PC & Video Games

Nintendo Switch (Project NX) console to ship on March 3rd 2017. Zelda on NX & WiiU

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2017 10:18 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1355 posts
395 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 10:59 am
Nope not coming today, the only way we are playing it this weekend is if I do a slightly shady buy and return dance from a local retailer. I think we can survive without it, though. :)
That's weird as it looks like I'm getting mine from Amazon no problem and I just ordered it recently too...
Apr 24, 2017
749 posts
269 upvotes
Waterloo
just got mine delivered from amazon via canada post around 11:30am
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5076 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
Ren wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 11:32 am
Of course. The benefits of IPS have nothing to do with resolution.
oh ok was there a specific problem you saw with the existing 3DS models that you expect an IPS panel would fix? I had an original 3DS and then an XL and haven't noticed any issues aside from the low resolution and aliasing but it's not really a problem for the art style most games use
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1677 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
Picked up Mario Kart 8: Deluxe by swapping Dragon Quest Heroes 2 (EB Games T2 promo). The Switch makes Mario Kart 8 a much better experience. Glad they added the new battle mode. This will be my go to multi-player game when I have guests over.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1677 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 10:04 am
Did anyone get Puyo Puyo Tetris?

I kept going back to the demo for some reason so I decided to buy it and the game is crack and something about having a proper tetris on a Nintendo handheld just feels right.

Ive never played Puyo Puyo before so Im just learning the ropes, it seems sort of difficult to train your brain to make high combos but I think Im getting the hang out of it and its incredibly satisifying to set up a 5+ combo.
I liked the Demo, but the price point (even with Amazon Prime) is a bit high for me. Would be the perfect bargain bin game a few months down the road.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
4401 posts
180 upvotes
Best Buy Milton received a huge shipment of Switches, both SKU's in case anyone is interested
C:\RFD>ih8lowballers.bat_
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
6754 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 1:58 pm
I liked the Demo, but the price point (even with Amazon Prime) is a bit high for me. Would be the perfect bargain bin game a few months down the road.
You do know nintendo games rarely end up in bargain bins.

They keep the highest resell value of all consoles. Except for the lego games.
Apr 10, 2012
630 posts
253 upvotes
PCDawg wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 3:41 pm

But we'll probably see a bunch of the smaller/indie games hit Kijiji with decent discounts, once people are done with them. A lot of people (who don't want to re-play) try to recoup some of the cost of games by selling their copy. If you're in no rush, you can just wait it out until people move on to a new game and sell the ones they don't play.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1677 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
PCDawg wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 3:41 pm

Puyo Puyo Tetris is not a Nintendo game. It's a budget title from Sega released on all platforms. It's destined to hit the under $30 bin. Same thing happened with Sega published games on the Wii.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5852 posts
1229 upvotes
Puyo Puyo Tetris is on Nintendo Switch and PS4. Puyo Puyo Tetris only received an XBox One release in Japan.
The Switch version has the advantage of playing it both on the TV and taking it on the go anywhere in portable mode.

Right now my Nintendo Switch game recommendations (out of the games I own or previously owned):

Essential:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - one of the best local and online multiplayer games ever. The best and most fun racing game ever made IMO.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Maybe:
Puyo Puyo Tetris - Try the demo. Swap mode really sells it IMO. Really enjoyable but not a must-have game like the two above.

Not recommended:

Snipperclips (not that good after you know the solutions, low replayability). Doing what you intend to do can get frustrating in local multiplayer.

Lego City Undercover - I dislike the writing of the jokes and the dialogue in this game. LEGO is the Funko Pop of video games IMO. Hate the aesthetic and dumbed-down parody style.

1, 2 Switch. - I am only keeping it as a demo for HD rumble. Most of the minigames are awful.

Super Bomberman R - One of the worst Bomberman games I've played. Annoying sound design and it had input lag, and poor online netcode at launch (very laggy).
I traded it in after a few days. Only ran at 30 fps at launch but felt lower than that because of input lag.

Digital Foundry says Super Bomberman R has received a 60 fps patch for local and online multiplayer and also removed a lot of the buggy input lag it had before.
To achieve this, the developers dropped the resolution of the game down to 720p in those modes.
With the patch, campaign mode gets bumped up to an unlocked framerate and it hovers around 44 fps, which is not ideal but still an improvement over the 30 fps it was before.

Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2570 posts
301 upvotes
BC
ReeGee wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 12:51 pm
oh ok was there a specific problem you saw with the existing 3DS models that you expect an IPS panel would fix? I had an original 3DS and then an XL and haven't noticed any issues aside from the low resolution and aliasing but it's not really a problem for the art style most games use
Yes, I'd prefer the brighter screen with better viewing angles and better color reproduction. 10 years from now, a dual ips 3DS/2DS will probably quite sought after as well.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5852 posts
1229 upvotes
It's good that Sega did not censor Shezo's creepy innuenduous dialog in the English localization of Puyo Puyo Tetris' Story mode.
Sega's translators stayed faithful to the character of the Japanese version. Nintendo will often censor when they localize games developed by Nintendo of Japan's studios.