PC & Video Games

Nintendo Switch (Project NX) console to ship on March 3rd 2017. Zelda on NX & WiiU

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 7:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17586 posts
1259 upvotes
A DIY fix for the left JoyCon disconnection issue.

R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5859 posts
1229 upvotes
The Switch Pro controller is the best designed Nintendo controller to date IMO.
However, I think it should have been a bit wider for hand placement and the D-pad could be better.
The PS4 controller is more comfortable because of it.

On the Wii U, I mostly use the Wii U Pro controller for the most comfort but the Switch Pro controller is a big upgrade over that one.
The only thing the Switch Pro controller is not good at is scanning in Amiibo. It has an NFC reader built in but it often fails to detect amiibo compared to the Joycons.

EDIT: I found out you have to hold the amiibo in the space next to the d-pad and the share button to get the Pro Controller to scan amiibo properly. Now it works 100%.
The diagram in the game had it wrong.
Redmask wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 10:13 pm
Yeah I gave up earlier, I can't stand the joycons in anything but very short bursts. I walked into a Wallys world and grabbed a Switch Pro Controller after striking out at several different Bestbuy and EBGames locations. Walmart had 5 Pro Controllers just sitting there on the shelf and a Switch too surprisingly.

Pro Controller is the way Zelda was meant to be played, wow what a difference. Highly recommended.
Last edited by XFactor11 on Mar 12th, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1677 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
Some thoughts about the few Switch games I played:

BOTW: The reviews are right. This will be a classic. About 10 hours in, and I feel like I only scratched the surface of this game.

My only gripe about this game is that I wish there was a percentage counter in the beginning of the game to tell us how many shrines, animals, fruits, weapons etc are there.

Super Bomberman R: It's hard to recommend this game at retail price. It has an outdated progression system where you return to the beginning of the world if you lose your lives and currency. The music is horrible. The gameplay itself is not too bad, but it lacks variety. Maps also lack variety.

Snipperclips: This is the game to showcase the Joy-con features. I liked playing the basketball and air hockey mini-games. Only enjoyable with 1-3 other people. Could have had a fleshed out single player mode.

The cutesy animations will turn some people off.

Fast RMX: I felt it was a little clunky. Not as accessible as I would have liked it to be. The graphics are great, but the tracks are barebones. $25 is a little steep for it, would have been $10-15 on any other platform.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4734 posts
603 upvotes
I ended up actually calling up Nintendo regarding my left Joycon as I had some big issues over the weekend and it seems to be even worse then most reports Ive heard and they have offered to replace it for free.

I have 6 months to send it in so Im just going to wait a few weeks and see if Nintendo provides some offical word on this issue. I really dont want to send it in and be without the console for a week or two for them to just send me back another broken ish one.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3505 posts
393 upvotes
This article actually changed my mind to get a switch. Price of Nintendo console used to be competitive because it doesn't have much raw power compare to others. However the price of the console came out more expensive than expected. Now the same game costs more on switch than on other platform. On top of that Nintendo is selling the digital version of the game the same price as the physical version. Price of the console is a one shot thing but game is a long term investment.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1677 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 12:30 pm
I ended up actually calling up Nintendo regarding my left Joycon as I had some big issues over the weekend and it seems to be even worse then most reports Ive heard and they have offered to replace it for free.

I have 6 months to send it in so Im just going to wait a few weeks and see if Nintendo provides some offical word on this issue. I really dont want to send it in and be without the console for a week or two for them to just send me back another broken ish one.
You have to return the entire console or just the left Joy-con?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4734 posts
603 upvotes
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 4:56 pm
You have to return the entire console or just the left Joy-con?
Just the left joycon, They didnt ask for the system and the right works totally fine.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5080 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 5:06 pm
Just the left joycon, They didnt ask for the system and the right works totally fine.
yikes that's going to be interesting once it becomes mainstream news. I guess it already is but I think most people are under the impression that it's going to be or already fixed with a software update. If everyone effected has to return their left joycon that's crazy
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4734 posts
603 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 5:18 pm
yikes that's going to be interesting once it becomes mainstream news. I guess it already is but I think most people are under the impression that it's going to be or already fixed with a software update. If everyone effected has to return their left joycon that's crazy
Honestly from reading around I think its a YMMV type situtation. I think its an issue with everyone but the severity of the issue is the part that is YMMV.

In my case Im sitting no more then 6-8 feet from my switch and Im frequently losing connections and at times my controller would completely disconnect and Id have to actually get up and re-attach it to the switch to get it to re-sync. In addition to that any sort of interference ie. putting my legs up or someone walking in front will kill the connection as well.

I feel like if everyone was having the same issue I was the outcry would be much much louder.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5819 posts
708 upvotes
Grimsby
It's definitely happened to me a few times, we sit about 9-10 feet back from the entertainment center. If I didn't already dislike the joycons I would probably care more, I guess I'm just resigned to using the Pro controller when I'm at home and the toycons when I'm out.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2570 posts
301 upvotes
BC
I'm hearing whispers confirming that the soc in the Switch is indeed identical to the shieldtv soc, but clocked down due to power constraints. This would imply that Nintendo did not add any custom hardware to the soc, but probably got a sweetheart deal from Nvidia on pricing.

Chipworks is taking die shots of the soc and analyzing it like they did with the WiiU.

On a side note, does everyone remember the shieldtv shortages and quick discontinuation? It could of been because the chips were saved up for Nintendo.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10510 posts
563 upvotes
Ren wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 10:18 am
I'm hearing whispers confirming that the soc in the Switch is indeed identical to the shieldtv soc, but clocked down due to power constraints. This would imply that Nintendo did not add any custom hardware to the soc, but probably got a sweetheart deal from Nvidia on pricing.

Chipworks is taking die shots of the soc and analyzing it like they did with the WiiU.

On a side note, does everyone remember the shieldtv shortages and quick discontinuation? It could of been because the chips were saved up for Nintendo.
It's possible. Not saying its been easy to get a preorder of the Switch but Nintendo did expect to have 2 million units hit the market in a month which is a lot by their standards.

I remember being forced to line up a week after release at a random Zellers just to secure 1 of 6 Wii's they had.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2004
3275 posts
121 upvotes
Sherbrooke
I guess I'm lucky. I received my switch yesterday and the first thing I tried was the joycon connectivity. For me, both joy con works at 12-15ft. Even behing an inside wall. Left joycon start to have problem if I put it behind my back at 8-10ft, but if I don't use my body as obstruction, it has a great range. Even if I cover it with both hands.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
510 upvotes
Ren wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 10:18 am

Wasn't the Shield TV discontinuation in late 2016, with the gen 2 Shield TV coming out and being steadily available since January?