PC & Video Games

Nintendo Switch (Project NX) console to ship on March 3rd 2017. Zelda on NX & WiiU

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2017 9:57 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4851 posts
1331 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 11:19 am
This version apparently has co-op
vric wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 11:39 am
that re-release will have co-op
http://kotaku.com/lego-city-undercover- ... 1792667957

It's also confirmed at the end of the trailer.
That's pretty dope but I wonder if it's the main game that will be co-op or if it'll have a seperate co-op mode. It's been a couple years since I played it but I kind of recall some missions being designed around it being single player. Can't wait to see how it turns out
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4851 posts
1331 upvotes
Toronto
Judging by the new trailer, which shows off togetherness after a stunning display of disguise by hero Chase McCain, it looks like Undercover will utilize the same scaling split-screen tech employed by most modern co-op Lego games, with the screen splitting in two when the players are apart. Given the scale of Lego City Undercover’s open environments, that’ll come in real handy.
Neat. Can't wait to replay this on PC with my wife. She wanted to play it with me on WiiU but I had to shrug her aside lmao. We played Lego Marvel Avengers together which used that same scaling split screen and it was awesome
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4851 posts
1331 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 1:12 pm
The screen is a nice size and has great quality, the touch screen works well, it looks and feels great in your hands. Other then Battery life, they really knocked it out of the park. WIth how great this latest Zelda is having the ability to take this with me anywhere without losing any sort of quality really is making me feel good about this purchase.
That's good to hear and I'll probably get one for that purpose eventually when there are more games but I'm still pretty bummed to hear about the screen being so fragile and easily scratched. I really thought we'd be past that by now. Can't imagine how dope it'd be having BOTW anywhere you go, considering I can't put it down at home it'd probably get me in a ton of trouble at work lol
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5692 posts
652 upvotes
Grimsby
I got that combo carrying case + screen protector from Bestbuy but yeah it sucks you have to do that. My phone has been without one for almost 2 years now and its scratchless despite being tossed into a pocket with keys all the time.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2515 posts
279 upvotes
BC

Gorilla glass superior, plastic inferior.
Redmask wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 3:05 pm
I got that combo carrying case + screen protector from Bestbuy but yeah it sucks you have to do that. My phone has been without one for almost 2 years now and its scratchless despite being tossed into a pocket with keys all the time.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4631 posts
574 upvotes
Personally Im okay with the plastic screen, I have kids and they can be destructive and this is much less likely to get completely destroyed.

However there is a serious issue with the dock, I have a screen protector that Id really love not to have to use but I've seen the damage the dock can do as I have a pretty huge scratch on my screen protector right where the rubber pads are on the dock and Id really like to not permanently damage my screen so I'll keep using screen protectors until there is some definitive way to fix it.

I'm amazed these issues weren't caught in the QA/QC phase, or maybe these are just manufacturing defects.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
2200 posts
788 upvotes
Vancouver
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 5:17 pm
I'm amazed these issues weren't caught in the QA/QC phase, or maybe these are just manufacturing defects.
Nintendo did not have a chance to perform process validation testing on the Switch.

If you look at the units shown during the demo tour, Nintendo let the public play with hand assembled EVT samples, which means they were still finalizing the design a month away from launch. There was no time between PVT and full scale manufacturing. This is the reason people are reporting obvious manufacturing defects like warped docks scratching screens.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
509 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 3:05 pm
The trade-off (as I see it) is between having a screen that's very scratch resistant (glass, most phones), or a screen that's shatter resistant (Switch).

So while you can't put the Switch in your pocket / backpack / etc. without a screen protector, the chances of your screen becoming useless after dropping it goes down. I personally believe that an occasional drop is almost unavoidable for a device like this, so Nintendo made the right call.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3196 posts
324 upvotes
Markham
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 1:22 pm
Pretty much how I feel. The portability and quality of Zelda makes it worth the +$500 for me personally.
Zelda is the only reason I have a Switch this early. Snipperclips is the other reason. If the other Nintendo releases is as polished as Zelda, and we continue to get great indie games like Snipperclips, I don't care about lack of 3rd party support. Both these games are worth their price.

Now I just need a portable USB battery solution. One that pushes enough power to charge and play at the same time.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5603 posts
1175 upvotes
Digital Foundry's: I am Setsuna (Switch vs PS4 version) comparison.

Not a graphically demanding game at all but:

1080p 60 frames per second on PS4.
1080p in docked mode on Nintendo Switch at 30 frames per second. 720p and 30 fps in portable mode on the Switch.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5603 posts
1175 upvotes
Fast RMX analysis by Digital Foundry. They compare Fast RMX over its vanilla version on the Wii U (Fast Racing Neo):

Summary:
- The Wii U version is sub 720p native resolution
- The Switch version is 900p dynamic resolution when docked, 720p dynamic resolution when in portable mode with enhanced visuals over the Wii U vanilla game.
Switch version maintains 60 frames per seconds at all times.

Digital Foundry calls Fast RMX on the Switch the best looking portable game ever made.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5692 posts
652 upvotes
Grimsby
Yeah I gave up earlier, I can't stand the joycons in anything but very short bursts. I walked into a Wallys world and grabbed a Switch Pro Controller after striking out at several different Bestbuy and EBGames locations. Walmart had 5 Pro Controllers just sitting there on the shelf and a Switch too surprisingly.

Pro Controller is the way Zelda was meant to be played, wow what a difference. Highly recommended.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
1959 posts
179 upvotes
I actually like the Joycons in the grip a lot. I picked up my DS4 for the first time in a week this morning and it felt really odd. I have pretty small hands though, so I get I'm probably at odds with most people - but it's nice to actually get an official controller that fits me for once. I've used a smaller 3rd party 360 controller for that console and PC for ages because the official one is right on the edge of what's comfortable.
XFactor11 wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 9:46 pm
Fast RMX analysis by Digital Foundry. They compare Fast RMX over its vanilla version on the Wii U (Fast Racing Neo):
Shinen is one of the most astoundingly technically capable developers out there right now. Just about every project they release puts their contemporaries to shame. I'm honestly pretty surprised Nintendo hasn't approached them for a more exclusive arrangement (Hopefully they wise up before Shinen pulls a Factor 5 or something).
Last edited by Ascott on Mar 12th, 2017 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 25, 2009
399 posts
41 upvotes
I can vouch for the Hori protective case and screen protector (non premium version). Both are fantastic! The screen protector is very easy to apply and I can barely tell its on there while playing. I forgot where I read it, but the non premium version is actually supposed to be better since the premium one had the melting issue when docked.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel