone put any screen protector on the switch? Any recommendations?
Hori one is a great way to go. However eb staff told me get the regular one 13 bucks instead of premium one I believe around 25 dollars. Premium one end up peel off after insert to dock and heat up. I have regular one for one day so far, no complain
Dec 23, 2012
71 posts
23 upvotes
i receive my switch yesterday. Some problem people report make me scared to have problem. i have play 2 hours of zelda without problem and my brother have play some hour in the night and at the start all be okay for me. when i cameback to work and try again finally i start to have problem with the left joycon disconnect me many many time and that be annoying. i dont know what i going to do with that problem i have read what nintendo have say about interference but i have many device there. i have shutdown my computer thinking that can help but have this problem after that. The problem not happen when i try it on hanheld mode. surely i try to put the switch other place to be at some meter of other device but the problem is the hdmi cable nintendo give are a little small and the ac adapater too and at first i have difficulty to find a way to plug my nintendo switch because cable are small. Surely soon i going to buy a hdmi with more feet to be able to put the nintendo switch other place.

Zelda are nice and i be surprised few first hours how is confortable to play with the joycon controller. i hope i can find a solution and i dont have to buy the pro controller. do someone have report problem with pro controller of disconnection ?.

i know blaster master game are yet not compatible with the pro controller but a patck on day 1 are there to change that i have read on a website news today.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4548 posts
547 upvotes
I finally received and set up my Switch and its a bit of a mixed bag for me. I love the design and feel of it, the screen quality is great and the Joycons I find surprisingly comfortable in almost every configuration, most surprisingly is how nice they actually feel on the side, given the complaints I was expected something unmanageable but it doesnt feel much worse then a Wii Controller IMO, my least desirable configuration was probably in the charge grip, I actually think I prefer just playing with the Joycons independently. The UI is pretty nice and simple, it offers about the minimum I would require for something like this and there is a ton of room to add and grow but its a great start. I love love love the gimmick, I played a couple hours of Zelda between last night and this morning then pulled the thing out of the stand and brought it one the train with me for my morning commute. Also something that wasnt mentioned in any reviews (likely because its not a concern for a lot of people) is how fully featured and well implemented the parental controls app is, you can basically control and limit the use of the switch via a phone app which sounds convoluted but actually works great in practice and has a ton of different features and options, I would say I actually greatly prefer this setup over a traditional setup. It actually gives me a ton of hope for the "online" app that is going to appear later this year. Also I was very nervous that the UI and system would lack the nintendo charm due to a lack of music in the UI and store but the little sound effects are a great touch. Also the kickstand holds up better then I thought it would based on previews. Also the screen and box are a lot smaller then I had thought they would be the box actually fit in my community mailbox, and the screen with Joycons removed fits snuggly into my pocket.

Now the cons:
-The Joycon connectivity issue is a HUGE issue for me with my setup, where I sit is only about 8-10 feet from the Switch dock but Im frequently disconnecting unless I play with the joycon independently and basically point the left joycon at the screen. Its really hampering my ability to enjoy this thing. I honestly think my controller might be broken, not only do I have to be close and have a clear line of site (when someone walks across it loses its connection) but when I undock the controllers turn my back to the switch and sit down where I would normally sit the left joycon actually just disconnects from the system and the only way to re-connect it seems to be physically putting it back on the switch in the dock and walking backwards towards my spot (so as not to physically interfere with the connection). Honestly it feels like Im playing with a wireless device from 2001. I really hope there is a fix for this be it a hardware fix I can do at home or a software fix but its a huge dam problem and Im surprised it was even able to ship like this.
- WiFi is still a huge issue, with my switch literally sitting right next to my wifi router on a 100mpbs connection Zelda took about 5 hours to download, that would take about 20 minutes on my XB1.
- Browsing through the store really brings to light how dry this launch is outside of Zelda, there is literally nothing outside of Zelda and Snipperclips that Id even consider paying for. I really cant wait for some more good Nintendo games to launch on this thing. Having even a few games virtual console games would really go a long way here.
- My son put the grip on upside down and that was a huge mistake, what a nightmare getting that thing off.

Overall I really really really want to love it, it has a ton of potential but the Joycon thing is really killing it for me.

On a side note I got some "throwaway" Joystick grips with the screen protector I had purchased. I had no intention of using them but I tried them out and I find them to be a nice little upgrade.
Last edited by SpicYMchaggis on Mar 7th, 2017 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sep 26, 2010
464 posts
41 upvotes
OctaneChicken wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 9:24 am
Has anyone found a lan adapter that works with the switch?
I tried my Anker usb3.0 adapter and it doesn't work.
I know people are having success with the amazonbasics lan adapter but it's only available in the states.
I am using a no-name brand white coloured one I got from amazon or canada computers like 5 years ago, for $20, works fine. I think its only usb 2.0 but the speedtest shows full internet speed.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2006
2075 posts
209 upvotes
Thornhill
JKKim2983 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 2:33 pm
I would have gladly paid the extra dollars for a scratch resistant screen. Instead, I have to consider putting on a plastic screen protector on top of a plastic screen.. :facepalm:
As much as I don't like this scratchy screen, I think there were pros to doing this, as it can survive drops a lot better than a glass screen which has a higher scratch resistance. You'd expect glass screens get shattered on the first drop, I apply gorilla glass on my cell phones to prevent them from shattering and these are like $800-1000 devices vs $400 switch. Nintendo expects that a good portions of the players are kids, and this is just a way of preventing accidents from breaking your console on the first drop.

They should have included a gorilla glass protector though, now I'm looking to buy one while I carefully dock my console with a cloth in between. Would like to buy amFilms tempered glass, but not available on amazon.ca right now, it is on .com though :/ seems like no one received their orzly tempered glass either (see no reviews). I'd stay away from the thinner plastic films because of the melting issue when docked.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4693 posts
1220 upvotes
Toronto
Myv wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 12:38 pm
Nintendo expects that a good portions of the players are kids, and this is just a way of preventing accidents from breaking your console on the first drop.
I don't know man that imo is an absolutely terrible reason to be using easily scratch plastic for a screen on a premium portable device in 2017. Especially with the design of the dock and how much that adds to the problem. Mobile phones and cheap tablets have been coming out with nearly indestructible screens for years now. I'm an adult, handle my things with care and rarely if ever drop them. I'd much rather have a high quality glass screen that doesn't scratch than easily damaged cheap plastic that requires more cheap plastic to protect it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5340 posts
1067 upvotes
For the dock, I taped a microfibre cloth over the side which the screen faces when docked.
For the Switch screen, I use a Hori regular screen protector. I have the tempered glass screen protectors ordered but I think the regular Hori ones will suffice.

I bought 2 Switches but saves are non-transferable so that lessens the usefulness of having two.
I intended to use one exclusively for taking it outside of home and one for use at home only.

It is dissapointing that Zelda Breath of the Wild only has 1 save slot for each Nintendo ID on the system.

Last edited by XFactor11 on Mar 7th, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5340 posts
1067 upvotes
Digital Foundry: Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2 are horrible on the Nintendo Switch compared to the
PS4 version but visually decent compared to the PS Vita version.

PS4 (regular model): 1080p 60 frames per second (with framerate drops to as low as 50 fps on a normal PS4).
Switch version: Graphics downgraded. 1080p when docked, 720p when undocked. struggles between 20-30 fps when docked. Portable mode runs worse than docked mode. (15-30 fps?)
PS Vita version (5 year old hardware) 960 x 544p. Graphics dialed way back, 25-30 fps.

Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2000 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Love it so far - a little barebones in terms of software offerings, but Zelda does make up for a lot. Who can tell me how to make it so that I don't have to enter my password every time I sign in to the store? My only annoyance so far. Put some tape over the rails on the dock and that should hold off the scratching issue. The left joycon definitely has issues with connections, but hopefully it's a patchable. The gimmick this time simply works, and really speaks to the viability of hybrid consoles.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1602 posts
190 upvotes
Red Deer
Videos like the one below has me a little worried about picking one up at the moment. Knowing my luck I'll probably get one with issues.

Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1130 posts
310 upvotes
Rob76 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 8:37 pm
Videos like the one below has me a little worried about picking one up at the moment. Knowing my luck I'll probably get one with issues.

I haven't experienced any of these issues. I am somewhat concerned about scratching the screen from the dock. Outing the reported issues.

There is an easy 'fix' to this. What I did was used some black Gorilla duct take over the hard plastic parts in the dock to avoid scratching. Gorilla tape is about twice the thickness of regular duct tape and has a better adhesive. It almost feels like padding and works well the keep the Switch snuggly secured in the dock which providing protection from it being scratched.

Try it out, I have not seen a better solution. With the black tape it would not be noticeable unless you were specifically looking for it.
Dec 15, 2013
741 posts
128 upvotes
C A N A D A
Rob76 wrote:

Nintendo can definitely look at fixing the dock scratching, left joycon disconnection issues, etc. Hopefully they will fix some of those issues but it would likely be months and months away unless they realized it after production started.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4548 posts
547 upvotes
Rob76 wrote:

Honestly I find when these consoles launch a lot of little issues that either exist in a very small percentage of consoles/dont exist at all/or only exist to abuse crop up and people make a big deal out of it.

I think there are a few real common issues such as the Joycon disconnects and the screen being scratched when it gets docked but the rest are probably inline with the average hardware failures.

On a side note my Joycon issue was almost completely non-existent last night. I had done the restart with the joycons in the dock after the update and I had also reset my wireless router (which had been acting up) and I only noticed one small instance where it disconnected and I was sitting in positions that would have totally killed the thing the night before.

I really wonder if there was some major interference with my wifi or something, what I was experiencing on monday night was worse then I could have ever imagined and practically unplayable where as last night it was almost totally fine.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1572 posts
415 upvotes
Toronto
Rob76 wrote:

You can always return easily if you have any major issues. That should not hold you back.

But beware, the Switch does have other issues such as others mentioned (Joy-cons disconnecting, weak wi-fi signal and a scratch-able screen).
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel