PC & Video Games

Nintendo Switch (Project NX) console to ship on March 3rd 2017. Zelda on NX & WiiU

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 7:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2570 posts
301 upvotes
BC
UnCeo wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 6:37 pm
Wasn't the Shield TV discontinuation in late 2016, with the gen 2 Shield TV coming out and being steadily available since January?
It could of taken them a few months to stockpile the chips necessary for the launch. This would be particularly true if they wanted cheaper rates from TSMC.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18854 posts
2455 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Haz wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 4:21 pm
From compiled data, the Switch should have sold 1.5 million units in the first week with 89% of those coupled with Zelda.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... -superdata
That's incredible that Zelda was sold to 89% of the people who bought a Switch. But this does not bode well for third party support. Just 11% of those bought a game not called Zelda.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4735 posts
603 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 9:46 am
That's incredible that Zelda was sold to 89% of the people who bought a Switch. But this does not bode well for third party support. Just 11% of those bought a game not called Zelda.
Im not sure your math adds up here because some people buy more then one game for their systems.

Honestly If I had to guess Id say that a big chunk of that 11% are Scalpers that didnt buy any games.

On a side note this is a system Id actually want to play third party games on, Id take a gimped version of ME:A or Dark Souls just so I could take it on the go.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17587 posts
1259 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 9:50 am
On a side note this is a system Id actually want to play third party games on, Id take a gimped version of ME:A or Dark Souls just so I could take it on the go.
Gimped as in 720p30 with probably lower resolution textures on a portable is more than acceptable to me for AAA games. There certainly is a market for that especially for people like me who grew up in the 80s and 90s and don't have the time for couch gaming anymore.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
6158 posts
1301 upvotes
Oakville/Toronto
I purchased https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01E75 ... UTF8&psc=1 to charge my Switch in the car or other places but the USB-C doesn't fit, I might be an idiot but I was sure this would work but it doesn't fit in properly, and I don't want to force it. Anyone purchase a different charging cable they can recommend?
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1677 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
sandikosh wrote:
I don't think that the entire 89% just picked up Zelda. Some people may have bought 2-3 games, others may have not bought a game at all.

I'm sure a portion of that 89% would might have picked up third party titles such as Super Bomberman R and Just Dance 2017.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2032 posts
190 upvotes
Yeah, I have Zelda and Fast RMX right now. I'm planning to pick up Blaster Master Zero and I'm really thinking about Voez after trying the freemium version on Android.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6567 posts
906 upvotes
Any suggestion to locate a unit for people that didn't preorder?? Family just heard this new console out and called everywhere but obviously no luck. We are trying to avoid the kijiji scalper at the moment. Thx.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1361 posts
400 upvotes
hdom wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 5:14 pm
Any suggestion to locate a unit for people that didn't preorder?? Family just heard this new console out and called everywhere but obviously no luck. We are trying to avoid the kijiji scalper at the moment. Thx.
If you look on here or kijiji some people are selling at retail price or close to it.

I bought mine from someone on here and paid the same price as in the store.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5861 posts
1230 upvotes
Nintendo Switch load time tests done by Digital Foundry:

Summary:

Therefore, for those that buy games digitally, the more expensive Class 10 and above ultra or extreme speed micro SD cards make a negligible difference in load times over
the slower, and less expensive ultra class cards. If you want to buy a micro SD card for extra storage for digitally downloaded games,
they recommend buying larger capacity over faster advertised card speed.

The physical game cartridges load almost as fast as the Ultra speed micro SD cards. Only a second or two behind.

Loading a save file from the Zelda physical Switch game cartridge takes 35 seconds.
Loading Zelda from the internal 32GB storage in the Switch: 30 seconds. (put the digital downloadable version directly on the Switch's built-in storage)
Zelda loading from a 16GB SD ultra card 34 seconds (put the digital downloadable version on a micro SD Ultra SD card)
Zelda loading from a 64GB SD Extreme Speed card 34 seconds. (put the digital downloadable version on a faster micro Extreme Plus SD card)

Warping between areas using the teleport to previously visited shrine ability:

Switch game cartridge - 32.41 seconds
internal built-in storage - 27 seconds
16 gb micro Ultra SD card - 30.56 seconds
64 gb faster Extreme micro SD card - 31.27 seconds
Last edited by XFactor11 on Mar 16th, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6567 posts
906 upvotes
Thx. I am in Calgary and kijiji posts here are asking min. $500 and more for neon colors so probably will keep looking.
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 5:23 pm
If you look on here or kijiji some people are selling at retail price or close to it.

I bought mine from someone on here and paid the same price as in the store.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5861 posts
1230 upvotes
There seems to be only 5 playable characters to choose from in Nintendo's upcoming fighting game Arms.
I played it at the Toronto Nintendo Switch event but I was not that impressed.
It plays like a mix of Wii Sports Boxing and Punch-out, but perhaps not as good as Punch-out Wii.

Although I only spent 5 minutes playing the tutorial and then played one match against another player.

Nintendo just released a new video introducing the 5 characters.

Actually according to this interview there should be more than 5 playable characters.
It remains to be seen if Nintendo will roll out more info as the release date approaches.
http://nintendoeverything.com/arms-prod ... rols-more/

Last edited by XFactor11 on Mar 20th, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1677 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder if Nintendo will have a Direct (or whatever they call it these days) between now and E3, especially if ARMS is supposed to be a Q2 2016 title.

Other things they can possible announce soon are the release dates of Switch/3DS games like Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, Ever Oasis and Pikmin. And perhaps more more information on the future of Virtual Console and their online service on the Switch.

Would make sense for a Direct in April. One where they also pat themselves on the back for a successful Switch launch.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4735 posts
603 upvotes
Ive been enjoying the console and Zelda so much I kind of forgot about how upset I was when I found it this wouldnt launch with any type of VC.

Im real eager now to see what plans they have for that as well as some more details for the online service. The parental controls being a seperate app is suprisingly smart and intuitive so Im interested to see how that plays out with the online stuff.

Im also eager to hear more about VC Games. I can see myself getting a lot of mileage out of VC games on this device.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
5936 posts
1667 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:
The other 11% are in scalpers hands.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

cudrax