PC & Video Games

Nintendo Switch (Project NX) console to ship on March 3rd 2017. Zelda on NX & WiiU

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2017 2:22 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1663 posts
424 upvotes
Toronto
I'm surprised how some of the Switch's minor issues got through Nintendo's development process. Did anybody at Nintendo point out that you can't charge the system while its in table top mode? Or how the dock does not have a proper mechanism to keep your Switch screen safe?

This is a tone-deaf company who are blaming their loyal fans that environmental interference is causing the Joy-con and Wi-fi issues. I don't think the Joy-con issue will be fixed. It's a hardware issue. The right thing to do, is to redesign the left Joy-con and issue a recall. Nintendo will not do that.

As some gaming journalists pointed out, it's clear that Nintendo designed the Switch with a second iteration in mind. Happened with the GBA, DS and 3DS...and will happen again.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
3848 posts
39 upvotes
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 10:24 am
I'm surprised how some of the Switch's minor issues got through Nintendo's development process. Did anybody at Nintendo point out that you can't charge the system while its in table top mode? Or how the dock does not have a proper mechanism to keep your Switch screen safe?

This is a tone-deaf company who are blaming their loyal fans that environmental interference is causing the Joy-con and Wi-fi issues. I don't think the Joy-con issue will be fixed. It's a hardware issue. The right thing to do, is to redesign the left Joy-con and issue a recall. Nintendo will not do that.

As some gaming journalists pointed out, it's clear that Nintendo designed the Switch with a second iteration in mind. Happened with the GBA, DS and 3DS...and will happen again.
Seriously. Nintendo is a friggin dinosaur of a company. I was hoping the switch would fail miserably so that they could spare us the shitty sub-par gimmicky hardware that they make time and time again. Just license out the games ffs so we can enjoy them in full 60fps on adequate hardware. Oh well. Now we have to listen to basement-dwelling neckbeard fanboys defending them over every flaw the switch has.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5772 posts
690 upvotes
Grimsby
The only real launch beef I have so far is the dock being ultra cheap and poorly designed. A screen protector should not be mandatory, that sort of scratch issue should be taken into account during design of the dock. I understand they want to make money but after the fisher price Wii U stuff and the high price tag of the Switch they could've at least slapped on microfiber or something along the edge.

Also I dislike the joycons but that's more of a personal thing. I can't wait til my Pro Controller arrives to do Zelda justice.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4952 posts
1440 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 3:58 pm
A screen protector should not be mandatory, that sort of scratch issue should be taken into account during design of the dock.
It's crazy that this was designed the way it was especially after all 3 iterations of the 3DS had complaints about the screen scratching itself when closed.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2000 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 3:58 pm
The only real launch beef I have so far is the dock being ultra cheap and poorly designed. A screen protector should not be mandatory, that sort of scratch issue should be taken into account during design of the dock. I understand they want to make money but after the fisher price Wii U stuff and the high price tag of the Switch they could've at least slapped on microfiber or something along the edge.

Also I dislike the joycons but that's more of a personal thing. I can't wait til my Pro Controller arrives to do Zelda justice.
Or tape. I slapped some tape over the rails facing the screen and stopped worrying. It's a great piece of kit and the gimmick works really well, but the little flaws do nag on you. The dock and it's lack of any ability to boost processing, the wireless connection thing, the charge port on the underside of the machine, it's a good thing that zelda's amazing.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5769 posts
1207 upvotes
Finally received my other amazon game pre-orders.
I would NOT recommend Super Bomberman R. This is the worst experience I have had playing any Bomberman game.

The game currently has input lag even with the patch as of March 8th and the online multiplayer can get very laggy as seen in the 3rd and 4th battles.
The game itself runs at only 30 frames per second too and the graphics are not that detailed either. 1080p in docked mode, 720p in portable mode.

The menu music and sound effects are also awful. I previously played it at the Toronto Nintendo Switch event in and I can see why they put the volume down really low.

1, 2 Switch is not particularly good either. There are very few interesting minigames and they are over very quickly. Low production values.
It is more like Wii Play than Wii Sports in terms of quality.

The most interesting minigame is ball count because the "HD vibration" is utilized in full effect there.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1495 posts
89 upvotes
I was all hyped up because there was a new lego city and I hoped that it was as good as Lego City Undercover that we played tons and almost 100%. Now I'm just learning that its the same game that we played on the Wii U that is coming out on the Switch.....but is it? If so, Im not getting the switch until mario comes out. I mean, most of the people getting the switch already had a wii u? Im bummed that they are just recycling games!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2004
3275 posts
121 upvotes
Sherbrooke
For me, I skipped the WiiU cos I didn't like the idea of it at first glance. (Guess I was right) The switch on another hand is a good idea imo and a good replacement/upgrade to my PS Vita.

I have an eye on Lego City undercover since I never played it. Lego games in coop are always fun.

Btw the game is getting released on PS4, xbox and PC also.
Jan 29, 2013
588 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
BobTheSnake wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 7:45 am
I was all hyped up because there was a new lego city and I hoped that it was as good as Lego City Undercover that we played tons and almost 100%. Now I'm just learning that its the same game that we played on the Wii U that is coming out on the Switch.....but is it? If so, Im not getting the switch until mario comes out. I mean, most of the people getting the switch already had a wii u? Im bummed that they are just recycling games!!!
Actually, I think there are a lot of folks who bought the Switch who never had a Wii U.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4689 posts
592 upvotes
qualdoth wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 10:14 am
Actually, I think there are a lot of folks who bought the Switch who never had a Wii U.
Or owned a WiiU and never played Lego City Undercover.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4952 posts
1440 upvotes
Toronto
Lego City Undercover is by far my favorite Lego game but it was a technical mess on WiiU. A PC version would be absolutely amazing and I'd be happy to replay it 1080/60 because the game was that good
vric wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 8:39 am
I have an eye on Lego City undercover since I never played it. Lego games in coop are always fun.
If it's the same game then there's no co-op. It's an entirely single player open world GTA style game.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4689 posts
592 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 10:57 am
Lego City Undercover is by far my favorite Lego game but it was a technical mess on WiiU. A PC version would be absolutely amazing and I'd be happy to replay it 1080/60 because the game was that good

If it's the same game then there's no co-op. It's an entirely single player open world GTA style game.
This version apparently has co-op
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2004
3275 posts
121 upvotes
Sherbrooke
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 10:57 am

that re-release will have co-op
http://kotaku.com/lego-city-undercover- ... 1792667957

It's also confirmed at the end of the trailer.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4689 posts
592 upvotes
I have to say, as a home console this thing has a few issues and cant compare to some of the other consoles but as a portable console this thing is on point.

The screen is a nice size and has great quality, the touch screen works well, it looks and feels great in your hands. Other then Battery life, they really knocked it out of the park. WIth how great this latest Zelda is having the ability to take this with me anywhere without losing any sort of quality really is making me feel good about this purchase.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1305 posts
369 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 1:12 pm
I have to say, as a home console this thing has a few issues and cant compare to some of the other consoles but as a portable console this thing is on point.

The screen is a nice size and has great quality, the touch screen works well, it looks and feels great in your hands. Other then Battery life, they really knocked it out of the park. WIth how great this latest Zelda is having the ability to take this with me anywhere without losing any sort of quality really is making me feel good about this purchase.
Pretty much how I feel. The portability and quality of Zelda makes it worth the +$500 for me personally.