• Jan 13th, 2024 6:42 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2905 posts
2130 upvotes
Parksville, BC
sandikosh wrote: Now, as much as I love the Switch and Nintendo, these two moves pisses me off.

1. Nintendo is releasing a new wireless controller to play those classic NES games. But there is a catch. Actually two catches. First you must subscribe to their online service and secondly, you can only use them to play those games.
The Verge: Wireless NES Controller

2. Your cloud saves. Now let's say you decided not to renew your Nintendo Online subscription, there is a chance that all your save games will disappear.

Your text to link here...
At least the service is comparatively cheap and there is always this:
A $35/year Switch Online Family Account can be shared between up to eight different Nintendo accounts, regardless of the locations of those accounts or whether they are sharing the same Switch console.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
2095 posts
992 upvotes
YYC
Does buying from South African store no longer work? It says credit card from region is needed.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7813 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
sandikosh wrote: Now, as much as I love the Switch and Nintendo, these two moves pisses me off.

1. Nintendo is releasing a new wireless controller to play those classic NES games. But there is a catch. Actually two catches. First you must subscribe to their online service and secondly, you can only use them to play those games.

2. Your cloud saves. Now let's say you decided not to renew your Nintendo Online subscription, there is a chance that all your save games will disappear.

Just when everyone thought they were turning it around with client services, they go and do this facepalm worthy move. Oh Nintendo, you never change...
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2210 posts
696 upvotes
Edmonton

I don't understand why people are upset about this. If you're not paying for the service anymore, why should you get the benefit? It makes total sense to me.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Andrew765 wrote: I don't understand why people are upset about this. If you're not paying for the service anymore, why should you get the benefit? It makes total sense to me.
Because arguably better online gaming service providers like Steam, Origin, Uplay, GOG etc all provide cloud saves completely for free for exponentially more players than Nintendo hosts. It doesn't cost a cent to have an account on any of those platforms yet cloud saves are provided for free for everyone for many years now.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2398 posts
397 upvotes
It's not about not getting to use the cloud saves if your subscription lapses. It's if you make a mistake and let it laps for a few days you lose your backups. Cloud saves are free on XBL, Steam, and GoG and PSN retains them for 6 months. NSO is demonstrably worse than every other service on offer.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2310 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
It's amusing that Nintendo still can't get online right. You can't even message your friends on the Switch.

I don't have faith in Super Smash Bros Ultimate's online. Smash netcode was awful on the Wii U, 3DS and Wii.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2210 posts
696 upvotes
Edmonton
Ascott wrote: It's not about not getting to use the cloud saves if your subscription lapses. It's if you make a mistake and let it laps for a few days you lose your backups. Cloud saves are free on XBL, Steam, and GoG and PSN retains them for 6 months. NSO is demonstrably worse than every other service on offer.
It is also demonstrably way cheaper than every other service on offer. I think this is great value for what you get! $25 is cheap.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Andrew765 wrote: It is also demonstrably way cheaper than every other service on offer. I think this is great value for what you get! $25 is cheap.
I love that you just completely ignored that all the other services mentioned offer cloud saves for free lmaaoo
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2210 posts
696 upvotes
Edmonton
ReeGee wrote: I love that you just completely ignored that all the other services mentioned offer cloud saves for free lmaaoo
The service is more than just cloud saves.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
Andrew765 wrote: It is also demonstrably way cheaper than every other service on offer. I think this is great value for what you get! $25 is cheap.
Err, huh? It's kind of terrible value compared to even free services, let alone paid ones. It's cheap because it has to be, look at the competition. I like Nintendo but let's be honest, the internet isn't their forte.

If my credit card expires and my sub lapses for a day I shouldn't lose all of my save games, that's pretty much indefensible IMO.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2310 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
It's $25 for a half-baked online service. The original Xbox had better online capabilities in 2002.

$25 would be decent value if they had SNES games in the line up. I don't know how long they can milk NES games that aged poorly.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
2095 posts
992 upvotes
YYC
Yeah Nintendo is a joke. It's like they are in the year 2000. Why the hell are they using friend codes still? You can't chat in game with a headset and the games you can you need to install an app on your phone.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2005
2140 posts
613 upvotes
Birchmount & Ell…
Redmask wrote: Err, huh? It's kind of terrible value compared to even free services, let alone paid ones. It's cheap because it has to be, look at the competition. I like Nintendo but let's be honest, the internet isn't their forte.

If my credit card expires and my sub lapses for a day I shouldn't lose all of my save games, that's pretty much indefensible IMO.
"unable to guarantee that cloud save data will be retained after an extended period of time from when your membership is ended."

One day is not an extended period of time
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2398 posts
397 upvotes
I wish they would have launched the service with a better selection of NES titles (Or more platforms, really). The Black Box series is mostly shallow trash and besides that stuff like Yoshi and River City Ransom are just weak. Something you could actually sink a decent bit of time into other than Legend of Zelda would have been nice - like Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, Maniac Mansion, or Castlevania 3.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1926 posts
252 upvotes
Vancouver
looking for a second controller. recommend any knockoffs or should i go with nintendo brand?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1981 posts
603 upvotes
toronto
chowder wrote: looking for a second controller. recommend any knockoffs or should i go with nintendo brand?
if you factor in resale value the pro controller is a steal when on sale(ebay % or newegg %),
think first, buy later.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like just a rumor at this point but I called that forever ago in this thread. Can't come soon enough imo.
Jun 2, 2005
412 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
Can't wait to try out Super Mario Party tomorrow!

Also, Overcooked 2 has new game + mode now.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)